Bike Was Stolen šŸ˜¤ Time For An Upgrade šŸ˜Ž

TheBlackRhino

1 ĀµW
I bought a brand new KHS 500 fat bike from Luna Cycles less than a year ago and it was a blast. I really loved the bike and rodeĀ the crap out of it.Ā 

Unfortunately my bike was stolen from my home last month. Good news is insurance money came in and Iā€™m ready to get something new.Ā 

Over the past 4 weeks I have test road every high performance EBike I could get my hands on. From the Sur Ron X, to the CAB Recon, even the Stealth B52.Ā 

I come from a heavy motorcycle background so generally I ride these bikes like I stole them. I also noticed that I rode my ā€œLudicrous Upgradedā€ BBHSD so hard that the power levels and battery range seemed to drop the more I used it. I was in the process of adding an additional front hub motor and bigger battery to increase performance when it was stolen.Ā 

So now Iā€™m at a crossroads in my search. While I love the really high power bikes out there, I also HAVE to be able to pedal functionally. I want to be able to exercise occasionally and lift it onto my bike rack with the help of another person. Iā€™m also hoping to be able to get away with taking it on some single track trails like I could with the KHS 500.

The Luna Apex seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, considering it had a bigger battery, Ultra motor, fat tires (I ride in soft sand often) and an option to bypass the rear derailleur (which I generally hate dealing with)Ā but its been out of stock for almost a year. Not sure if itā€™s coming back?

Can anyone recommend an ebike that will have the following:

- Minimum 1500Ā Watt Motor (Open to mid/hub or a combination of both)
- Minimum 20 amp hour battery
- Minimum Tire Width Of 4 inches
- Throttle
- Something with enough torque to wheelie somewhat easily. (Iā€™m 5ā€™6, 150 lbs)

The following features would be a really nice bonus, but not ā€œrequiredā€. Iā€™m realistic and know not every bike can have all of this:

- Cadence Sensor (Good) or
Torque Sensor (Better)

- Any kind of gear hub that that eliminate a clunky derailleur.

- Tire width larger than 4ā€ (My KHS was 4.8)

If your suggestion is to go custom build, I would need to find a builder in Southern California willing to make it as there is no way I can do a project like that myself. As well as start with a really solid base bike to build upon.

Iā€™m not apposed to using multiple motors or batteryā€™s to get the results Iā€™m looking for.

I will be using this bike for:

-My only vehicle when traveling to different states and campgrounds.

-Open Trail Adventures that include climbing very steep inclines and going over large rocks

-Single Track if I can get away with it

-Beach days while riding in soft sand

-Wheelies around town
(Iā€™m a torque addict)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions at all. Iā€™m really exited to get back on the road and willing to pay what it takes to get exactly what I want.

This is mostly a DIY forum so i hope you expect this very predictable answer..

Check out the CYC Pro X2 or it's little brother.. very light.. very high power.. very high efficiency drive for any conversion.. loads better than a BBSHD and pretty much every other mid drive.
And also instead of buying another prebuilt bike with a battery that doesn't have proper thermal/discharge headroom ( a fault you'll find in the products of any 'marketing' and not 'engineering' based company ) .. spec out your own that's a bit larger and more powerful to boot and won't lose life so quickly because it's specified properly for the load. We can help you with that aspect here.

You'll have something much better than any prebuilt if you go that route.

How about a CYC X1 + your choice of fat bike? I think the 20ah+ batteries are triangular shaped and may have issues fitting in the frame of that would fit you.

You don't need a fat bike tire if you have rear suspension. You get an even more comfortable ride, and a much more durable rubber going standard mtb size.

sorry to hear that your bike was stolen was it out of your garage or out of your house I've had to bike stolen so I go for the homeless look like by struggling but they go 40 miles an hour. Where is southern California live I'm down here you can PM me with the response if you want. I have a CYC pro one or two with a 855 BT controller I can't get the thing program. So it's sitting in my garage with the 72 volt 24 ampere hour battery in the triangle. Come by and look at it if you're in the area. I'm trying to re-lace mxus 3000 motor and get that up and running. You can ride that when it gets going.

Back