Build of Bafang BBS02 from Greenbikekit

Shame there was not a backward facing camera on the handlebars to get a pic of your face when it happened :shock:
I reckon that seatpost mod will be perfect so as I said you just need to keep checking the rack welding now.
I looked all over for a steel seatpost rack but I dont think any were ever made :(
My BBS is currently on 540 miles so not far behind,I do use the Dillenger as well though and its just short of 500 miles.
Todays ride http://www.strava.com/activities/225837853 just a boring ride to the docs and back.

KINNINVIEKID said:
.... backward facing camera on the handlebars to get a pic of your face when it happened....
LOL! I can shoot a new video simulating my reaction. :)

KINNINVIEKID said:
....I reckon that seatpost mod will be perfect so as I said you just need to keep checking the rack welding now....
Good advice. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks

KINNINVIEKID said:
....My BBS is currently on 540 miles so not far behind,I do use the Dillenger as well though and its just short of 500 miles....
540! Maybe we should have a race to see who can put 1000 miles on their bafang first. LOL. And 500 miles on the Dillenger -- most impressive! I put A LOT less miles than that on my previous ebike, because it had such limited range. It would have taken me forever to get 500. :)

I saw this picture today and went gaga at the thought of putting TWO BAFANGS on it. Wow, that would be a SWEET ride. With two riders and two Bafangs, it would be like four people pedaling on one bike. In fact, as soon as I'm done with this post, I'm going to go search ES to see if a tandem bafang has already been done. And since this post actually uses the phrase "tandem bafang" -- twice, in fact -- I know that I'll get at least one search result. LOL. All joking aside, though, I have a vintage Schwinn tandem that I have actually thought about electrifying. Not with two bafangs, though. Just one. Not for mountain biking, just for street riding -- seems like the bafang would give you a decent boost on the uphills. :)

View attachment 1

And while I'm being silly, I thought about adding this to my current build. Not only could you spray the rider in front of you as the consolation prize for not being in first place, but you could spray your bafang whenever it starts getting too hot! LOL

my next bike upgrade.jpg

Hey Darth, I went for a 22 mile ride this Saturday, took a couple of videos.

Quick over view of the bike:
[youtube]95CNKIMsBM8[/youtube]

Poor attempt at discussing how easy it is to pedal because I realized how fast I was going:
[youtube]SFEDQOsBeAA[/youtube]

I had the damned camera tilted too far without checking how it looked. So most of the footage of my ride is not really good for posting. :oops:
I also realized that the camera on my head was poor because I'm always shifting my brain bucket around looking for traffic.
I might get one of those chest mount rigs to simplify that.

Anyhow, I'm starting to rack up some miles and already want to recheck how tight the bottom bracket is. Seems loose because of some squeaky noises while cranking. While breaking it down, I might as well consider a better machine bushing a good fit on the bottom bracket.

600 miles is a long way off!

600 miles is a long way off!

Ok, i feel pretty good about this then. :)

Hit 1250km today. That's 776 miles in 9 weeks. :)

BBS02 still going very well. No rattles, grinds or squeaks as yet.

astmacca said:
Ok, i feel pretty good about this then. :)

Hit 1250km today. That's 776 miles in 9 weeks. :)

BBS02 still going very well. No rattles, grinds or squeaks as yet.

Its ok for you,your weather will be good and getting better,here its freezing and we had our first snowfal of the winter last night!

DARTH___ Maybe it would be a better idea to put one BBS on your tandem along with a nice big geared hub motor then you have the best of both worlds.
BB for hills and hub for cruising.

Looking at the weather forecast I dont think I will be getting many miles on this next couple of weeks.
I have ordered a bike maintenance stand though and when it comes (along with my EM3EV bag and 44T chainring) I will be swapping the BBS onto the Cannondale and then I reckon the miles will soon rack up.
I have also ordered a Suntour NCX12 suspension seatpost for it and a Serfas comfort saddle so may just be able to do some longer rides.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301388057314?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The biggest problem is waiting for Hobbyking to get there fingers out of their butts and get some more Multistar 16Ah's in stock here.

0utrider said:
I might get one of those chest mount rigs to simplify that.
I have a chest mount but haven't tried it yet. Well, I should say, I haven't tried it out on the trail yet. I wore it around the house one time to see how my kids reacted. I'm thinking of wearing it on Christmas morning -- a nice, hands-free way to film the kids opening presents AND my ugly mug never gets filmed -- double bonus! :)

astmacca said:
Hit 1250km today. That's 776 miles in 9 weeks. BBS02 still going very well. No rattles, grinds or squeaks as yet.
Impressive! Well past 1000km. And you'll be in the 1000-mile club before long. :)

KINNINVIEKID said:
...here its freezing and we had our first snowfal of the winter last night!
Normally it would be freezing here, too. Not to mention snow. But another freakishly warm week here. 55 degrees today and the next two days, and supposedly 60 on Thursday! I'll gladly enjoy it while it lasts. I don't EVER remember it being 60 degrees in December ... except that time I went to Disney World. :)

Hmmm. With the tandem, maybe you could modify it as a long tail hauler by removing the seat post, inserting some kind of racking framework that is further supported via brazeons. Cargo bike one day, tandem bike another.

That looks great! I used the chest mount for the last couple of rides, and I really like how the videos look.

Went for another 3-Bafang ride. Like wolves, Bafangs love running in packs. :)

3 bafangs.jpg

View from above the inversion.

ensign overlook bafang.jpg

The miles keep slowly racking up. 800 miles and still going strong, knock on wood.

800 miles.jpg

After reading lots of calculations on theoretical range, I decided to try a real world test to see what my actual range is. At 49 miles, my battery indicator started flashing empty, so dropped PAS down to 30% and dropped my speed to a crawl just so I could say I made it a full 50 miles. But I'm officially calling it 49 miles.

Here's all the relevant info I can think of:
--49 miles, all paved, except one brief 1/4 mile trail I took for fun
--rider weight 215 lbs
--flat terrain (total climbing distance of about 300 feet, all gradual climbs except for one overpass)
--very little wind (moderate headwind for 1.5 miles, moderate side wind for 2 miles, mostly calm for the rest)
--20 Amp hour lipo battery pack (960 watt hours)
--PAS set the entire 49 miles to 70% (limit current), with no cutoff for higher cadence (100% limit spd)
--no throttle use
--regular knobby mt bike tires inflated to 42 psi
--38 tooth chain ring
--ambient temperature 40-48 F degrees
--internal Bafang temperature stay at a constant 84 F degrees

This comes out to 19.59 watt hours per mile. I remember reading someone's rule of thumb to expect 15 watt hours per mile with moderate PAS and 30 watt hours per mile throttle only, no pedaling. So I guess that puts me right about where I would expect to be. Given my aching back this morning (this is the farthest I've ever ridden in a single day), I have very little motivation to try and get closer to 15 watt hours per mile, such as using road tires, putting the stock ring back on (but keep the same average speed of 19 mph), lowering PAS to 50% or so, and losing about 30 lbs. :)

You can get pre-made xt90 harness for parallel and serial direct from hobbyking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=xt90+harness

makes for a much cleaner install.. 2 or 4 - 6s packs 16 AH should be more than enough for Bafang

Just realized what you did to get the three 4s packs to run in series (plugging the HXT connectors together directly). Brilliant. I had wired up a series connector harness before - a pain to make due to needing to solder 4 HXT connectors, that's eight total solder points! Plus I hate all the extra wires hanging about, ruins the stealthiness of the Bafang. I just had ordered 6 more packs of the 4s hardpacks for another bike I'm doing since they are on sale at HK for $22 right now. I was dreading doing two more of those series connector harness. You just saved me hours of soldering!
Its worth it to me to pay for the HK versions if going with two 6s packs, but to tie three packs in series this is so much cleaner.

dirkdiggler said:
You just saved me hours of soldering!
Glad to help! I can't take credit for the idea, though. I learned it from hie2kolob, who is the expert in all things Bafang. Everything I know about electric bikes I learned from him. :)

darth_elevator said:
dirkdiggler said:
You just saved me hours of soldering!
Glad to help! I can't take credit for the idea, though. I learned it from hie2kolob, who is the expert in all things Bafang. Everything I know about electric bikes I learned from him. :)

Wow, what a gracious compliment!

But don't let darth_elevator's kindness fool you - he is a master at many things especially those related to motors, engines, servos, wiring and anything that deals with RC wings. He builds and flies RC drones that he can control more than 10 miles away.

What little I know about RC aircraft I learned from him! :)

Woohoo! 1000 miles on my Bafang. Here's to the next thousand.

darth_elevator said:
Woohoo! 1000 miles on my Bafang. Here's to the next thousand.

Yes, 1000 miles!

Or 1609 kilometers - much more impressive!

However, only a mere 0.0000000001701 light years...

Up to 1061 problem free miles today.
Bikes now got 48Ah of Multistars in the bags so good for 120 miles+ a trip,shame my butt cant manage that distance though :shock:

CAM02275_zpscba89db3.jpg

What??? You really have 48ah of batteries in those bags? That makes five hours or so of battery use. Nice.

No,not in those bags,in the bike bag!The triangle bag has a couple of spare tubes with gas bottles to blow them up along with a jacket and the small blue bag has tools in.
I could fit another pair in the EM3EV bag but pretty pointless really:)

KINNINVIEKID said:
Up to 1061 problem free miles today....48Ah of Multistars in the bags....
Congratulations on 1061! I'm gonna have to go on some big rides to ever catch up. :)

I'm very interested in how you got that many amp hours on your bike. I hadn't heard of the Bike Bag before. Can you give me more details about it? I don't need 48Ah, but I'm intrigued by the location of your bag, as I think that might work for my bike. I only have 20Ah, but it's all on a rear rack, and I have no triangle since it's a full suspension bike, and I'd like to know more about that bag since I think it would work on my bike.

hie2kolob said:
....only a mere 0.0000000001701 light years...
Hahaha! Very funny, sir!

Hey, dirkdiggler, good to see you again. Are you still riding your Bafang much?

The Additive bag is great for full sus bikes.
It comes from Germany and although the site does not list shipping to USA you just need to e-mail them for a quote.
They have already sent one to a fellow ESer stateside.
It just takes 3 16Ah Multistars in each side.
http://www.additive-bikes.com/additive-bag-v2/additive-bag-v2.html

Got a few more miles in yesterday (62.4) over the moors and just about to go out again today as the weather is not too bad but its forecast to snow tonight.

Tan Hill Inn, the highest pub in England.

14460012_zpsshkyhkiw.jpg

14490019_zps3olv4fve.jpg

14490020_zpsxmk2hq9o.jpg

13360001_zps8ugctlmn.jpg

Back