Better deal than electric bike?

Brasil has one of the biggest markets for scooters, both electric and gas. Those scooters generally run 12" to 16" tires. They don't seen to have a problem with the roads. I think it depends in what part of Brasil you live in.

triggeraa said:
Brasil has one of the biggest markets for scooters, both electric and gas. Those scooters generally run 12" to 16" tires. They don't seen to have a problem with the roads. I think it depends in what part of Brasil you live in.
I know i know, but theres alot more holes than everywhere in the world. Its not a specific problem from poor areas, in rainy days we get loads of holes. Well, we do have scooters but they'r kinda dangerous if you get in a big hole =P

vulyone said:
Another advantage I would like to add is mounting and dismounting on and off the scooter is way easier and less stressful than on a typical ebike.
Seriously now, is that how you get on a bike? I couldn't get on a 20" bike like that, but I have no problems getting on my 26".

You do get on that bike funny. Most people throw a leg over the back. At my age, I know quite a number of people that are now unable to mount a bike that is not step through.

Not many of them would ride a bike or scooter though. :roll:

I will confess to enjoying mounting scooters vs bikes. Loved that with the 150cc gas scooter I had. Dumped that thing though, because it truly was designed to be ridden by somebody that was 5'2" tall and 120 pounds. It just hammered me to ride it more than 10 miles.

You do get on that bike funny. Most people throw a leg over the back. At my age, I know quite a number of people that are now unable to mount a bike that is not step through.

Not many of them would ride a bike or scooter though. :roll:

I will confess to enjoying mounting scooters vs bikes. Loved that with the 150cc gas scooter I had. Dumped that thing though, because it truly was designed to be ridden by somebody that was 5'2" tall and 120 pounds. It just hammered me to ride it more than 10 miles.

triggeraa said:
gogo said:
That fix by Chris wasn't designed by a structural engineer, I guarantee. Its still inadequate, as is yours. If you could run a solid rod all the way across, it would be a start, but even then the vertical brace needs more meat in that area.

vulyone said:
Another advantage I would like to add is mounting and dismounting on and off the scooter is way easier and less stressful than on a typical ebike.
+1 on that utility and on the utility of their compactness at the end-of-line. I still think they aren't speed-duty compared to an ebike, though.

99% of the mods we do on our ebikes have not been designed by an structural engineer! :mrgreen: That is the first shock mount I have seen fail on these scooters. I have had mine since around 2009 and weigh 200 lbs.

It's not about how much you weigh. It matters more about sudden impact forces such as when jumping off a curb or going 30MPH over speed bumps or off road use. That was what cause my shock mount to fail. If you are just simply riding leisurely on paved surfaces then it should not fail regardless of your weight.

vulyone, I hear you. I run plenty off road with 55.5V lipo. As gogo stated, a good mod would be to run hardened rod all the way across and tie both sides.

The Stig said:
Hmm I like this thing, I would recommend it to people for city riding but I don't how easy it would be to make it theft proof...? Like locking down the seat post and the battery compartment.

I wouldn't lock this thing up where I wouldn't feel safe locking up a $3K E-bike. There is no such thing as "theft-proof". There is only "theft-deterrent". I don't have this issue because most of my destinations allow me to take the tiny compact scooter inside: Workplace, subway, mexican taco shops, asian supermarkets. They treat them the same as grandma's mobility scooters.

anybody find a cheaper one yet?

Seems like you can find the 1000w(really 800w) version for 499, while that overpriced site on page 1 sells it for 999.99.

Should be able to find this scoot for 1k>

Can anyone find a BYOB (bring your own battery) version of this scooter?

I think that would be the best deal. I only run LiPo now...

cal3thousand said:

yep exactly. Buy it for 499 or so and throw your own battery on it...

Haste said:
cal3thousand said:

That battery is $400-500 from ping. So yeah 1k...

Haste said:
anybody find a cheaper one yet?

Seems like you can find the 1000w(really 800w) version for 499, while that overpriced site on page 1 sells it for 999.99.

Should be able to find this scoot for 1k>

I made the mistake of buying a cheap scooter from EastCoastscooters. It was a 800W model. The Lead Acid battery lasted 2 months then spewed white crusty powder and died. The front suspension consisted of dual spring shock absorbers which didn't work. Steel of the frame looks and feels inferior. Seat post wobbles like a biactch. They seem to have upgraded their suspension but I still wouldn't trust it. And Yeah, the 1000W from Superscootersales.com has the premium Lithium iron phosphate chemistry battery. That thing retails for $500 by itself, hence the $1K price tag.

cal3thousand said:

Haste said:
cal3thousand said:

View attachment 1
For sale II.jpg
I am selling my bare frame chassis of the 800W Elite model. Rear rack, gel saddle cover, rear blinker, and front splash gurads not included. Everything else in the picture can be yours. I was planning to upgrade it with premium parts to get around 30+ MPH but since I already have the 1500W model, I want to sell it instead. $200 shipped if anyone is interested.

PMED! So these things are legally the same as a 49cc gas scooter correct? im trying to find this online for my state, TN.

Chris'll sell you one without a battery but I think it would void the overall warranty of the scooter. I've asked before because I wanted to get the 800 model and use my own controller, throttle and battery. My plans have changed since then. So if you want to try for one without a battery it doesn't hurt to ask.

triggeraa said:
Haste said:
cal3thousand said:

That battery is $400-500 from ping. So yeah 1k...
Run lipo, super cheap.

triggeraa said:
I do run lipo (15S3P), still $400.00+ :D

My exact comfiguration past 3 years. Have you seen this thread?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51731

Not including custom interconnects but price/footprint is beginning to perk my interest enough to maybe stray from RC Lipo?

Ykick said:
triggeraa said:

Not including custom interconnects but price/footprint is beginning to perk my interest enough to maybe stray from RC Lipo?

Looks interesting but too heavy and pricey at the moment.

triggeraa said:
Ykick said:
triggeraa said:

Looks interesting but too heavy and pricey at the moment.

Not my strong suit but allow me to do some math regarding your conclusion:

15S3P Turnigy 20C 15Ah = 13.5lbs. 15qty (15Ah) CP155-365 or CE165-365 come in just under 15lbs. Of course, not including interconnects but still not too bad IMO.

Price? 15qty CP155-365, high rate - $414. Most eBikes would be fine with 15 qty CE165-365, long life for $384.

Physical dimensions come in slightly bigger than 15S3P Turnigy but Enderels stacked side by side would still come in around 4" which is just about the magic number that fits comfortably between legs while riding.

Here's the high rate cells used for my comparisons - http://evolveelectrics.com/Enerdel_CP155-365_Moxie.html

Quality, safety? Compared to volatile Hobby cells? LOL, have a nice day!

Not as modular and adaptable as lipo. I can reconfigure my packs for my different bike and scooters. Can get different size packs to fit my requirements. Have run lipo since 2007 with out incidents (100+ packs). Cheap and powerful. I come from the high power RC hobby.

Back