Best Kit Parts available on Amazon

ryan

10 kW
I have an opportunity to build an ebike for a school project, so long as all parts are purchased through a tight list of approved vendors (essentially limited to Amazon as far as ebike parts are concerned).

I have a 26" donor schwinn, ~$1000 of budget for motor, controller, battery, and cycle analyst (or passable alternative). I have boxes of parts from other ebike builds to fill in the gaps.

Are there any successful stories here of bikes built from Amazon parts?

Battery?
Controller?
Motor? (DD, Front Hub)
Kit? (any kit worth it these days?)

It's been 8 years or so since I built a bike, and the only vendor I recognize on Amazon is BAFANG. I'd appreciate your help getting caught up. Thanks so much.

My performance expectations for this build are very low. I've only built big bikes with heavy motors and batteries in the past. If I can get a flat 10-15 miles at 20-25mph on a $1k budget, I'd be impressed.

Do you have to buy each part individually or can you buy a kit?

If its a kit just go ahead and buy Voiamart, they are 1kw direct drive motors and I think people have purchased off Amazon website.

I don't know where you can buy a Cycle Analyst on Amazon, I'm sure its possible, you dont need it and will eat up a big chunk of your $1k budget.

I don't know where you can buy a battery on Amazon, but it to will eat up a big chunk of your budget, its possible to buy no doubt but will it be a known entity selling it, known quality battery..... who knows. Are you a gambler?
This seller is pulled from random off Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/MXS-Ebike-Battery-Bicicletas-Electricas/dp/B08BR9394G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ebike%2Bbattery&qid=1611526806&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1
You can cheap out on a small small battery (10Ah) instead of a normal sized battery (20Ah) in terms of how far you can ride, Amp-Hour (Ah).

Remember you'll also need a charger and torque arms. You can make your own torque arms out of flat steel and an angle grinder, but t.a.'s are cheap. Its just a matter of your budget I guess.

Actually, in trying to find the Voilmart Amazon website I came across this, it says 1500W hub motor so who really knows if its like the Leaf or not, I am doubtful. Its 48V 35A which is 1680W, but you can do the same with a 500W motor so it dont matter, sellers will do anything to sell!
It is probably just a 1kw, but it has the KT display, good alternative to the expensive Cycle Analyst you could pawn that off as an "alternative" to your teacher :lol:
8)
https://www.amazon.com/NBpower-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion-flywheel/dp/B07XHLPFBF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=voilamart+ebike+hub+motor&qid=1611526104&sr=8-1

So the total comes to $700 without the bike, remember to match the hub motor wheel size to your bicycle size. The 7 speed that comes in the kit can be changed out. And the rim and spokes are never quality, unless you buy from Grintech, EM3EV or build your own.
Buy spare throttles.

As long as it's on Amazon, it's okay.

It can be a full kit. Or a batteries-not-included kit, so long as there's a reasonable battery for the kit on Amazon. Or from all separate vendors.

I don't recognize the vendors anymore and don't want to end up with garbage. I trust ES experience 1000% more than Amazon review.

As far as CA's go, I've never used anything else. At its most essential, I need something to estimate range. That's it.

I should have a handful of chargers and power supplies available from previous builds. So budget can go toward the rest.

The Leaf seems like a great option.

Yeah I heard Unit Pack Power batteries are good, I did not realize they sold on Amazon.
Are they shipping from China or do they have a warehouse in USA?

Cycle Analyst is not essential.
Over time you get an idea of how much range you have left, by how far you've ridden over what terrain and the responsiveness of the motor due to battery level.

You need to next look into if you want a direct drive motor, geared motor or a mid drive. Each has their pro's and con's for what you are riding, all easily found here on ES, use the search function.

At its most essential, I need something to estimate range.

ryan said:
How about 48V 20Ah Triangle Ebike Battery from UPP Factory for $389.71T52BxRRrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

markz said:
Yeah I heard Unit Pack Power batteries are good, I did not realize they sold on Amazon.
Are they shipping from China or do they have a warehouse in USA?

Yep they shipped from the US. Actually I just ordered a unit pack battery from Amazon 72v. The seller also gave me a custom BMS 👍
They also will build you a battery pack with Panasonic cells and custom sizes. Solid customer service!

ryan said:
Grin Tech is on Amazon. They don't presently have kits there, but if you were to present them with the project you want to do, list of stuff you want on it, perhaps they could put it on Amazon for you to buy. You'd have to talk to them about the idea, cuz I don't know what kind of complications Amazon makes for businesses in this sort of thing.

UPP may have a problem which is delineated in the e bike reviews column below.

I don't like front wheel kits. The only reason I get a front wheel kick if I already had a motor on the rear.
Can you use eBay as eBay has the voliamart 1500 kit 245.00 free shipping from USA.
If you buy a battery from upp make sure it has a balance circuit on his battery manager system and not just hvc and lvc and no balance system.

amberwolf said:
ryan said:
Grin Tech is on Amazon. They don't presently have kits there, but if you were to present them with the project you want to do, list of stuff you want on it, perhaps they could put it on Amazon for you to buy. You'd have to talk to them about the idea, cuz I don't know what kind of complications Amazon makes for businesses in this sort of thing.

This is fantastic! Saving a link that leads to their products: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Grin+Technologies

If I can get a flat 10-15 miles at 20-25mph on a $1k budget, I'd be impressed.

It's doable. IMO, this is the best value kit on Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/EBIKELING-Waterproof-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion/dp/B07MJRVTL2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3P28M6ZCIY9BL&dchild=1&keywords=ebikeling+conversion+kit&qid=1611598094&sprefix=ebikling%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-2

Pretty sure it's a rebadged Bafang SWKX (?). anyhow it's the larger mini and will go about 24 MPH in a 26" whl. on 48Volts.
Available in frt. mount and rear. If you go rear, you will need to buy an 11 sm. tooth free-wheel.
You certainly don't need a Cycle Analyst, especially on your budget. If you are like 95% of the riders here, you will mostly be covering same routes and quickly learn how much you can deviate and explore. Besides, you can add a simple LED Voltmeter which makes a decent fuel gauge".
The best way to avoid "range anxiety" is to get a batt. w/ enough capacity that you don't come close to dis-charging it. And if your budget is hard and fast, you do that by going minimalist on the kit and spending the bulk of your funds on the batt.

If you were not stuck w/ amazon, an even lower cost approach on the hardware would be to start w/ this motor/wheel;

https://jag35.com/collections/accessories/products/26-bafang-36v-dc-electric-bike-wheel-tire-w-tektro-disk-break

It's from a JUMP rental that have been dismantled and is for sure the Bafang I listed above.
You can go w/ this controller and other little stuff from': https://www.pswpower.com/products/36v-48v-500w-brushless-dc-square-wave-controller-ebike-electric-bicycle-hub-motor-controller-with-right-output-30

As with every build, you will/or soon want to upgrade things like tires and add things like, side-stand, better grips, mirror, etc, but that stuff can be added later when more funds are available.

Back