BBSHD gear cover preload

sysrq

1 kW
Looks like tightening the gear cover also sets the preload on the thurst bearings, since the axle resistance increases too much when tightening the Lekkie cover to a specified 6 Nm.
In some videos the specified torque for M5 bolts was 3 Nm.
So is this actually used to deal in the preload on thurst bearings? Couldn't find any other discussions about it despite reports that BBSHD is the most documented mid-drive available.
Had no other choice but to leave them at 2 Nm to keep the axle resistance normal.
Might add some loctite as specified by fasterbikes.eu
Couldn't find the official BBSHD service manual.

I don't think the cover screws are supposed to be any kind of adjustment. It's possible the tolerances on one or more parts was off slightly, causing preload of the bearing. It may be possible to insert a shim to give the required clearance and still torque the screws down to the proper tightness. Maybe something like a paper gasket on the gear cover or even some kind of glue.

I don't think the cover screws are supposed to be any kind of adjustment. It's possible the tolerances on one or more parts was off slightly, causing preload of the bearing. It may be possible to insert a shim to give the required clearance and still torque the screws down to the proper tightness. Maybe something like a paper gasket on the gear cover or even some kind of glue.
Using thicker paper gasket would move the main gear out of parallel with the pinion gear by a fraction. I think only one gasket thickness is available.

Back