BBS02 motor health with 42t lekkie bling ring off road

bobbacon

1 mW
Hi. So I wanted to see if I could find some people running a 42t bling ring with 10 or 11 speed setup with a 42t in the rear, for trail riding. I failed miserably trying to use a 32t chainring a few months back, by removing 3 out of 11 sprocket to improve an impossible chainline, and destroyed the rear hub(trying to put that £100 setback behind me!). Want to give it another go with a 42t bling ring because of the 9mm offset, and hopefully be able to use the 42t in the back. I always run my bbs02 on my other town bike with a 34t for high rpm's while climbing 15-20% hills, so what I'm wondering now is, will a BBS02 have to struggle too much climbing 12-17% hills with such a big chainring as 42t because of lower rpm's?
I should add that my MTB have 27.5" wheels and a 2.25" rear tire, and I weigh about 65 kilos or 144 lbs.

Thanks for any input,

Simon

MY BBS02 can easily spin out on 20% grades with a 42t front / 42t rear so low RPM's aren't an issue.

Hi, I've got a very similar set up, BBS02 750W on 52Volts and presently run a 42T bling ring on a full suspension Scott Spark ( 18 kgs inclusive of the motor ). Seems to be working well and only very very occasionally I get a derailed chain in the smaller gears. Since putting on the bling ring I have very few of these. Toyed with the idea of a 10 spd 42 -11T rear sprocket but stayed with the steel rear 10 speed cassette 36 - 11T I had sitting about and not really regretting that as the torque and power from the motor is such that you can get up the steepest hills without a problem.

Do really work at getting the motor to sit in properly on the crank side, my carbon frame had to be modified quite a bit to allow the engine to sit in far enough to get decent chain lines, I think I'm about the 4th ring in now with the offset of the bling ring.

When I first installed it, the engine was programmed so badly it was nearly impossible to ride in the steepest single track. I've since programmed it to "Karls Sauce" and since then I've softened the way the engine powers in even further just to take some of the immediate torque out of the chain line. I've also fitted a twist throttle which means you can have a pretty low power input and control the immediate power in the real knarly stuff much like a petrol enduro bike. I'm pretty happy with it now.

We live in quite steep hills with lots of narrow single track and the trick is to get into the correct gear sooner than you probably would on a normal mtb as the motors are so torquey, that then can really strain things when trying to shift on those larger rings. I have also got into the habit of on the larger gears at the back of back pedaling about a quarter of a turn to kill the motor momentarily and by decreasing the amount of pedal movement in the programming settings, get a sooner take up of the motor once the gear has changed. It seems to work well and I have no problem using all 10 speeds.

In the next build I'll fit a 150mm hub which further offset the hub giving a better chain line, most rears can be " stretched "

Waynemarlow said:
Hi, I've got a very similar set up, BBS02 750W on 52Volts and presently run a 42T bling ring on a full suspension Scott Spark ( 18 kgs inclusive of the motor ). Seems to be working well and only very very occasionally I get a derailed chain in the smaller gears. Since putting on the bling ring I have very few of these. Toyed with the idea of a 10 spd 42 -11T rear sprocket but stayed with the steel rear 10 speed cassette 36 - 11T I had sitting about and not really regretting that as the torque and power from the motor is such that you can get up the steepest hills without a problem.

Do really work at getting the motor to sit in properly on the crank side, my carbon frame had to be modified quite a bit to allow the engine to sit in far enough to get decent chain lines, I think I'm about the 4th ring in now with the offset of the bling ring.

When I first installed it, the engine was programmed so badly it was nearly impossible to ride in the steepest single track. I've since programmed it to "Karls Sauce" and since then I've softened the way the engine powers in even further just to take some of the immediate torque out of the chain line. I've also fitted a twist throttle which means you can have a pretty low power input and control the immediate power in the real knarly stuff much like a petrol enduro bike. I'm pretty happy with it now.

We live in quite steep hills with lots of narrow single track and the trick is to get into the correct gear sooner than you probably would on a normal mtb as the motors are so torquey, that then can really strain things when trying to shift on those larger rings. I have also got into the habit of on the larger gears at the back of back pedaling about a quarter of a turn to kill the motor momentarily and by decreasing the amount of pedal movement in the programming settings, get a sooner take up of the motor once the gear has changed. It seems to work well and I have no problem using all 10 speeds.

In the next build I'll fit a 150mm hub which further offset the hub giving a better chain line, most rears can be " stretched "

I forgot to mention that the drive I have on my townbike is 500w model, so I get why you guys haven't got problems reaching high rpms, especially at 52 volts. Well, seems like a good idea to try again, but this time with bling ring, although I'm still unsure why my freehub broke. Either it was something I caused by removing three sprockets and using spacers, or it was simply the motor power that crunched it. I did notice that the big weather seal was a bit squashed and so the freehub was full of grime.I should make another post about destroyed pawls in freehubs perhaps, to see if more people have had them crunched.

cbh9PiG.png

forSxm9.jpg

this climb has super steep sections in it like 50%. i don't think the 42t will cut it.

here i'm using a 34t narrow-wide chainring on an adapter so this has the worst possible chainline, but i did move my rear cogs outboard by editing the cassette. the important thing is that it WORKS and climbs anything

and the NW chainring is $15 a pop to replace. something to think about because these aluminum rings do wear out

can someone do me a huge favor? Measuring the distance between adjacent bolts on their lekkie bling ring or on their adapter (the smaller bolt diameter portion, not the 110 or 130 BCD part)

Overclocker said:
[
here i'm using a 34t narrow-wide chainring on an adapter so this has the worst possible chainline, but i did move my rear cogs outboard by editing the cassette. the important thing is that it WORKS and climbs anything

and the NW chainring is $15 a pop to replace. something to think about because these aluminum rings do wear out

Yeah I did that once but that's what possibly killed my hub, but probably not. Puts me in a headache kind of situation because I have a new hub of the same make as the one that broke, but I don't dare trying running the motor through it again. I removed 3 cogs and replaced with spacers, and it ran okay for a few days, bit when I opened it up after it broke I noticed that the seal was bent and muck had entered. Possibly that's why the pawl broke off. To be honest I can't understand how the seal got damaged from the modification of the cassette. So my conclusion is that the hub just wasn't strong enough for the motor.

I use a precialps 42t on my bbs02 which is similar to the lekkie, I ride mostly off road and it's pretty good with 10sp 42t -11t cassette. It climbs steep stuff ok but nowhere near as well as when I had a 36t race Face narrow wide with adapter but the chain line was terrible and I was constantly dropping the chain.

Richw said:
I use a precialps 42t on my bbs02 which is similar to the lekkie, I ride mostly off road and it's pretty good with 10sp 42t -11t cassette. It climbs steep stuff ok but nowhere near as well as when I had a 36t race Face narrow wide with adapter but the chain line was terrible and I was constantly dropping the chain.
Yeah I'm gonna try the lekkie. Had 32t, was awesome while it worked. Thanks everybody for your ideas and input.

Back