Buying forest land, implementing solar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well, now that we've determined wedges are inadequate for 100-200 feet tall trees...

I think roping the top of the tree and winching it or come-alonging-it is in order.

Just now how exactly are we going to get a rope wrapped and tied around a 150 foot tall tree.

I'm hoping to find a solution other than "climbing it".

Maybe I'll try to find a smalltime operator who wouldn't mind making some money selling the lumber to the sawmill.

Mon ami was telling me that the sawmill only wants to deal with huge properties because of all the setup they have to do.

the morning before last night, I woke up with some serious plegm in my throat, and feeling pretty tired with the watering eyes. Had some cocoa and bananas and it soon cleared up.

Then last night, felt like my chest was getting tight, making it difficult to get comfortable when feeling tired. Since the tiredness soon came after walking around and it came relatively early (9 pm), i guessed low blood sugar. Seems like 2 bananas helped alleviated the discomfort somewhat-confirming the theory, but it came back in a smaller form with modest effort, so I stopped that.

All yesterday, my right lobe was paining off and on, unusually.I figured it might've been muscular, though vascular concerns concerned me and it didn't seem like i was able to trigger it thru head movements, which it seemed associated with.

I suspect maybe the lobe pain comes in the face of low blood pump volume, and i suspected low blood sugar causes. But it didn't seem like 2 bananas completely solved it, which i would suspect if it was purely low blood sugar.

Yeah, I just hope nothing's really wrong.

Controlling the direction of the fall of these tall leaning trees.

Terry Hale of Youtube seems to think ropes are necessary.

$250 ropes, like 150 feet of 1/2 inch poly.

Then it seems to control the direction of the fall while at top requires additional restraining ropes.

Or we can just hope the backcut will suffice and the hinge won't "static shock" shatter as the tree is being bent like Terry Hale seems to think happens. Another video demonstrates the direction of the fall is determined by the tangent of the backcut.

That's what happened with the tree I tried yesterday. The hinge "shattered" as I was driving in the wedges, and then it fell in the direction of the lean, what I was trying to reverse.

Investigators said that the pair has been in a secret relationship, and between November and February, Esterly signed 16 year old Yu out of school 10 times because the girl may have added him to her school emergency contact list as her stepfather.

Lol, what the HEB chick was attempting, a secret relationship (What I suspected of the end-note). That didn't stay a secret for too long, I'm guessing.

So, to throw a rope in a tree.

We need a weight. Throw bag.
A slippery plastic throwline.
Then 5/8" 150 foot arborist rope.

Looks like $100.

Then they have a fancy throwbag launcher for $130, called the bigshot.

i think with a setup like this, around 75 feet high up is the furthest we could get a rope up a tree.

Based on these 14 inch diameter trees around here being easily 110 feet tall, I think 150-200 feet is an easy estimate for these trees on the new property that are 24 inches diameter.

Oh, look. https://www.wsj.com/articles/houston-mansion-lists-for-30-million-1520265358

The most expensive house in Houston is based on the palace of Versailles with distinct roman influences. Oh, kind of like my dream home.

Who's the owner?

https://www.edbosarge.com/about/about-ed-bosarge/

I get the impression this guy gained millions owning an oil exploration firm in Texas, and then he further multiplied those millions by applying mathematical models to the stock market in the 80s and 90s. (He was in his 40s-50s by the time he entered the stock market)

So, getting very rich off the stock market is indeed possible. I kind of questioned the idea of getting a 29x return on my investment in 7 years, but seeing a house like this tells me it's not!

So I wanted to get three trees down now, assuming I could get the rest down later.

But now I'm not so confident I have the ability to get every one of them down in a controlled manner, and that'd be a problem.

I thought maybe I could get a rope around a tree that high up using a quadcopter, but viability questions remain.

I guess for now, I'll look at:

cost for taking down the 3 critical trees.
cost/profit for taking down all of them.

And then I'll make a decision. I'm thinking I might gain the ability to take down the rest of them later on, but if the cost for taking all of them down is minor, or even if there is a profit... I might elect to do that.

And, so, I'll need to scout phone numbers to call for estimates.

Think maybe I'll call the sawmill and see if they have any references.

http://answers.angieslist.com/who-call-free-tree-removal-exchange-wood-q47400.aspx

looking here, appears I should be contacting arborists, logging companies and the such. And one such that I saw in google maps doesn't open until Monday.

So, in the mean time, I guess I'll be looking for survey stakes and getting estimates on the trees. (Height/diameter and number of them.)

A 2x4x8 going for $3 now...

Just imagining how many of those are in a 24-inch 200 foot tree.

Let's do a simple volume estimate.

2x4x8= 64 in^3

(pi*12^2)*150*12*.8= 651440 in^3

651440/64 = 10,000x

So, $30,000 worth of lumber in that one tree, eh...

And I have like 20 of them...

You're telling me I have to pay someone for that? lol.

[that doesn't make a lot of sense, though, why would the land only be worth $7000 then?]

Call a few lumber yards in your area, and find out if there is a company who will remove your trees and pay you for the wood.

Call lumberyards, sawmills, arborists and loggers.

I see warnings like 'do not advertise your property address or your trees might be stolen'.

I'm thinking, "I'm OK with that!", lol.

That was 24 inches including the bark. I guess the actual wood might be 22" diameter.

Okay, so got new estimates on the property.

20-25 pines.

About 5 pines are above 20".
The rest are between 10-20 inches.

I'd estimate the actual height of the trees is around 120-150 feet tall.

And I was unable to locate the survey pins. Saw possible signs of survey stake placement in the past (saw nearby aged cut tree branches in the area), but my metal detector couldn't find it.

Seeing my friend's issue with his neighbor overstepping his bounds, I'm somewhat concerned that the neighbor might have pulled the survey stake just like he did.

So, I guess I should get a survey if I need to hire an arborist to clear the property. Don't know if it's really needed.

I'll get some estimates soon on Monday when everybody reopens.

DAND214 said:
There is no way YOU will be able to reverse the fall of a tree with a bad lean. I know you will say so but I still say NO WAY!

Dan

I'm sure it's possible, but it'll likely require equipment that'll be only somewhat cheaper than hiring a professional and a heckuva lot less risky for me, in terms of personal safety and financial risks. (getting sued for property damage)

DAND214 said:
There is no way YOU will be able to reverse the fall of a tree with a bad lean. I know you will say so but I still say NO WAY!

Dan

H.E.B. chick, organic bananas, expert on women even when it's filthy and dateless. YOU, sir, fail to recognize what a miraculous being he has proven himself to be over and over. Nietzsche said it best about the rules do not apply to a SUPERMAN!

Damn, I'd buy that sawdust right now. I've had no luck finding it for sale around me, but it would be great for my lawn in this drought environment.

Doesn't this seem like a probable fairy tale ending, lol.

images

Funny, reading about 'Confederacy of Dunces', I see the main character is 30 years old and the author soon committed suicide after he wrote it, at age 31.

I'm like wth....

He wrote a "loser manifesto" and then committed suicide right afterwards? You're telling me the author was portraying himself in this self-pitying piece of work? Sure enough, wikipedia confirms this suspicion.

"I just wrote this book, I'm such a loser. *bang*"

Its hilarious one other have charged me with this crime (of being a loser), when I'm succeeding far more than they! And hilariously, I have nothing in common with Ignatius, I have no disdain for popular culture at all. Now the vast majority of yahoo answer people (mostly boomers)... it seems like THEY do.

I actually do wonder about the economic background surrounding him.

Was there any recessions happening?

I don't think so, that's purportedly one of America's halcyon periods, from 50-72.

Then from 85-2009.

that implies... 13 years... the next Halcyon period of America should be starting 2022. That kind of seems plausible looking at the direction of the employment-population ratio and how the affect of weakening mortgage standards needs at least several years to have a strong affect on the economy, so I would expect a significant era-kind of boost in another 3-5 years.

-----------

Now this I understand.

Suffering from depression and feelings of persecution, Toole left home on a journey around the country. He stopped in Biloxi, Mississippi, to end his life by running a garden hose in from the exhaust of his car to the cabin.

In particular, "Feelings of persecution".

You don't have to go far in this neighborhood to get that feeling, with your immediate illegal neighbors threatening and attempting murder, and then this other guy across the river threatening to shoot. You think he might be playing around, but I didn't really get that impression though, which is funny considering I never even talked to the fugger. But, I suspect it's that 'dominant male body language' that attracts the girls, is the same thing that provokes local warlords, so not really a bad sign. Reassuring actually, lol.

I just want to be somewhere where's not so much of a sausage-and-illegal-fest going on, lol.

And, a bit closer to the employment hotspots.

swbluto said:
Funny, reading about 'Confederacy of Dunces', I see the main character is 30 years old and the author soon committed suicide after he wrote it, at age 31.

I'm like wth....

He wrote a "loser manifesto" and then committed suicide right afterwards? You're telling me the author was portraying himself in this self-pitying piece of work? Sure enough, wikipedia confirms this suspicion.

"I just wrote this book, I'm such a loser. *bang*"

Nope. His suicide was considered an impulsive thing, if he hadn't been upset that particular moment it wouldn't have happened, etc. You could relate to his delusions of people out to get him but he was teaching and wasn't exactly the image of a loser. Also he was CLEAN. This guy only took one year to get his masters degree, thesis approved, etc. He was apparently quite popular, a real partier, dancer, comic, etc.

He spent 4 years trying to get the book published, making minor changes but refusing to do the rework they kept telling him he needed. I read the book, of course: There is no central issue to the story to be resolved, basically it's about Ignatius Reilly never really amounting to anything. Great moments, like a job interview late in the book, but mostly it needed to be edited down and not dwell laboriously on moments that don't mean anything. Apparently that was more work than he wanted to commit to it, he work another novel during this time and he was working. That was also published in unfinished form after his death, as was the one from his teen years.

Oh, you can relate to his suicide note, called "Bizarre and preposterous. Violent. Ill fated. . .Insane ravings." I have heard his parents were financially dependent on him, he was obsessed with a former girlfriend that wouldn't marry him but at least she was an exGIRLFRIEND and not imaginary.

Basically he was a snowflake but also struck by the foolishness of being one, he had writings that referred to the psychologically challenged becoming social activists to make themselves feel better, etc. I'm not a real expert on him, but I'd guess his mood swings were more because of his obsessive need to think himself better. . . .

swbluto said:
Its hilarious one other have charged me with this crime (of being a loser), when I'm succeeding far more than they! And hilariously, I have nothing in common with Ignatius. . . .

Yeah, that kind of nonsense. You ARE Ignatius Reilly. Read the book.

swbluto said:
I just want to be somewhere where's not so much of a sausage-and-illegal-fest going on, lol.

And, a bit closer to the employment hotspots.

Yeah, that's how Ignatius felt, alright. . . .

The tale of the HEB chick, you're telling me she really was a loser like she personally thought of herself? But she was just like me, that can't be true, lol.

Yeah, I'll admit, that anorexic twenty something... got the sense she was "a loser" weeding herself out of the population via starvation. Wanted to knock some sense into that girl.

I don't really care what I am, the only thing I care about is to never stop striving and never give up, no matter if its matters of love or resources. Those kinds of labels lose relevance when you're a rich mofo like me, lol.

And spring weather is upon us, it's sunny today and the dating sites are HOT right now (According to the site). That's no surprise!

when the weathers' fine, girls and gals on the mind.

And I'm still trying to get my place built, lol.

swbluto said:
The tale of the HEB chick, you're telling me she really was a loser like she personally thought of herself? But she was just like me, that can't be true, lol.

Just like you? You're admitting you're imaginary?

swbluto said:
I don't really care what I am, the only thing I care about is to never stop striving and never give up. . . .

Yeah, that was Iggy to the end.

I thought, if i ultimately have to pay to get the trees removed as many previous customer quotes suggest ($3000-6000/acre according to one source), I'm going to limit it to the three trees that need to be taken down. I literally just need it cut, no need to haul.

I'm pretty sure I can handle one of the trees myself (The lean is unquestionable on that one, no doubt which direction it'll fall), but the other two I think I'd prefer to let professionals handle it.

then I think i'm going to leave the rest on the property, and i'm building a protective barrier along my back side to protect the house from falling trees.

All the trees that have fallen historically, have fallen from behind, and there's only one real threat from the right side. The risk of that guy falling precisely in the direction of my house from the distance he's at is pretty miniscule, but I can also loop the protective barrier around my right flank.

Dauntless said:
Yeah, that was Iggy to the end.

Well, talking off years of experience, it's far better than worrying!

Enemies will be enemies, that much I've come to recognize. It's hard to put certain figures on the enemy/nuetral/friend ratio, but it seems like it's been historically higher than what I think "is normal". Wouldn't be unexpected for "the persecuted".

Witch hunt, that's the theme, lol. I don't think it really ended with Salem, lol.

Kind of reminded me of this one story, 'she got a funny feeling about him' and found out that he once dared to tell a girl I love you and kept a lock of hair hidden in his drawer. My thinking = BIG WHOOP! Good detective work, nancy drew, lol. You found a creepy guy. :roll:

Apparently that got him fired.

I read this situation as this "girl" had a personal bias against this guy, and went on a witch hunt to find anything that she could use to attack him.

He too was likely "the persecuted", granted, he's a little creepier than I am. But maybe that's because he has to be, knowing the delicacy of his situation vs. me in a checkout line with someone of unknown age.

Saw another image...

went like...

I love feeling loved, holding a gaze, holding hands.

Isn't that a curious association?

After holding the HEB chick's gaze, she pretended to be holding my hand, lol.

I would've kissed her with reckless abandon, had I cleared a few legal hurdles, lol.

Here it is.

05152d310005713498736d091b6bb95dd0e835-wm.jpg

987816260bb3476cfd348384c099edb6.jpg

Maybe I'm taking out of this context... but would this apply to all the disbelievers in this environment? lol.

And what is the intended meaning of this image anyway? Don't explain that you love someone to your enemies?

Well, that almost seems like it's especially apt for this environment, lol.

swbluto said:
Well, talking off years of experience, it's far better than worrying!

Enemies will be enemies, that much I've come to recognize. It's hard to put certain figures on the enemy/nuetral/friend ratio, but it seems like it's been historically higher than what I think "is normal". Wouldn't be unexpected for "the persecuted".

Witch hunt, that's the theme, lol. I don't think it really ended with Salem, lol.

Here's what you need. I mean can you really act crazy after listening to Gustav Holst? I know your capacity is high, still. . . .

Notice how you feel like you're listening to every major movie theme that had an orchestra. The man was so influential. First you'll hear every science fiction theme in 'Mars: Bringer of War.' Then it's on to romance with 'Venus: Bringer of Peace' and romantic comedy with 'Mercury: The Messenger.' Big Westerns, 'Jupiter: Bringer of Jollity.' Film Noir, 'Saturn: Bringer of Old Age.' Knights in Armor, 'Uranus: The Magician.' If I haven't covered it yet, there's still 'Neptune: The Mystic.'

[youtube]Isic2Z2e2xs[/youtube]

Well, this damn cough is planning on keeping me awake all night. Now, HOW might I know what a cough is planning? Prior experience tells me that a cough like this DOES keep me up all night. I had to run out and get cough drops because if I lay down the cough ramps up to where I'm just not gonna sleep. I might get lucky and sleep a little toward morning.

So why is it that when you look in the mirror an object is backward instead of upside down? It is because the mirror reflects the close objects as close and the distant objects as distant. If it was flipped as people think if you held up one hand you'd see the opposite side lifted, wouldn't you?

6÷2(1+2) = ?

You may go looking for things that are entertaining when you can't sleep. I go looking for things that are interesting. More likely to put me to sleep. Except maybe the snorkeling video, I just keep thinking I should go try that.

Bayes1.gif

[youtube]BrK7X_XlGB8[/youtube]

I see logical equations like that and I think, not because they are "easy", but because they are "hard".

[youtube]EeGw32e5Em4[/youtube]

I'm not sure I really believe this guy, I think it's because they wanted to one up the russians who already beat them as being first to space. Constantly racing to prove who was the "better" superpower.

in-conclusion-im-better-than-you.jpg

I find when I come across "hard" things, I get bored easily and get sleepy, so I see how you think.

Seems like what happened last night, started work last night, started getting a little tired at the prospect, went to bed and then slept for 2.5 hours, lol. That doesn't normally happen, usually I get a 30 minute nap, but seems like I've sleeping lately at 8 p.m. for 2hours at a time on occasion. then from 1-5 a.m., but it was 3-7 a.m. this morning because this damn wasp thingie was keeping me up, lol.

Do you know the cause of your coughs? If not, I can try my hand at suggesting possibilities and possible antidotes.

Around this time of the year, allergies have been picking up around here, started sneezing until my nostrils filled, started doing this about 3 days ago, curiously just a week after the insects came back. It's almost like the resurgence in mosquitos/ants/insects and pollen/budding are in complete unison, started around mar 1 here.

"close to the employment hotspots", that preference is like the entirety of Houston's working age population judging from real estate prices, lol.

I find it funny that china says "tariffs will be disaster for world economy". Translation, "it'll be disaster for our country", no kidding, lol.

They essentially sap a percentage of the American economy via fulfillment of our manufacturing capacity, so they are entirely dependent on trade with America for their wealth. Maybe not entirely, they do export to europe too... but to a large extent, yes.

So, bringing back that "wealth" to America thru trading pressures and competitive corporate tax rates would presumably make the USA wealthier and them poorer.

And, I have no problems with that, a return to the early 90s would be kind of nice, lol, where China was poor and America was doing pretty OK.

Dauntless said:
Bayes1.gif

[youtube]BrK7X_XlGB8[/youtube]

Oh yes, probabilities need to take into account population sizes or relative sample sizes. I've seen a few problems like that on an actuarial exam (Got a special offer from the "actuarial society" because of my exceptional math scores). I was able to answer the questions correctly, despite not being formally taught bayes theorem, mostly because "it just makes sense".

How much money will I make as an actuary? Actuaries are well compensated. Experienced Fellows have the potential to earn from $150,000 to $250,000 annually, and many actuaries earn more than that. Review our salary web page for more details and links to external actuarial salary surveys.

Damn, maybe I should've pursued that, lol.

I didn't pursue it because, based on the size of the job population, it didn't seem "readily achievable".

23,600 actuaries in 2016
I have a much better chance of becoming a software engineer than an actuary based on that number!

Applying probabilities to the real world job market, yes.

Like all these google results suggesting I have some devastating rare disease... i have to ask myself, "how common is that versus how common is this?"

I understand how this works, too, because people who are searching for something like that will click the scariest one, pushing it towards the top of the results. So, essentially, google results don't reflect "The likeliest possibility", they reflect "the scariest possibility", something a gullible hypochondriac definitely doesn't need.

Mon ami tells me he got a car loan via his Edward Jones account at 7% interest, and no need for full auto insurance. This was compared to 15% interest at the bank and a requirement for full auto.

He told me if the market crashes or whatever, he might need to sell a few stocks, but no real biggie.

Anyway, that seems kind of cool, using stocks as collateral for a car loan with favorable terms.

Anyway,trend around this neighborhood among the property owners is 40-somethings with small kids, and a few 50-60 somethings. Now about 2/3rds mexican.

The trend in the neighborhood I'm seeing is more like 50-70 something caucasian property owners and it's in a strategically better position (Close to houston,close to town).

So, yeah, I'm climbing the ladder,lol.

Now what does this come down to...

since you ask...

perserverance
longterm planning
cost minimization
action
opportunity finding/recognition and seizing
and a tiny bit of cheating here and there, especially as it relates to costs.

Let's see, how much is my osb costs going up now...

20x28 = 560

560/32=17.5

17.5*4 = $70

And my stud costs?

I'd say about $100.

Dang it, I didn't know stud costs went up in season, and it seemed like the thicker OSB never went up but now it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back