BMS Woes (Smells like TROUBLE)

carl2.0

10 W
Hi guys,

I put my ebike to charge this weekend for 2 hours and returned to the smell of something burning :S. I rushed and disconnected the charger and checked on the pack. No fire or smoke (phew) But the BMS was too hott to touch :S. I assumed that it was trying to do something but failing so I checked the voltage of each cell in my 16S 48V 40152S pack. All the cells were reading around 3.33 V execpt the the last cell which was reading 0.9V FML !! Now I had rearranged the pack sometime so it would fit on my frame and reconnected the BMS similar to how it was before, perhaps I made a mistake.

20130928_193122.jpg

KV7Xq3fTMzVD-NyCEDiCXfh9zTzkwmBzu34ZypAqJfc=w1081-h805-no

When I did my research on how build headway packs and wire the BMS I followed this blog http://andr01dm.blogspot.com/search...:00-04:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false. I noticed the BMS for the 16 cell packs came with 17 signal wires however, my BMS only had 16 pins !! I tried to interpret the instructions but Im not so great with wiring diagrams and the Chinese writing wasn't helping either.

20130928_192858.jpg

20130928_192956.jpg

How I reconnected the BMS was connect 1-15 wires on the negative of 15 cells and the final 16th cell I connected on the positive. It worked for a few weeks it even charged fully 3 times but I didnt use the bike for a 2 weeks put it to charge and after a few hours I get this strong smell of burning electronics. Turned out to just be hot electronics

I'm REALLY gonna need some help trouble shooting this one

Just an update, I checked the to determine the cell number in the series which was dead. The very first cell in the series is very dead, of course this is also the cell which DIDNOT have a signal wire for the BM, I connected this first cell to Battery negative without a bms signal wire. I have no Idea how i was suppose to wire this thing :S

Back