Better deal than electric bike?

Yeah, it was the best review I've ever seen, probably of anything. Well done.

That was a cool review. Minhvu certainly changed my perception of these things.

bowlofsalad said:
Apples to oranges. Lets each ride straight out until our battery dies and then see who gets home sooner.

The scooter guy will. As any car can carry the fold down scooter. You either have to peddle the heavy monstrosity of get a ride with someone that has a truck or a large bike rack! :mrgreen:

can anybody see if these are legal in TN?

You could HONESTLY weld up a pedal shaft going to rear wheel on the non sprocket side and have a BICYCLE.

watched the vid...and i want one..

Wouldnt it be cheaper just to build my own...for 1600 I feel like I could build 2-3 of em.seems the 2000w(35mph bike) only runs a 48v 12 lifepo. Imagine running 60v and welding a pedal shaft for some faux or real pedals..faster, cheaper, lighter, and more transportable than a 55 lbs downhill ebike.

Haste said:

Wouldnt it be cheaper just to build my own...for 1600 I feel like I could build 2-3 of em.seems the 2000w(35mph bike) only runs a 48v 12 lifepo. Imagine running 60v and welding a pedal shaft for some faux or real pedals..faster, cheaper, lighter, and more transportable than a 55 lbs downhill ebike.

It's nicely "worked" standup in it's class. They appear to have the battery figured out along with BLDC motor in the 1500 model.

Having ridden brutal NYC roads with something in similar class, one of my concerns would be chain size? Is it #25 or something heftier? Put one of us 250lbs old fat riders slinging around those power levels, #25 can/will be a PITA.

But, for reasonably decent road surfaces, 'don't get much simpler than a standup scootet. Tire service video was a nice practical touch, I wish them well.

Ykick said:
Haste said:

It's nicely "worked" standup in it's class. They appear to have the battery figured out along with BLDC motor in the 1500 model.

Having ridden brutal NYC roads with something in similar class, one of my concerns would be chain size? Is it #25 or something heftier? Put one of us 250lbs old fat riders slinging around those power levels, #25 can/will be a PITA.

But, for reasonably decent road surfaces, 'don't get much simpler than a standup scootet. Tire service video was a nice practical touch, I wish them well.

These scooter run a beefier T8F chain.

triggeraa said:
These scooter run a beefier T8F chain.

If you must have a chain, 8mm's a much better dimension than 1/4". It's a very good job and solid performer as demonstrated by 160lb rider. I could envision getting back into some mixed mode commuting again with one of those. So much easier to schlep on MTA.

Some of us might be curious of top speed when the light went yellow around 20mi mark?

Nice polish on the video production. Lol, "Its the jizz".

I have a 16" wheeled Currie folder and can attest to the utility of being able to pop it into the trunk. My EzGo will fit into the trunk of the smallest car Hertz rents.

I ran my EzGo @56V (stock 24V) and got up to about 35 MPH. While I enjoyed the zippy acceleration over the stock 24V, I'd say you have to pick your path carefully, even with 16" wheels.

The worst part, though, was the bending force on the long cantilever handlebars. If you had to do a quick stop at high speed, that long stem would buckle. Shame on you for not pointing out the brace on the steering headset in your high speed long range footage, even though its clearly visible. Riding at those speeds without that brace is suicide.

Such a set-up has its place, but it has its limitations, as does every contraption.

gogo said:
I have a 16" wheeled Currie folder and can attest to the utility of being able to pop it into the trunk. My EzGo will fit into the trunk of the smallest car Hertz rents.

I ran my EzGo @56V (stock 24V) and got up to about 35 MPH. While I enjoyed the zippy acceleration over the stock 24V, I'd say you have to pick your path carefully, even with 16" wheels.

If the EzGo doesn't have rear suspension, I don't know if you can make the comparison to this full suspension scooter...

Good point about the brace, I didn't know what that was...

So here is the long awaited Part1. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLoUfeBoB94&feature=youtu.be

gogo said:
Nice polish on the video production. Lol, "Its the jizz".

The worst part, though, was the bending force on the long cantilever handlebars. If you had to do a quick stop at high speed, that long stem would buckle. Shame on you for not pointing out the brace on the steering headset in your high speed long range footage, even though its clearly visible. Riding at those speeds without that brace is suicide.

Such a set-up has its place, but it has its limitations, as does every contraption.

What brace are you referring to?? suicide? please elucidate.

vulyone said:
gogo said:
…The worst part, though, was the bending force on the long cantilever handlebars. If you had to do a quick stop at high speed, that long stem would buckle. Shame on you for not pointing out the brace on the steering headset in your high speed long range footage, even though its clearly visible. Riding at those speeds without that brace is suicide.…

I was incorrect about the brace. It appears to be simply a camera mount, and not used structurally to bear the force on the handlebars during braking, as I had thought.

Upon further research on the manufacturer's site, I see the handlebar stem is claimed to be:
HANDLEBARS: Billet Stem - 20" Race Bars
For this to be a truly comprehensive review, and for your own safety, will you would look further into this potential point of failure?
How long is the lever acting on the base of the handlebar stem?
What is the construction of the stem? Is it solid, as the term 'billet' implies?
What is the diameter and of what material is it made?
How and where is it attached at the base?
Does it bear against a sharp-edged collar?

I notice that the seat is tipped back a fair amount. I'd guess this is to keep your butt from sliding forward and/or keeping some force off the handlebars during braking. You may want to peruse this thread pertaining to the consequences of that practice: You're sitting on your penis

The Stig said:
gogo said:

If the EzGo doesn't have rear suspension, I don't know if you can make the comparison to this full suspension scooter...

True, my EZGO has no rear suspension, but effectively what this means is I have to rely on my legs and/or seat more for suspension.

What I'm alluding to is the dynamics of small wheels and short wheel bases. If you support the scooter with the front wheel off the ground and grasp the handlebar with a finger and thumb, you can test the force needed to turn the handlebars. The smaller the inertial moment, the more its up to the rider to maintain the correct steering angle. This skill can be learned and managed to an extent, but the characteristic is less than ideal and for first-timers it can be dangerous.

Short wheel bases combine to make a 'twitchy' feel. The resulting poor dynamics seem to get worse in a non-linear way in relation to speed. What happens is when you get pitched into the air on a bump and are 'disconnected' from the contraption, your ability to control the steering input is less and the possibility of a slight steering input to cause the contraption to 'take- off' in an unintended direction is greater. Much like an E-S member from Russia experienced:
[youtube]lANQ5JdvJ88[/youtube]

Contrast that with motorcycle-type dynamics with a much more stable steering inertial moment and the ability to use your knees to position your body in relation to a much heavier contraption. The motorcycle dynamics are better for higher speeds, at the compromise of low-speed maneuverability.

Every transportation choice is a set of comparative compromises. My EZGO just isn't suited to more than its stock 15 MPH speed and smooth pavement, but given those conditions, :mrgreen: .

I guess riding at speed while waving on one these things is one of those compromises. No waving to hot chicks on that thing :p

gogo said:
vulyone said:
gogo said:
…The worst part, though, was the bending force on the long cantilever handlebars. If you had to do a quick stop at high speed, that long stem would buckle. Shame on you for not pointing out the brace on the steering headset in your high speed long range footage, even though its clearly visible. Riding at those speeds without that brace is suicide.…

I was incorrect about the brace. It appears to be simply a camera mount, and not used structurally to bear the force on the handlebars during braking, as I had thought.

Upon further research on the manufacturer's site, I see the handlebar stem is claimed to be:
HANDLEBARS: Billet Stem - 20" Race Bars
For this to be a truly comprehensive review, and for your own safety, will you would look further into this potential point of failure?
How long is the lever acting on the base of the handlebar stem?
What is the construction of the stem? Is it solid, as the term 'billet' implies?
What is the diameter and of what material is it made?
How and where is it attached at the base?
Does it bear against a sharp-edged collar?

I notice that the seat is tipped back a fair amount. I'd guess this is to keep your butt from sliding forward and/or keeping some force off the handlebars during braking. You may want to peruse this thread pertaining to the consequences of that practice: You're sitting on your penis

The Stig said:
gogo said:

True, my EZGO has no rear suspension, but effectively what this means is I have to rely on my legs and/or seat more for suspension.

What I'm alluding to is the dynamics of small wheels and short wheel bases. If you support the scooter with the front wheel off the ground and grasp the handlebar with a finger and thumb, you can test the force needed to turn the handlebars. The smaller the inertial moment, the more its up to the rider to maintain the correct steering angle. This skill can be learned and managed to an extent, but the characteristic is less than ideal and for first-timers it can be dangerous.

Short wheel bases combine to make a 'twitchy' feel. The resulting poor dynamics seem to get worse in a non-linear way in relation to speed. What happens is when you get pitched into the air on a bump and are 'disconnected' from the contraption, your ability to control the steering input is less and the possibility of a slight steering input to cause the contraption to 'take- off' in an unintended direction is greater. Much like an E-S member from Russia experienced:
[youtube]lANQ5JdvJ88[/youtube]

Contrast that with motorcycle-type dynamics with a much more stable steering inertial moment and the ability to use your knees to position your body in relation to a much heavier contraption. The motorcycle dynamics are better for higher speeds, at the compromise of low-speed maneuverability.

Every transportation choice is a set of comparative compromises. My EZGO just isn't suited to more than its stock 15 MPH speed and smooth pavement, but given those conditions, :mrgreen: .

That due ate it pretty good. :) His handlebars appear to be very short. Needs wider bars and an extended stem for greater stability at speed. I run Easton EA70 24" bars and Easton 104 mm stem. Just like our ebikes, they benefit from tweaks and mods. I also have wider tires that contribute to straight line stability. I can still wave at hot chicks while going 35mph. :mrgreen:

View attachment 1

DSCN1128 (Medium).JPG

Another advantage I would like to add is mounting and dismounting on and off the scooter is way easier and less stressful than on a typical ebike.
e-bike mounting.jpg
vs.

There was some skepticism about the integrity of the frame, chassis whatever you want to call it especially the steering column. I can assure you that this scooter is built like a tank. I have put over 6000 miles on my Super Turbo 1000 Lithium. The only part that failed was the left rear suspension arm:
View attachment 2
I have since welded gusset reinforcement with no further problems. And apparently Chris has also upgraded this component on his current models.
gusset enforcement.jpg
gusset.jpg

I have to this moment put 320 miles on the 1500W lithium scooter and it is still performing like in the video. I plan on riding it 10 miles to and from work every non-rainy working day for the foreseeable future. I will update everyone on its performance and state periodically.

That fix by Chris wasn't designed by a structural engineer, I guarantee. Its still inadequate, as is yours. If you could run a solid rod all the way across, it would be a start, but even then the vertical brace needs more meat in that area.

vulyone said:
Another advantage I would like to add is mounting and dismounting on and off the scooter is way easier and less stressful than on a typical ebike.
+1 on that utility and on the utility of their compactness at the end-of-line. I still think they aren't speed-duty compared to an ebike, though.

John in CR said:
"Rules are meant to be broken."
Reality is the ultimate arbiter.

gogo said:
That fix by Chris wasn't designed by a structural engineer, I guarantee. Its still inadequate, as is yours. If you could run a solid rod all the way across, it would be a start, but even then the vertical brace needs more meat in that area.

vulyone said:
+1 on that utility and on the utility of their compactness at the end-of-line. I still think they aren't speed-duty compared to an ebike, though.

99% of the mods we do on our ebikes have not been designed by an structural engineer! :mrgreen: That is the first shock mount I have seen fail on these scooters. I have had mine since around 2009 and weigh 200 lbs.

It's pretty cool... But it's near useless in Brazil, we have holes that put 26' wheels riders in trouble, imagine what could happen with those small wheels haha. Anyone wouldn't last 30 days alive over it.

Back