Bobber style scratch build

Yes the section in the arrows is 1/4" plate, drilled at one end, angle grinder to cut the slot up to the hole, then welded into the 1/8" rectangular tube which already had the side slot cut into it. There is also a 1/4" plate torque arm/caliper mount that slides back and forth with the axle. I don't anticipate it coming apart any time soon, I'm more likely to snap the bottom bracket mount off. Chalo may disagree however. :mrgreen:

Nice nice nice! Man what I wouldn't give to have you for a neighbor!

Update! The bike is now done and getting the use it deserves. Just have to paint out the 'turbo fan' design on the drive side and I can start on v5.0...

How's the fork working on the road? I've been curious if the difference between the direction the axle moves and the direction from which the wheel encounters bumps would cause it to lock out on taller obstacles.

Chalo:

This style of fork was designed at the beginning of the 20th century for motorcycles and later made popular by Schwinn and others for bicycle use, not exactly high tech even for 1910. The ride on surface streets is okay, a dampened shock would likely ride smoother. I originally designed the fork for an air shock but even with minimal pressure it wouldn't budge possibly due to non-adjustable compression dampening, so I switched out to a cheap spring 'shock' from a child's bike. As the fork tops out every time you grab the front brake, my main concern with this type of fork would be the shock breaking and the front wheel tucking under the frame's downtube which would be crappy to say the least. I chose this style of fork for it's relative ease of construction due to the single pivot and to mirror the trend to build them for full sized bobber/custom motorcycles. Next one will likely be a girder style.

15886-fend-l.jpg

Thanks John:

It was a couple of hundred hours well spent. It's really comfortable to ride and super stable on the road, could easily handle a couple more kilowatts of power. Perhaps the next one will have a QS 50h and more voltage. I've already had a ton of people stop and chat with me about the build, it's always a bit strange coming out of a store to see people standing over your new toy :p

Back