Bikee Tomcat electric mid-drive eDH bike

@tahustvedt: we are doing a version which cover both 68 and 73mm thanks to your suggestion. And a 100mm version.

@flathill: Glad you'd like the Bikee Bike sticker on your bike tube. We can definetely put one sticker into the kit for that purpose. Good idea!

I would consider the Bafang the chinese version of the Sunstar, and our motor an enhanced version of the Sunstar, but I got your message. Extremely true the advantage in terms of ground clearance.

About the Torque sensor I got mixed feedback from the people I spoke to. Some consider the torque sensor useless on a 750W mid-drive, expecially when it's built for US in which the throttle is completely legal. I'd love to have the opinion of you guys about that. Please bear in mind that a torque sensor add approx 200/300 Usd to the bill. Is it worth?

I see your point about about the name. I think that one you got it, it's extremely easy to remember and, what's amazing, if you google mid-drive or mid-kit, that's one of the first result you get. Tell your friend! :wink:

We are working to get the noise down as much as possible, so we are testing all combinations: plastic, metal straight, metal helical with different combinations of geometry. We are in the process, I'll let you know once we got the optimal solution.

You got it! covers will be made as noise dampeners along with other "noise cutting" solutions.

Thanks again,
Matteo

I see your point about about the name...it's extremely easy to remember and, what's amazing, if you google...that's one of the first result you get...

Qulbix (pronounced "cool bikes"), and Yooniq (pronunced like the word unique) both have odd spellings because Google searches turn up millions of hits ona common word. this is actually the reason behind the name Exxon. It menas nothing, and it is a completely made up word, designed specifically to be different from any existing company name.

Is this the BionX of mid drives? ;) I saw the price tag and I thought the bike was included...

My entire BBS02 setup including bike, battery and various nice 'quality of ride' and must have biking items costs as much as it. :)

Hi Matteo,

I have looked at your website, and have a few comments: Obviously I would like to see a cutaway drawing or similar so I can understand the mechanical arrangement properly, but I understand that it is commercially sensitive.
1) I like the basic concept of your drive system: easy to fit, compact, no exposed transmission, weight is in the centre of the bike and as low as possible. If you can get the power and efficiency needed without ground clearance or cooling problems, it looks promising.
2) The drive has large surface area, so as long as the motor windings are thermally connected to the outer case, it should be able to shed heat ok. If not, then once the power levels get higher you might run into the same cooling problems as hub motors.
3) If used on a serious mountainbike, the outer casing of the motor will be the lowest point of the bike and subject to hitting rocks etc.. it would need to be strong. On the road, or gravel paths etc this shouldn't be a problem.
4) I fond the "Tomcat" e-bike on your site.. I like it in most ways, but if my understanding of the back suspension linkage is correct there will be a serious problem with falling-rate leverage ratios.. it would be harsh over small bumps and weak on big hits. Of course this may be a "concept" drawing not a final design, but this needs a re-think.

Best of luck with your development of this drive.
Dave

@SpinningMagnets: Good points, Excellent to see you here: I've been following your post with extreme interest.

@supertux1: yes, our target is to provide a superior product, made in Italy, with all the benefits of a mid-drive motor.
About BBS02: Chinese products are there to push us to deliver more in terms of technology which must translate in benefits to the user. I know that some experienced guys, as you probably are, aren't looking at warranty, easy installation as huge deals, but for most of the people they are. Said that, we're looking forward for a test drive comparison with the top-notch kits and complete e-bikes.

@Dave: Thanks for your wishes! Please believe me when I say that I'd love to share the motor cutaway, but this forum is populated with a lot of competitors, as you said.

1) I like the basic concept of your drive system: easy to fit, compact, no exposed transmission, weight is in the centre of the bike and as low as possible. If you can get the power and efficiency needed without ground clearance or cooling problems, it looks promising.

Right, that's what we were looking for.

2) The drive has large surface area, so as long as the motor windings are thermally connected to the outer case, it should be able to shed heat ok. If not, then once the power levels get higher you might run into the same cooling problems as hub motors.

We are aware of that and we look at the efficiency as top priority to avoid that.

3) If used on a serious mountainbike, the outer casing of the motor will be the lowest point of the bike and subject to hitting rocks etc.. it would need to be strong. On the road, or gravel paths etc this shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, we might get a different casing depending on the use.

4) I fond the "Tomcat" e-bike on your site.. I like it in most ways, but if my understanding of the back suspension linkage is correct there will be a serious problem with falling-rate leverage ratios.. it would be harsh over small bumps and weak on big hits. Of course this may be a "concept" drawing not a final design, but this needs a re-think.

The Tomcat was the initial plan and what you see is the concept of the bike. So there are many things which are not suitable for production. One of those is the back suspension linkage. We started that project and were immediately contacted by some Italian bike manufacturers who wanted the motor technology for their production e-bikes. So we put that project on hold and we started designing the mid drive kits which can be installed on standard bike frames. Our first goal is to release the mid-drive kit and then come to a complete e-bike. On the path we found top notch bike manufacturers who are willing to take care of the frame and other bike components, so we can focus on the motor. We are now in rush to see if we can jointly exhibit the first e-bike in our partner's stand at Eurobike. We are very tight we the timing, but that would be awesome.

Thanks again for your high-quality feedback and support,
Matteo

Hello Everybody,

To keep you posted, I just wanted to share with you that we won the Ford prize as best automotive technology within the Extreme Tech Challenge 2015, held in Las Vegas in January. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4-AzJT69M .

Matteo

Ready? Get Set... GO!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1568754048/bikee-bike-best-make-your-full-power-ebike-quickly

G'Luck!
:)
L

EDIT: P.S. Fun Logo. :)
photo.jpg

17 backers
€16,891 pledged of €50,000 goal
34 days to go

Over 1/3 funded in less than 24 hours. :)

Today/right now:
94 backers
€105,318 pledged of €50,000 goal
11 days to go

logo.svg

The aim of Elektor is to supply innovative information to professionals looking for education, entertainment and inspiration in the field of electronics, both within and beyond their professional activities. Elektor magazine provides ideas and information about new designs and developments as a source of inspiration for electronics designers at the professional level.

In their news section: "Bikee Bike – e-bike kit lets you cycle at 48 km/h"
https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/bikee-bike-e-bike-kit-lets-you-cycle-at-48-km-h
[youtube]2-URwjSBQAc[/youtube]

126 backers
€145,829 pledged of €50,000 goal
93 minutes to go

8)

Hillhater said:
Old thread, i know.
But it been selling for a while now .....has there been any feedback from users of this kit

they have a facebook owners group with about 75 members currently.. :
Bikeers cafè - Bikee Bike owners Club
https://facebook.com/groups/515371345514528/

Back