Bulk Charging Lipo Battery Question

jdbauman

1 W
I have a dumb question... I was hoping some of you experts on the Forum could help me out...

I have 6 - 5000Mah 6s 1p Turnigy Lipo batteries that I have been charging individually using a Hyperion EOS1420inet3 charger. Everything works great. I have now connected the batteries in Parallel in order to charge all the batteries at once, as though it is one big battery. Everything was charging just fine, and then the charging cut off, and the screen flashed "Capacity End" when the batteries hit about 40% capacity. I think it is because I have the battery capacity still set to 5,000 Mah. Should I be changing this to 30,000 Mah since I have 6 cells in parallel?

Sorry about the dumb question, but I'm just trying to get my mind around this...

Thanks!

And you might need to increase the time out setting also.

Yes, change capacity and time. I have mine set to the maximums (50000mah,720min).

Best to set it for capacity of packs and time based on current. Setting to max amount defeats the safety features of such a good charger. Last thing you want is a fire with such a big pack.

Thanks for all the replies... I am still having the problem where midway through the charge cycle, my charger just aborts the charge process. It does not give me any indication as to why. Initially, the charger would quit charging and give me a "capacity end" message. I think that is because I had the pack capacity set to 5000 Mah. I changed that setting to 30000 and it no longer quits out due to that error.

These are the settings I have on my charger: (Its a hyperion EOS1420iNET3)
Batt Type = Lipo
Batt volts = 22.2 Vpack (6S)
Batt Capacity = 30000 mAh
Charge Current = 20.0 A
Temp Cutoff = 50 C
Safety Timer = off
TCS Capacity = 100%
TCS End Action = Stop
TVC = Your Risk! + 0mV (4.200V c/C)
Discharge Amps = 10.0A
Discharge Volst = 3.5V / Cell

Any ideas on what should be changed to keep my charging from quitting out mid charge? Thanks again for all your help!

Jerry

Those settings look reasonable.

Is it possible you've somehow switched to Store instead of Charge?

When you say it stops, does it play the completion music, or just stop increasing capacity when left for a while?

20 amps, are you sure your power supply is able to put out that much. It could well be that the supply is overheating and causing your charger to shut down. It monitors input voltages as well.

Mines doing the same :shock: no idea why, I have same settings with the exception of the TCS end action setting, has never bothered me as the charging setup is right next to me when charging pack, I just hit the start charge buttons again, doesn't seem to matter what settings I use, PMed GGoodrum about it never got a reply back.

KiM

P.s mine plays the completed charge music also, i'm running dual 24 v meanwels to power the hyperion

Thanks for all the helpful ideas...

The charger is definitely set the "charge" not "store". When it cuts out, the hyperion does not play the "charge completed" tune, it simply exits out of charge mode.

I am using an Alinco DM-330MV power supply capable of providing 32Amps, so I don't believe it is the power supply (even though it does get very hot to the touch during charging).

It's a pain charging the 6 cells individually...

Jerry

Back