Bearing inner diameter of a large idler wheel?

BlueGoose

10 mW
What is the inner bearing diameter of larger derailleur idlers? Is it 8mm or larger? I see they have a large bearings, then static reducers are on both sides to fit the derailleur.

I have a recumbent and it has plastic idlers to guide the long chain below the frame. The bolt through the idlers is 8mm. The stronger motor will chew up the plastic idler. I hope to fit metal idlers, something like 16T or 20T or similar.

I guess it depends on the specific jockey wheel. This one is a fair bit larger bearing than you're probably looking at, for instance
1704517179500.png

For the jockey wheels meant to replace existing wheels in existing derailer cages, their bearing IDs are probalby going to be the same as the IDs of the bushings in the wheels they would replace, like these
1704517412853.png

I dont' recall the size and didnt' see it in a quick google, but thsi page
for bolts for these says they're 5mm, which sounds right.
1704517511382.png\

This page
is specifcally for the bearings, and specifies them as 626-2rs, which calls out dimensions of 6 x 19 x 6 mm.
as does this page

But if the wheels you get have pressed-in bearings you can look at sites like BD above and find ones that have the same OD and width, but larger or smaller ID, most likely.

Or if you need a much larger ID than otherwise possible with the bearing, use bushings instead; I'm sure someone has worn those out in these applications, but in the derailers I've had I've worn the teeth off the wheels long before I ever wore the bushings or bolts even on the cheapest stuff I've ever had. I've never had the "good stuff" so dont' know if those fare even better or not.

BTW, depending on the placment of your idler, if you're able/willing to do the DIY you could use an old rear hub with thread-on freewheel mount as the idler mount, securing the hub to the frame in place of the idler arm/etc., (or securing it to the arm), or even just the flange/threaded section, cutting away the rest of the hub.

Then put a freewheel of your choice on that, singlespeed if it would work, or even a multispeed that has had all the sprockets except the one you want removed, and plates installed either side of it instead.

Since you don't need the ratchet function, you can remove the pawls to eliminate the noise.

BTW, depending on the placment of your idler, if you're able/willing to do the DIY you could use an old rear hub with thread-on freewheel mount as the idler mount, securing the hub to the frame in place of the idler arm/etc., (or securing it to the arm), or even just the flange/threaded section, cutting away the rest of the hub.

Then put a freewheel of your choice on that, singlespeed if it would work, or even a multispeed that has had all the sprockets except the one you want removed, and plates installed either side of it instead.

Since you don't need the ratchet function, you can remove the pawls to eliminate the noise.
I could do that. I will first try to locate idlerwheels.

BMX freewheel with the ratchet removed.
This spacer is made from delrin, wood probably works too.
Aluminum cage needs to have minimum clearance to the chain to keep it from jumping off over bumps.
image_50750977.JPG

All of the standard thread-on freewheels like that are the same ID and threading:
1.375" x 24 tpi

You can make the "core" (spacer) with a hole saw. ;) It doesn't matter if the core piece is threaded or not, it just has to be big enough to fill the ID of the FW so it doesn't rattle around on the bolt.

If you can use the whole rear hub off something, you can use it's axle to bolt it to your frame (or whatever bracket mounts to the frame) and leave the bearings intact and the whole hub will spin.

Or you can remove all the bearings and use just part of the hub with the threaded section and part of the core, and use the axle (or a bolt of appropriate size) to attach the hub to frame/bracket, "pinning' the hub so it doesn't spin but hte FW still does.

Last edited:
PaPaSteve, that makes sense. Where can this be obtained? What is the ID of the freewheel?
DIY project . . . correct ?
BMX freewheels can found lots of places including used.
They are available for 1/8" and 3/32" width chains.
A derailleur bike wants the narrow width.
Disassemble the freewheel to remove the ratchet pawls otherwise it will make noise.
Watch out . . . probably 60 small bearings that can pour out all over the place, use a catch pan during the opening.
When done carefully the bearings will stay in place.
The delrin adapter was made on a lathe.
For a home DIY I could imagine drilling a hole in a piece of wood dowel, place a bolt thru it, spin the wood with a drill motor then sand down to a diameter that fits the freewheel.

Back