• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

bike mileage per charge

Nvreloader

10 mW
I just finished 1 of 3 throttle tests, to find a realistic average, with my new Jugg 4 bike, with the 2 - 52v/1754whr total, just using the throttle and then will do 3 tests pedaling using eco 1 (no throttle usage).

1st throttle test = 63.1 total miles in eco 1 step and used 589.52 WH for and average of 9.34 wh p/mile, all throttle no pedaling, for an average of 12.35 mph, (my average pedaling speed = 10/15mph), 2000' + elevation change,
average wind speed 10/12 mph, (head wind for half the test, then tail wind), for the trip home.
The Low Voltage cutoff point was 45.4v (end of test) for these 52v battery's.
Bike + rider = 300#'s, tire psi @ 25/30.

I did the same tests with my Wart Hog MD 750 with 48v/1440whr, and got an average of 80/Throttle and 120 mile/pedaling, eco 1 step.
ymmv
Thoughts or suggestions.........

Thoughts or suggestions.........
Those range tests must be painfully boring. I recall that I used to be concerned about range, so I guess someone has to do these tests, and I applaud your stamina.
I don't use range as a metric anymore. My metric is similar to how planes use flight time. I can handle about 4 butt hours on the saddle a day, taking a few breaks during an outing. Distance varies, since I ride at different speeds and terrains, and pedal if I’m bored or want to get some exercise, but works out to maybe 50 miles max in 4 butt hours, with a lot of battery to spare in the end. It’s nice to have more range then I’ll ever use, but for me, the benefit of more battery is faster charge rates rather than distance.

In my opinion, the metrics you should use when talking to other mileage weenies is WH/mile and actual WH capacity of the battery. You can say you went X miles on a battery, but its only relative to you. The actual WH of your battery is uncertain til you do a capacity test on it.

Try putting a wattmeter between the battery and controller to measure WH. Note the mileage and you have wh/mile. You only have to go a few miles under the same conditions to get that mile, vs riding for hours. You can also ride your bike casually til the battery is flat. Monitor the WH with the wattmeter when you recharge, Now you'll know the real worl WH for the battery, not what the marketing label says,

It's faster. Saves a lot of boredom holding a bikeat constant speed and going roun and round. Luna once had a video where the guy wanted to see the battery capavity on his Luna Mossa Folder with a BBSHD. He rode around and around til the battery was flat. Actually, he gave up after hours of laps.

Back