Bought a new bike! (new member)- update

The motor has 6 wires. 3 thick ones and 3 thinner.
Could not remove the crank arm. Will take it to the shop on Saturday. I probaby need to get the chain cleaned also. It has lots of metal chips all over it.

Update:
Got the set of cranks. Could not wait until the weekend to take it to the shop, so I bought the tool and replaced the crank. Also purchased new MTB platform pedals and rack for the back (seat post mount), put in my gel seat, took off the stickers, and finally adjusted the front disc brakes. I have been riding it to work daily now and love it! I cannot believe that I have not owned one before. But at the same time I am glad that this is the bike I'm riding now. Enjoying every minute of riding and looking forward to the rides to/from work.
I will buy a wireless bike computer and get some numbers. Still have not done the long ride.

If you haven't heard mention of it b4, people here & at other forums have had problems with wireless due to magnetic interference from the motor. IIRC most of the time it was fine with the sensor on the opposite wheel of the motor, but keep it in mind if you get erratic readings, such as blipping to 99mph in one case.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll get a hard-wired one.
Fetcher (or anyone else that can answer this) - The motor has 6 wires. 3 thick ones and 3 thinner. Does this mean that I have a sensor?
What are my options for upgrading? I may want to make it a little faster some time in the future.

That's a bit unusual. I suspect it has sensors, but usually there's 5 skinny wires. It might take some probing to figure out what's going on there.

Another thing to check out is the controller. It might be able to handle higher voltage, but you'd need to inspect the insides.
Is it potted?

fechter said:
That's a bit unusual. I suspect it has sensors, but usually there's 5 skinny wires. It might take some probing to figure out what's going on there.

Another thing to check out is the controller. It might be able to handle higher voltage, but you'd need to inspect the insides.
Is it potted?

Whats "potted"? How do I tell?

After a few weeks riding the bike and about 100 miles, the top speed is about 15 mph. It will go to almost 16, but it may be on a slight downhill. 18 mph with fast pedaling. The future may hold some new gears for the bike. It rolls real smooth and feels comfortable at 18. Accelerates fast. Leaving all bikers behind probably with an impressed look. I don't think people realize that its an ebike!

I am really enjoying the bike. Ride it to work every day. It gives me just enough assist to make the ride easy.

Did that battery issue get resolved? i remember you couldn't get the charger to indicate a full charge.

What's your range? I'm interested in efficiency.

The power issue was a mistake on my part. I interperted lights wrong. It charges to full. I don't know about the range. I have only been riding it to work and back - 11 miles. Still have not done the long ride to my parent's - 12 miles each way. I think it will make it because I don't use the assist constantly. I use it to help me accelerate to speed and keep riding speed up. Also on light uphills and into headwind. I will be out of town, so the long ride will be in a few weeks.

"potted " means you load your battery box with weed and try to cross the border without getting caugh !.. :p

on a more serious note, Potted is a term used for epoxied electronics.. basically imagine a circuit board in a shallow plastic box.. filled to the top with liquid plastic.. once it hardens the electrics are weather-proof and canot be serviced... Not great for heat transfer either..

Yes, epoxy. I hate that stuff.

When you get daring, disconnect the batteries and see if it's possible to open up the controller to see the parts inside. With a good clear photo, we should be able to see most of what's going on.

I love stealth bikes.

Was looking at some published specs and saw this - Controller: Exclusive Currie Electro Drive 24 Volt Fully Potted.
So I guess if I will upgrade, I'll have to get a new controller.

I have a Cruiser Enlightened I-Zip Nimh too. My last bike was a WE 600watt Brushless MTB/ SLA. Heavy but pretty torquey.

My review of the I-Zip is forthcoming. Very smooth, light and comfortable.......but underpowered, and I weigh 130lbs.!!!!

Having said that, it is lots of fun on level ground and even on trails.

I bought it from the same guy, who works for Currie. Good guy. Good price. $649, right? for that price, it is a great deal.

I'm also interested in a possible upgrade, but it may be limited due to the controller and motor itself.

My goal for my next bike will be a hill climber for Granada Hills. I welcome your suggestions.

NGK

Same bike as me and local? Thats great!
How long have you had it?

since Nov. I think an upgrade is going to take all new parts, making a new custom bike the real answer for me, at least.

I will still recommend I-Zip for level ground fun. $1000 may be a bit much though. This year will be exciting to see the new bikes coming out from Schwinn and hopefully texaselectric.

NGK

Update -
So the bike is about 6 months old now, with a little under 1000 miles. The only repairs so far have been - replaced crank (see previous posts) and a flat tire.
The bike has been shutting down more lately. Out of about 10 times riding, it shuts down maybe 3 to 5. It deffinetely happens on hot days. The bike never shuts down when I have the "gas" going. Only if I let go, and hit it again, it may shut down. So I've been riding with the gas on! Gas and brakes at the same time, timing lights.... Its hard when I have to pass like 15 lights and 10 stop signs on the way to and from home.
I've contacte Currie Tech 3 times.
The first time, the guy told me that I am not charging the bike enough. He recommended that I charge it overnight. I did that... but I know its not the battery. One time after shutting down on the way home (10 mile ride), I rode it again later without charging it for over 5 miles.
The second time I called, the lady took down all my comment and said that they will get back to me. A month later - no response.
So I give up on the "customer support" and "6 month warranty" and decide to call and express my frustration. The guy asks for my info, looks at the file, and says, "unfortunately, the contoler gets hot in the hot states, the bike shuts down, we've had several complaints, and we will address this issue in future lines." I ask him if there is anything that can be done. He tells me that I can buy a new controller for 55 bucks. I told him that the warranty should cover that. He talked to someone and said yes! But they have to check availability.... So I may be putting in a new controller soon, hopefully it will fix the problem.

andrey320 said:
So I may be putting in a new controller soon, hopefully it will fix the problem.

Don't hold yer breath, dude... CT is notorious for slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww delivery.

In the meantime, you might devise some method of cooling the controller.

BTW, it should be noted that the term "fully potted" in the bike description refers to the throttle having a full range of variation: zero to full-on; not that the controller has epoxy-potting in the case.

It might be possible to open the controller-case and give it more air for cooling.

I picked the potting outta one of mine, it is delicate work around some very small parts.

Thanks for clearing that up Tyler!
Because of the location of the conroller (on the bottom of the frame, below the cranks), I don't know if I should try to open the case. This would make it prone to getting wet. I've been riding the bike like this for a while now, so I can wait.
Regarding the parts delivery, the part that they've sent me arrived quickly. I am not sure about this one because there was no confirmation.
I will update when I hear anything.

Here are some pictures of the controller off the bike -

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,276
That's kinda funky... looks like they seal the whole thing up with potting and don't even put a cover on it (?).

If thats the case, it would be suprising if it didn't get too hot.

Back