Bobber style scratch build

OCD said:
I tried hard to build a legal e-bike greater than 500 watts, even spent considerable time on the phone with the government run insurance corporation and made my case for an e-bike over the 500 watt limit built from quality parts. I would be very happy to insure one as a limited speed motorcycle, a moped or anything acceptable to Canadian law. I was told no matter what I did, no matter whether I used downhill mtb brakes, rims, suspension, etc, if it wasn't made entirely of Transport Canada approved motorcycle parts and welded by a certified welder, it would never be more than an illegally motorized bicycle and not insurable. In the eyes of Canadian law if it's 501 watts it's just as illegal as if it's 10k watts. :roll:
Thats why they sell 500 watt or 499 watt stickers.

My goped only has 750w according to the sticker...

Mr Dude:

That's why I ordered a good number of '500 watt big chicken motor' stickers when I bought my 19" motorcycle rims from HH. That was the only time I've been pulled over and told "I could see you coming fast but making no noise so I knew I had to pull you over". The cop didn't even know which questions to ask, so I pointed out that the sticker proved I was legal and "no sir, in Canada we are allowed to have a throttle independent of whether I'm pedalling or not". In fact I'd been pulled over while passing the police station (at 54km/h), he knew so little that he called for 'backup' and two cops on bicycles came riding down the block to 'assist' and they didn't know much more than him. All was well in the end. After all, the sticker must have been put there by the manufacturer...right? :wink:

OCD said:
Mr Dude:

That's why I ordered a good number of '500 watt big chicken motor' stickers when I bought my 19" motorcycle rims from HH. That was the only time I've been pulled over and told "I could see you coming fast but making no noise so I knew I had to pull you over". The cop didn't even know which questions to ask, so I pointed out that the sticker proved I was legal and "no sir, in Canada we are allowed to have a throttle independent of whether I'm pedalling or not". In fact I'd been pulled over while passing the police station (at 54km/h), he knew so little that he called for 'backup' and two cops on bicycles came riding down the block to 'assist' and they didn't know much more than him. All was well in the end. After all, the sticker must have been put there by the manufacturer...right? :wink:

lol
My situation is even stranger.
The local city/county made a law exception to allow "goped" scooters on the roads, provided they had specific equipment (light in front, light on riders back, reflector)
This is only intended to help a local company that rides them to bars, puts them in the trunk of a drunk persons car, and drives the person home in their own car... that said, law is law.
SO as long as I have a GOPED I am ok.. but its a name brand, not a vehicle... so I get around it by starting out with a Goped ESR, chopping it in the middle, welding a larger area and fitting a huge brushless motor in its place. I kept all the goped stickers all over it, so it seems original.
So far, no questions, but I thought I would get pulled over one time when I was doing 40 in a 30... cop didnt see me though.

I've been working on the fenders and other woodwork for this build. Here's where we're at... the fenders are made from 2 layers of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. As I'm not using a two part form for the lamination process, there's a certain amount of spring back, it took a couple of tries to get the correct radius to keep the fender tight to the 24 x 3" tire.

DSC_0425%20800x531.jpg

DSC_0409%20800x550.jpg

DSC_0413%20800x531.jpg

OCD said:
I've been working on the fenders and other woodwork for this build. Here's where we're at... the fenders are made from 2 layers of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. As I'm not using a two part form for the lamination process, there's a certain amount of spring back, it took a couple of tries to get the correct radius to keep the fender tight to the 24 x 3" tire.

DSC_0425%20800x531.jpg

DSC_0409%20800x550.jpg

DSC_0413%20800x531.jpg

This is very cool! can you go into a bit more detail about how you get them to hold the curve?
Feel free to speak like you're talking to a woodwork newbie that has never bent a board (intentionally) in his life... :lol:

I believe he uses two layers of thin plywood, and the glue in-between them both holds the shape. This is brilliant! I really appreciate the picture showing the method you use to hold the pieces in the shape as the glue is drying. Simple and cheap, easy to copy. Well done, sir!

I have also seen thin strips of wood bent by using steam to soften them, and then holding it in a shape while they cooled off. This method is better for me...

Yes SM is correct, it's two pieces of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood with waterproof carpenter's glue between, held in place with my high tech clamping system. :wink: The radius of the curve took a couple different diameter tires to allow for the spring back after being released from the "mold". If I had a bandsaw the plan would have been to cut a male/female die to sandwich the plywood between, then the arc of the diameter and the squareness across the fender could have been improved. I'm a hot rodder, I'd rather do it all myself even if it doesn't turn out as well as it would if done by someone else. Never be afraid to experiment, that's how you learn. I'm mainly a metalworker but I have been known to play with wooden projects from time to time. Here's our nearly finished camping trailer:

Before:

Last year before the hatch was complete.

Steam bending if fine as long as you are not using plywood. Even the best quality glues are not happy in that environment!

If you need a bunch of cheap clamps buy some 6" pvc pipe and cut it into rings then split the ring with another cut. Just spread it apart and Bobs your Uncle! Narrow rings have less clamping power than wide ones. I do boat projects once in a while and sometimes need a dozen or more clamps for epoxy work......

I built the torque arm/caliper mount today, 1/4" thick, it slides back and forth with the motor and will have a small strut with a clamp to the frame:

Here's the front fender mount, welded in then split after:

Battery box door hinge welded into place:

Rear shot showing raised tail light with more speed holes:

Very nice build. The only thing needs to be changed is handlebars for my taste. The bike looks somewhat sporty and those handlebars make it look incompatible. Just my point of view.

Stop!...please, STOP!....it's too sexy!

Love the teardrop trailer, if it was a little longer...you could paint and image of Lucy and Desi on the door?

The only thing needs to be changed is handlebars for my taste.

Like the rest of the bike, the handlebar position fits my 5'9" body perfectly with a comfortable upright riding position and the bars won't be in the way of my knees when turning. The height of the bars helps to balance out the look of the headlight, which if mounted lower would bob up and down with the suspension when riding. 8)

Love the teardrop trailer, if it was a little longer...
Thanks S.M. The trailer was built on the base of the old utility trailer without major frame modifications. There is a standard queen sized mattress inside, although when building for yourself you can do whatever works for you if you're taller than average. The trailer was built to be compact and lightweight as it is pulled by our PT Cruiser which only has a 2.4l motor. It sure beats sleeping in a tent.

Great build, lovely bike. Just a thought on tubing. I have used 1/16 or less wall thickness on many motorcycle frames, 1/8 is for water pipe and roll bars etc. Thinner walls are tougher to bend without deformation, and more difficult to weld, but the weight savings are well worth th effort.

Thanks for the kudos LB:
I use a JD Squared model 32 bender, even the 1/16" wall tubing bends nearly perfectly if you securely clamp it into the bender and lubricate the dies. I'm sure this frame could have a 400cc gas engine and not be too stressed. I've finished all the fabrication, now onto fully welding all the joints, a bit of cleanup/deburring and paint... 8)

In our case it would be the short, short trailer :lol:
Good thing I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'4", we even have room for the two dogs.

220px-The_Long%2C_Long_Trailer_poster.jpg

Wonderful build!

I especially like the fork!

Makes me wish for a welder! Santa didn't have room enough for a TIG welder on his sleigh, maybe next year! :p

Weather's been cold up here north of the border, finally managed to get a couple of coats of paint on this project...time to put it together
41.gif

Is there much meat in the walls of the rear dropouts? hard to see from the last photo.

Awesome look!

Very nice!, wish my HD builder pals would get excited about electrics.

Looks meaty from this view. What would you call the minimum?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,432
Thanks for your positive comments Tom, but I'm sorry, not sure which minimum you are referring to? Material thickness of the covered dropouts? If so: 1/8" wall rectangular tube, 1/4" plate for the backing plate and sliding caliper mount.

OCD said:
Thanks for your positive comments Tom, but I'm sorry, not sure which minimum you are referring to? Material thickness of the covered dropouts? If so: 1/8" wall rectangular tube, 1/4" plate for the backing plate and sliding caliper mount.
I think sam is looking at the marked section.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 8.59.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 8.59.11 AM.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,176
Back