• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Best Controller for LR´s Mid-Drive Kit

Hexa

10 mW
Hello Guys,
after playing days with my Adaptto mini-e, reading the whole Adaptto Owners Thread for getting any helpful Information, writing Emails to Adapttos support and writing with Mike i finally understand that the BIG BLOCK Kit from Lighting Rod and the Adaptto controller are not compatible.
The only way i got this combination working was to set the Adaptto Controller to SLESS. But this is only an emergency Mode and with an Power set higher than 2000W, my Motor starts to oscillate very hard between 0% and 100% Throttle. It behaves like rotate the throttle very fast.
So this Combination is just not driveable :(

I really don´t want to miss the BMS and the Charge option of this beautiful Controller but there is no other way to get my Bike running :|

So what Controller would be the best Choice for my BIG BLOCK?
I know Mike recommends the Lyen 18 Fet with an CA 3 but i think an Sine wave controller will do the job better, right?

Mike also wrote that he is working together with Grin Technologies to get his Motor working with their new Field Oriented Controller that is supposed to have many of the advantages of the Adaptto.
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/controllers/c-phaserunner.html

Warm Regards

Hexa

The lyen does rip real nicely...I think it's pretty much the best tried and true solution at the moment.

The Phaserunner is in pre-infancy (i.e. hasn't even begun to determine settings) so unless you're willing to wait until grin has had a chance to try it with the LR kit, you'll just be in the waiting game wishing you got a lyen from Mike.

Hexa,

are trying to put the hex on us? You say:

that is supposed to have many of the advantages of the Adaptto.

Interesting? In the same post you can tell us several shortfalls of the Adaptto and then go tells how good it is -- "...advantages of Adaptto.

From what I gather the Adaptto is not very adaptive?

Here is a tutorial from Texas Instruments on BLDC motors and this video leads to some more TI youtubes vids on BLDC motors and control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQunSe2_FM

On TI's set up the middle set of coils are not active when it is near the indeterminate zone[e-magnet about directly over perm magnet], the pusher coil and puller coil however are active and now at their best pulling angle. These motors are not ac generators/motors that produce or are built such that sinewaves are best. Ebike motors may be more quiet with sinusoidal controllers because the power signal decays sinusoidally resulting in less pull at off angles than PWM gives but with PWM as you know from Calculus? you can approximate a sine curve easily with narrow rectangles of changing height. How likely is it that BLDC's motors will be build as AC generator producing 60 Hz Ac even though they are capable of regen [wild currents]?

At any rate when the electromagnet is between the two permanent magnets, the e-magnet is leaving the repelling zone and entering the next attraction zone. Somewhere in this zone [the middle] is the best pulling angle for attraction and the best pushing angle angle for a repulsion. Is the top of a sine wave at center fitted to the voltage applied into this zone and it falls to zero at the indeterminant or dead center spot?

But why even bother with driving the voltage to zero [near] the dead center as the sinusoidal driving power around that zone is quite low and you need more sensing refinement to determine the dead point precisely.

Back