Bike Throttle Replacement Search

Cole

1 µW
IMG_4432.jpeg

Hello. I have a Prodeco Phantom X2 Ebike. I broke my throttle and Prodeco is no longer in business to service the part. I have tried searching for throttles with the same 4 pin wire connector as my bike but cannot find one that will fit. I have already been through two different throttles. Can Someone help me or point me in the right direction about how to go about replacing my bike throttle?
See pic of my pin connector and wires.

If it's a throttle with a 3-light battery meter like other Prodecos I've worked with, then as long as you get one that is for the same voltage as your system (36v, 48v, 52v, etc), then the meter should react about the same as your old one. The throttle response vs movement will be slightly different as the mechanics are just about never exactly the same between models.

If it's just a throttle, no accessories/etc, then you can use pretty much any ebike throttle.

Because there's no real standard for wire color or order (or even which connectors are used), the wiring you'll probably have to manually do, by cutting the connector off your old throttle, and cutting the connector off the new one, then splicing the wires together. The wire colors probably won't match, so you'll need to do some votlage measurements of the bike-side connector to see which voltages are on which pins, so you don't short anything out or put wrong voltages where they may cause damage. We can help with that.

Ok. Thanks for the response. So the number of wires/harness connector doesn't matter much. Its just about splicing the wires correctly. Ok So to check the voltage I can just use my multimeter shouldn't the voltage from each wire be near 36v? I know how to splice but am not privy to matching voltage and re wiring my system.

Also I assume my 4 wires coming from the motor are #1 Negative Wire - should me 0 voltage right? And number #2 positive Wire - Should it read 36V? But the other two wires I am not exactly sure what they are for? What voltage should those other two wires read? Then when taking my new throttle I can easily figure out how to connect - and + wires. But how will I know where to put the other two wires? In correspondence to the throttle?

The 3 throttle wires will be 5v+, negative, and signal. The throttle runs on 5v, not 36v.

If your 4th wire carries 36v, than that's likely specifically for a battery meter, and hooking that up to the throttle 5v+ line will just fry your throttle.

Timing is everything! I just sent off a bunch of free stuff to member John61ct and I'm pretty sure my old, fully functional Prodecotech thumb throttle with 3-light battery status leds was in the box as I can't find it here and it's not in the trash. You might PM him to see if he has it and will send it to you?

Didn't know they went Belly-up.

Yes apparently the box arrived (thank you!), but I may not get back to that location for a few weeks

Cole said:
Ok. Thanks for the response. So the number of wires/harness connector doesn't matter much. Its just about splicing the wires correctly. Ok So to check the voltage I can just use my multimeter shouldn't the voltage from each wire be near 36v? I know how to splice but am not privy to matching voltage and re wiring my system.

Also I assume my 4 wires coming from the motor are #1 Negative Wire - should me 0 voltage right? And number #2 positive Wire - Should it read 36V? But the other two wires I am not exactly sure what they are for? What voltage should those other two wires read? Then when taking my new throttle I can easily figure out how to connect - and + wires. But how will I know where to put the other two wires? In correspondence to the throttle?

Unfortunately, there are no standards for wire color or position. So you can't assume anything about any of the wires on your existing system, or you may damage things (the new throttle, or the bike's controller). They must be measured with a voltmeter, unless you have a wiring chart that shows exactly which wire does what function (I couldn't find one on the web for Prodeco in general, or that model specifically).

To measure them, you set the multimeter to 200 DC Volts, and put the black probe on the battery negative connection, wherever you can access this without disconnecting the battery from the bike, and turn on the bike.

Be very careful when measuring at the throttle connector--you do not want to short any of the pins to any other pin. If you accidentally short battery voltage to either 5v or throttle signal wires, you will damage or destroy your controller, and have to replace that, too.

Draw the connector on paper, with each color wire noted by color. This is a reference so you know what to connect to later when you get a throttle.

Touch the red probe to each of the exposed metal contacts on that four wire connector, and write down each voltage next to the wire in the drawing. One of them will read about 5v, and that's power to the throttle. One of them will read 0v, and that's ground. One of them will read just a little above 0V, and that's throttle signal input.

The other one depends on what it's for. Since you don't show your original throttle, and you don't say what functions it had, I can only guess. If the throttle had a 3-light battery meter on it, then it's a battery meter wire, and will read whatever the battery voltage is at that moment. If it's something else, I'd need to know what other function(s) the throttle had before I could tell you what to look for.

You would also have to know from the seller of the throttle exactly which wire is which on the new throttle. If it isn't marked you would have to open it up (they're often not that easy to put back together becuase of the spring) to trace the wires, or experiment by trying different connections (which can destroy them). Much much easier to only buy a throttle from a place that shows you which wire is which. Grin tech http://ebikes.ca does, for instance, though there are probably plenty of cheaper places to get one from.

Often the wires on throttles that have no other functions are 5V = red, Ground = black, and signal = Green (or white), but that's not always true. If the throttle has other fuctions (battery meter, switches, etc) then you have to have a diagram from the seller or manufacturer, that matches the exact model of throttle you get, to know what they are. (without determining it experimentally or opening it up and tracing it out). Sometimes purple is used for battery meters, but not always.

Back