• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BMS ??

msrinivasan1995

100 µW
Guys i need to power an Esc which requires 55A and 22v. i'm using power source from 18650 batteries. I'm using 6 batteries in series + 10 sets of similar batteries to get
the required power ratings.
voltage:6*3.7=22.2v
current:5.8*10=58 a(10 sets of 6S)

What kind of BMS should I use? any cheaper and reliable system available

msrinivasan1995 said:
What kind of BMS should I use? any cheaper and reliable system available
More details on your project would help with recommendations. Keep in mind that cheap and reliable are often competing requirements.

i'm going to use 18650 5800mAh batteries for drones. My requirement is 22 v for esc and 60 Ah for the motor. So, im going to connect 6 cells in series to get 22.2 volts and 10 sets of (6 series batteries ) to get the required amount. I require a bms for the same . Cost doesnt matter much . but reliability and easy open source bms system is what i require.

msrinivasan1995 said:
i'm going to use 18650 5800mAh
Are they Ultrafire? (or something else ending with "fire" in the name?) If so, the first thing you want to do is discard those and get cells that will actually deliver the capacity they claim, at a high enough current to run the drones. ;)

msrinivasan1995 said:
i'm going to use 18650 5800mAh batteries for drones.

those do not exist. if you cannot afford real cells you need to stop right now and wait until you can afford cells from a verified supplier like nkon. unless you want your expensive drone to erupt into a ball of fire in the middle of the air.

any discussion about these fire branded (it's in the name for christ sake) cells will end up in ridicule and we cannot take you seriously.

I have ordered one for the same to test the sample. I saw it as the maximum possible. I have gone for 5800mAh since it might reduce the size of my power source. If it isnt possible then i should switch to 3600mah. SO it might take upto 6 cell in series and 20 sets of the same in parallel. Can u suggest me a Open source bms for the same.

As mentioned, any of the *fire batteries are basically junk. You'll find they perform a lot like worn out laptop cells, and only get worse under high drain conditions. I'd be surprised if you can get 55A out of one even in a dead short. Cells in the 18650 format are not typically rated for 10-20C like you want, not to mention being heavier than pouch cells.

Why do you want an open source BMS? There are plenty of closed-source 6S BMSs out there already for a drone for under $20-30.

guys,
I'm using 6s 18650 batteries containing a set of 10packs to get 36000mAh.
What should be the charger requirement for charging the above said battery pack.

Depends on the chemistry, specific cell model, etc. You'll need to post complete details of what y ou're buidlling. If this is the same as the previous pack I would recommend letting me merge this with your otherr thread so those already helping you can continue to do so, and you won't have to keep posting the same stuff over and over to answer questions you've already answered.

Back