Best/most reliable "mini" geared hub motor?

liontail

100 mW
I run a small electric- and cargo-bike business, and recently started carrying some "250W" geared hub motor kits. They're pretty amazing - at 36V, they give a nice push, they're stealthy and light, and they're efficient. Customers have been reporting 20-25 miles to a charge with 36V, 8.5ah!

I'm currently using the Golden Motor "MGB" motor, and it's held up fine. That said, if I shake it I can hear the gears move and the overall quality from the outside looks pretty low - the spoke holes look like they were hand drilled, and not very well. So I don't completely trust this motor.

My basic question is, of the mini geared hub motors (Bafang SWXK, Cute Q100, Ananda, Golden Motor...), which is the best? In this case, "best" means most reliable and efficient at 36V, 15-20A. Also, cogging and noise level are factors... and looks matter too. And of course, price is a factor.

But most important to me is that the motor lasts a long time (ideally, I'd like for this motor to last 3-5 years). I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, but would especially appreciate hearing from folks who have used the motor for a year or more, or from folks who have had a failure with one of these.

Thanks!

liontail - Where are you?

Take a look at http://www.ypedal.com/
A front wheel kit is the easiest conversion possible, it does not require touching a greasy chain or adjusting a derailleur, it slips into a front bicycle fork for a quick installation to get you on the road with the least possible amount of work.

Everything you need and more included in one box !
Geared, Brushless, hub motor is light weight, efficient, quiet, self contained and zero maintenance.

- Quality double walled, high sidewall rim, with Stainless Eyelets for long service life

- LED Display, simple to understand, on/off ,Speed Adjustable, Battery level.

- Quick Connect color coded, water resistant connectors

- Brushless controller, Weatherized with internal potting sealant

- Both Thumb and Twist throttles included

- E-brake levers, Quality Dia-Compe with adjustable cable pull for all cable brake types

- Motor Wire Extention, Spoke Wrench, Allen Keys, C washers included for FREE

- Lifetime Support from an experienced ebike installer !

Price Only 550 $ with shipping included . Canada and USA.

In Stock = YES

I know nothing about these motors. Ypedal is a moderator here. His name is green.

liontail said:
I run a small electric- and cargo-bike business, and recently started carrying some "250W" geared hub motor kits. They're pretty amazing - at 36V, they give a nice push, they're stealthy and light, and they're efficient. Customers have been reporting 20-25 miles to a charge with 36V, 8.5ah!

I'm currently using the Golden Motor "MGB" motor, and it's held up fine. That said, if I shake it I can hear the gears move and the overall quality from the outside looks pretty low - the spoke holes look like they were hand drilled, and not very well. So I don't completely trust this motor.

My basic question is, of the mini geared hub motors (Bafang SWXK, Cute Q100, Ananda, Golden Motor...), which is the best? In this case, "best" means most reliable and efficient at 36V, 15-20A. Also, cogging and noise level are factors... and looks matter too. And of course, price is a factor.

But most important to me is that the motor lasts a long time (ideally, I'd like for this motor to last 3-5 years). I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, but would especially appreciate hearing from folks who have used the motor for a year or more, or from folks who have had a failure with one of these.

Thanks!

I personally do not have any experience with the brands you suggested. I have however installed 4 small front hub motors on 3 wheel cargo bikes. They were 500 watt, but they come in 350 and 250 watt versions. I used kits from cnebikes. I found them better built than the golden motors. And 2 of them have been running for 2 years, summer/winter rain and snow, without any problems. The other 2 I did last summer only. And their cost before shipping is around the same price as the golden motors.

Wishes

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'd likely be building up a kit somewhat similar to ypedal's, but for local conversions ONLY. Not for online resale. At this point I'm basically looking for the best motor, and am happy to build it to a wheel/source controller + parts myself.

The motor from CNEbikes looks identical to the Golden Motor one that I've been sourcing. The cabling is nice, though - waterproof connectors with a quick disconnect near the axle. Thanks for the tip, Wishes!

I use a XinFeng fromt motor for three years now. Summer + winter riding in -any- weather. My controller is 36V and 14A max (sometimes I limit it to only 10A max which is plenty imho). Others have riding those at 48V and 17A.
If you don't ask them to climb very long and steep hills without signifikant human power and if you don't put obese people on downhill tracks on it it should last quite some time. Cheap Chinese bearings, but you can replace them after a few thousand kms. (I did that already with some of my Cute 85 motors)

Back