BMS Battery Alloy Shell Charger Problems

deVries said:
I guess the way BMS does burn-in is 'you' get to burn-out the bad units. :lol: Then, as dnmum has pointed out elsewhere, hopefully they ship you a new one for free. Guess it's better to order and own at least two chargers. ;)

Has anyone been refused a free replacement w/free shipping??? :?:

Did anyone get a written warranty with the charger?

from earlier post
One more thing- they asked if I was going to be placing another order (they would put it in the same package). It's saving them carriage costs. I said no an they did send after about a week and a chaser email.

written warranty? What there is is on the site-
Your terms and conditions of use
Rule 1
Reputation is our priority. If you have any problems with the received parcel, please email us first; You needn't to send unsatisfied products to us; We will give you the replacement after communication if needed. Our working-day is from Monday to Friday. We will reply you on working-days. You replied email will be delay on Saturday and Sunday. Please be patient to wait till Monday. If you insist to open a dispute on Paypal, you might need to send back the unsatisfied products to us first. When we received the returned products, we will refund you if you insist to get the payment back.

Hardly inspires confidence does it...?

I'm trying to find appropriate power transistors to replace the originals at the moment - they are running on the edge in terms of specifications unfortunatly, this and the ESR of the output capacitor (and the output inductor appearing to be a one-size-fits-all), the inrush current limiter being driven hard as well.

And no filtering, no wonder it needs a metal case, its probably to reduce the RF :)

Its rapidly getting to the point where its getting worthwhile to modify a quality PC power supply to get a halfway dependable charger (or an 800W server power supply, although they are very, very cleverly designed.)

so i got my replys from the guys at bms battery. the last email saying they will send me another charger if i pay for the postage?
i was thinking.....WTF? payed $180 for a charger that took more than 1 month to get to me and on top of that, gives me a faulty. and still wants me to pay for another 1? :/

depends on how they respond to my last email, im going to go to paypal to get my money back if its a bad response.
i will definatly not do business with them again......

saiyan said:
so i got my replys from the guys at bms battery. the last email saying they will send me another charger if i pay for the postage?
i was thinking.....WTF? payed $180 for a charger that took more than 1 month to get to me and on top of that, gives me a faulty. and still wants me to pay for another 1? :/

depends on how they respond to my last email, im going to go to paypal to get my money back if its a bad response.
Who did you talk to? if you talked to jack then talk to judy. he understands the situation better, also he is in higher position in BMSBattery so he will sort you out.
Make sure you complain about it! :wink:

rui_fujino said:
saiyan said:

Who did you talk to? if you talked to jack then talk to judy. he understands the situation better, also he is in higher position in BMSBattery so he will sort you out.
Make sure you complain about it! :wink:

im speaking to 2 people at bms lol....... both taking there time and not doing much. its ok, ill get paypal to fixim up if they give me a run around on the next email.....

i wonder like AW mentioned about the polarity of the cap too. did you check the polarity on that cap when you pulled it out? can you follow the traces on the underside of the board to where it is connected? can you source a replacement locally?

400V is interesting, has to be on the front end maybe next to the switching transistors.

saiyan said:
so i pulled out the capacitor, and this is what it looks like.....
Which half of the circular marking on the PCB was the negative side of the can on? The shaded side, with the white hashlines, or the blank side, with just PCB colors.

I didnt take notice 100% when i pulled it out, but im pretty confident by remembering how it was, that the polarity was correct. Im guessing something else shorted it out? Looking at this circuit board is like a puzzle to me. I have no clue where or how to start finding where the problem is......

I will wait for my next charger as bms has finally agreed to replace it free of charge.
I wouldnt expect any less since this charger was a dud b4 it left its warehouse......

my 900W charger arrived after a month. lights come on when i plug it in, but i get 0V across the DC leads?
20120712_213725.jpg

Does it need to get hooked up to work(or blow, if that's what it's gonna do?)

If so, should I assume the BRN is positive and Blue is GND? :shock:

Funny line on enclosure: "Amateur technicians do not open the box"

do not assume the colors. the plus can be blue too. gotta look, but i bet the charger does require it be plugged in to the pack first.

maybe someone has the case open already and can call out the color code on the output leads.

I have an older 900w version, and the battery has to be connected in order to initiate power output.

Dr. Bass installed a switch to turn the power on without connecting a battery in this thread. (Plus other helpful mods)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29096

The colour of the +/- leads where indicated on the lid of my charger(Brown positive, Blue negative).

As said earlier I had the same question asked about the postage.
At this point only email Jack Xie- no need for threats (yet) about going to paypal, keep it friendly.

Tell him you have nothing else to order 'just now', said it was a faulty charger and they should pay the carriage. And ask them to email you with the shipment details.

It took a week for the shipment details from them to me but they paid. No arguments, just apologies from Jack Xie.
They're just trying to cut costs- morally wrong but some people must just pay it!

Icewrench said:
The 600 watt bms alloy shell chargers I have use the blue wire for neg and the brown wire is positive.
thanks! i added connectors, plugged in units ac and double red lights came on. pack was already charged, so it switched to red + green indicated charged:
20120713_211947.jpg

when i unplugged the AC, there unit light blinked a couple times and there was a tiny crack sound. but i plugged it back in and it did the same thing, red + red, then red + green.

when you unplug the charger first, the battery is still connected to the output of the charger so it holds the indicator led on.

i think it is a better practice to unplug the battery first, and to turn on the charger first before plugging in the battery. if the output caps on the charger are already charged up first by the charger, then when the battery is connected it doesn't have to send current back into the charger to charge up the output caps.

sounds like your charger is working though.

i am sure jack is pissed that he is selling chargers he has no control over the quality of. this has to be a big variable in his cost of doing business and i expect they make allowances when bidding on equipment supplied by other vendors to him so he can resell it.

dnmun said:
i am sure jack is pissed that he is selling chargers he has no control over the quality of.

Jack could test & burn-in the chargers before shipping, since the voltage & amps need to be set. There is a high failure rate it seems from initial use. It seems if one makes it through the first 5-10 charge cycles, then the failure rate is much lower.

For whatever reasons it's easier to let the buyer become the burn-in person & replace if necessary. This is not good/ideal customer service, because this is not active prevention of "problem" quality control issues that are known ahead of time. To "reliably" use or depend on these chargers you should buy at least one extra back-up charger that you actually test too 5-10 charge cycles upon receipt.

No quality control, no burn-in, cheap stripped down components and design make these chargers cheap and flaky risks at best. Unless you're really low on money or enjoy doing repairs, then it's probably a better investment to buy high quality Power Supplies to convert to chargers or power a charger or spend the extra money upfront for a high quality charger. IMO. ;)

I gambled & bought some of these BMS chargers, but I would have gone a different direction had I read this thread 1st. :oops:

deVries said:

I gambled & bought some of these BMS chargers, but I would have gone a different direction had I read this thread 1st. :oops:

That's always your choice.

I researched before I bought, so got 2 'just in case'. The tactic worked, and I now have 2 working chargers after having a problem with one. It wasn't major effort to get them to replace- a little bit of info from another member on the forum helped with the direction, similar to the help you've received. I thanked rui_fujino for his advice, and also Jack Xie when it was resolved. It seems the right thing to do?

I'd buy again.

And before buying from any other supplier I'd research them first, then base if I buy, and what I buy on that.

If I didn't research and it went wrong then the blame lies with me. The product fault lies with the supplier, the choice of them is firmly my own fault.
Yours went wrong? You didn't research it first or think about it? Yes- it's all someone else's fault isn't it? I don't think they would knowingly have personally chosen to send you a faulty one.

Yours went wrong? You didn't research it first or think about it? Yes- it's all someone else's fault isn't it?

BMS knowingly sells inferior quality chargers. That's easily established by reading all the posts in this thread, and by knowing who the experts are to offer such judgements. Fortunately, I got some quality expert opinions posted to this thread thanks to my questions. :twisted:

Yes, I "researched" by taking the advice from someone experienced that is very interested & has posted numerous times in these related topics. Can't always find every thread there is, and so I missed 'this' topic before I had placed my order.

You bought two of these chargers, so you did exactly what I suggested anyone should do when buying these cheap flaky chargers. You had a problem with one of these chargers too. Hassle! Unfortunately, by the time you pay for two chargers & the expensive shipping of BMS, then it's a better deal to buy one high quality setup. Why? It will end-up costing about the same, since you don't have to pay the high cost of shipping & 2 chargers from BMS... much less have the hassle of dealing with a "free" replacement or repair of a defective cheap low-quality charger. IMO. :mrgreen:

captain387 said:
I have an older 900w version, and the battery has to be connected in order to initiate power output.

Dr. Bass installed a switch to turn the power on without connecting a battery in this thread. (Plus other helpful mods)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29096

The colour of the +/- leads where indicated on the lid of my charger(Brown positive, Blue negative).

Did these mods Doctorbass did match-up with your 900w charger components to do the same mods?

Thanks. :)

deVries said:
...... Why? It will end-up costing about the same, since you don't have to pay the high cost of shipping & 2 chargers from BMS... much less have the hassle of dealing with a "free" replacement or repair of a defective cheap low-quality charger. IMO. :mrgreen:

As I said, I researched and chose them.

You say you did the same, then get the very problems your research would have shown but are unwilling to accept that it was your decision that caused your own problem?

You had the choice to buy elsewhere because you say you knew about them because you'd researched the purchase, you chose not to.
It's your own problem of your own making.

alsmith said:
You say you did the same, then get the very problems your research would have shown but are unwilling to accept that it was your decision that caused your own problem?

Completely false assumptions on your part. Stop.

You had the choice to buy elsewhere because you say you knew about them because you'd researched the purchase, you chose not to.
It's your own problem of your own making.

You obviously have not read my posts clearly throughout this entire thread. I don't have a problem personally despite you saying I have one with these chargers.

I offer my informed opinion why I don't think it's wise for anyone to buy these chargers, when there are better quality options at potentially lower or equal cost. Reasons for that are in my previous post today again quoted below for the benefit of new readers. :idea:

You bought two of these chargers, so you did exactly what I suggested anyone should do when buying these cheap flaky chargers. You had a problem with one of these chargers too. Hassle! Unfortunately, by the time you pay for two chargers & the expensive shipping of BMS, then it's a better deal to buy one high quality setup. Why? It will end-up costing about the same, since you don't have to pay the high cost of shipping & 2 chargers from BMS... much less have the hassle of dealing with a "free" replacement or repair of a defective cheap low-quality charger. IMO. :mrgreen:
No quality control, no burn-in, cheap stripped down components and design make these chargers cheap and flaky risks at best. Unless you're really low on money or enjoy doing repairs, then it's probably a better investment to buy high quality Power Supplies to convert to chargers or power a charger or spend the extra money upfront for a high quality charger.

Back