Best hub motor for EEB frame? Is EEB frame the best option?

mbgjt1

100 W
Hello all.

I need some advice from the experienced e-bikers out there.

I would like to build an e-bike, similar to the stealth bomber B52 (but at a much lower cost)!

Looking at Aliexpress and Alibaba, I haven't really found too many options for frames. The one that keeps popping up is the Enduro E-bike frame, similar to the one in the following link:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=enduro+ebike+frame&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=NBegLgqcGGSHwM%252Cugu27l9u7se8TM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTnDHtmLoXW9uTwbqXDLsk9C_UC_g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbrKfivv7rAhVJU30KHeaxBcgQ9QF6BAgOEF0&biw=958&bih=936#imgrc=NBegLgqcGGSHwM

I have a few issues with this frame:

1) I would like to be able to carry two people on this bike (combined weight of 130 - 140 kg). Can this hold?

2) I would like to take this bike off roading, maybe not full jumps but some hard trails would be good. Will this frame hold?

3) It is 15 kg! Is there anything lighter and offering the same strength?

Now for the motor... I would love to go with a 8 kW hub motor. I found this company which seems like they offer quality products and a good price:

http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_read/120KPH%20High%20Speed%20Electric%20bike%20hub%20motor%208000W%20273%2050H%20V3%20Brushless%20in%20wheel%20hub%20motor/264.html

However, the enduro bike frame has a 150 mm drop out, whilst the 8 kW motor has a 190 mm drop out. Is it worth custom building a wider rear swivel arm to accommodate the rear wheel?

Also, this motor is quite heavy (20 kg). Any experience with a unsprung weight of 20kg on the back wheel, will this cause damage to the wheel and the shocks, as well as premature wear and tear? What would be the best balance of weight and power, going down to 5kW?

I'm concerned that going down to 5kW would not give me the same acceleration and would get boring quickly.

I would like to achieve a crazy fast acceleration, not too concerned about top speed (anything 90 - 100kph would be good)!

Sorry about the 1000 questions, but I'm really stuck!

Am I going about it the right way? Should I be looking at a mid drive motor similar to the Sur Ron?

I wouldn't mind going for the Sur Ron but factoring in all the upgrades etc to make it go as quick as possible, I think the cost will be ridiculous .

Let me know what you think

Thanks

mbgjt1 said:
I would like to build an e-bike, similar to the stealth bomber B52 (but at a much lower cost)!

Maybe provide your budget in order to determine if what you want and what you're willing to pay for it is realistic.

Eeb construction wise is bottom of the barrel mild steel. Unless it is the only way of meeting your requirements I would look elsewhere, even then, I would get a variant, like the vector frame for example.

Back