Buying newer, more expensive used cars

Much depends on what you call newer, and more expensive. That's very relative to your income, and or expectations.

My own history, a crap ton of cars that often had 120,000 + miles on them when I bought them. Used to be, this was a not so bad approach. I could fix stuff on them fairly easy myself. We did well with the 62 pickup, the 64 falcon, the 70 maverick, the 78 vw van and the 66 bug, all this was in the 80's. We did so so with some others, a Cherokee, and several other trucks, and a couple subarus. We did have to start looking for at least under 100,000 miles.

The subarus needed work a fair bit, but one of the major reasons I started buying them was that they are very easy to work on. Many times easier to replace an alternator on them than any Honda, or other more modern cars. Even today, you can put a Subaru engine on the table in one hour. A bit longer than it took for the bugs, but still amazing compared to doing a timing belt on todays cars.

But after the falcon, we did start paying just a little bit more for my wifes cars. She just needed more reliability. If she was late for work, hundreds of chem students would be unable to do the lab till she showed up to unlock the stock room.

So since about 90, we held out for cheap cars that still had low miles, under 50,000 miles. To keep it cheap, this meant some fairly shitty cars, like a ford festiva ( similar to a geo metro), and a couple of ford focus cars. One of the focuses was a bit of a lemon, and a salvage title. But it still ran good for the cost. The second one (which just burned up in the fire) had been a great car, with little need for working on it.

All her cars ended up having a very low cost per mile, around 40 cents more or less. Not bad, considering some of my e bikes have come in at 35 cents a mile! But the bikes would be cheaper if I got by on less battery size.

Only once have I paid big bucks for a car, more than 10 thou. When I got sick, I was still trying to work through it for two years. I needed a new car bad, and could not settle for one I'd have to work on. I was way too weak to do a timing belt or water pump on a car.

I went to the high dollar dealer in town, and bought a used Subaru with 18,000 miles, two years old. I paid way too much for it. Part of that was the easy financing. I could pay more and get a really low interest rate, or pay cash and pay closer to what it was really worth. Then, I tacked on an extended warranty bumper to bumper for 3 years. This jacked up the price to stupid paying too much.

But it worked!. I had a strategy in mind. I still had the old Subaru around, and kept driving it around town. It could not do a long trip, but it could make it across town. We drove the wifes focus a lot too. Basically, I tried to keep the miles I put on the new car down to a minimum. The cost of this car including insurance was 450 a month, whether I drove it or not. So the cost of using it turned out to be around 75-80 cents a mile.

Today the car is recently paid off, and is the only good car we have. It's never needed anything but tires and a battery.

But now its cost per mile is only gas and repairs, and it still has only 60,000 miles on it. To buy one like it, would be about 12-15 thou. Bottom line, it may still cost me a lot per mile when I total its entire life up. But for the next ten years or so, it should run pretty reliably for very little out of this months check. In 40,000 miles or so, I'll pull the engine and do the valves, timing belt, and water pump, if it does not have problems sooner. That will cost less than a thou, since I am now heathier again. More or less, I will be doing just tires, gas, CVs, battery, etc for quite some time now.

So the first thing you need is a strategy. Will this be a car you need to be utterly reliable? Will you need that for longer trips out of town? Or can you get by with a car that you know will need that water pump and timing belt? Then after that, and maybe some CV's, it will be reliable enough, but not as much as a low miles car.

Our household really likes having one car well under 100,000 miles. The second or third vehicle can be much less reliable, with a lot more miles. This approach really only works because I can do the CV's or whatever, even if its a bitch to work on like a focus or Honda. But if I had my wish, we'd have like three subarus, all easy to work on. One very new, one 10 years old, and a beater I could bash around the desert in.

Yes a beater would be a best option for me but I am 36 now, tired of even looking at a dirty car. It will be so nice to see a nice newer looking car every day then a beater, something to keep me going from day to day. Not too interested in an electric car, especially since I will not drive much. I want one but only if I build one myself which I don't think I would ever finish. However I have changed my mind again, all my money is just too much. Looking at older 350z's for 8k to 10k. A used sports car that is that old I know if very risky, I owned a camaro and beat the hell out of it from friends egging me on to do burn outs when I was young. Just the nonsense I see on craigslist is enough to get worried, like one says salvage title in florida but clean title in MN, what the heck does that mean, it is salvage! Then others that are just vague, runs great, very clean.... I figure take my time and bring every one to a shop, I know a guy that owns a muffler shop pretty well, he owns like 30 different vintage race/sports cars. I will have him check out everything on his lift. There is one guy who is the original owner and older, he says he just retired, and only 30k miles but wants 3k over bluebook, has $1300 rims on it though. Talked with him and price is firm but I asked him to keep me in mind for 11k.

The winery bought a brand new 2007 Toyota Matrix and I have been using it mostly for wine deliveries and kid functions. It now has 200,000 miles and runs and operates great! My Dad got his money out of this car as far as utility goes it doesn't owe the winery a penny. I am considering buying it for myself.... Bottom line though is all cars are a waste of money. I still ride my gas scooter and ebikes to and from work saving myself and the winery a ton of miles on the vehicles. 8)

I was watching the Nightly Business Report a couple of nights ago,

They had a Guest on that said " Soon there will be many lease return cars on dealer's lots "
Many as in Way more than years past.
He said about 3 years ago, ( I am guessing when the new cars come out like June-July )
many people leased new cars , and their lease is up and now must lease a new one or buy a new car.
So within a month or just over there are going to be a large amount of cars to chose from. At lower than usual prices.

The Caveat is this only apply's to Cars , not SUV's There will still be high demand and high profit margins for dealers on SUV's / Trucks.

ScooterMan101 said:
I was watching the Nightly Business Report a couple of nights ago,

They had a Guest on that said " Soon there will be many lease return cars on dealer's lots "
Many as in Way more than years past.
He said about 3 years ago, ( I am guessing when the new cars come out like June-July )
many people leased new cars , and their lease is up and now must lease a new one or buy a new car.
So within a month or just over there are going to be a large amount of cars to chose from. At lower than usual prices.

The Caveat is this only apply's to Cars , not SUV's There will still be high demand and high profit margins for dealers on SUV's / Trucks.

I think that might be now for the 370z's I have been looking at. The main Nissan dealership here in MN has like 10 of them, they even are throwing money away on ebay with high reserve price auctions which are expensive. It is funny a cars they have listed for 26k only gets 18k in auction, like 50-100 dollars thrown away from a pointless ebay auction.

I went and checked out a 370z today since it was close to me. Just to take a look at them. These guys are just bonkers though, excellent bluebook value is 21k and they won't go below 24.5k. They treat it like it is worth it's weight in gold.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ctd/6144571801.html

Edit:
Actually what do you think about it? I really just want to get this over with and buy a car, this one has so low of miles. Might see what they say about 23k.

silviasol said:
they won't go below 24.5k. They treat it like it is worth it's weight in gold

That's how dealers operate, they'll talk it up like it is gold but if you where to buy it and try to sell it straight back to them they'll tell you it's only aluminium, congrats on making a decision, it looks like a nice fun car to drive and watch out for cyclists

i would suggest you wait.
That is the first one you looked at ? .....there are plenty of others out there waiting.
However....Any seller will find it hard to turn down a firm offer of cash on the spot.
If you really want that car take some cash and show it to them, offer $21k (top book value) and see what happens ...
.....but. walk away if necessary.

Sounds like you want more car than my wife could live with, and that will cost you.

But a fairly low miles economy car, though hard to find, is still usually relatively cheap. These days, cheap may still be 10 thou, but certainly you would never pay more than 5-10 k for a focus, or similar chevy. The Hondas and nissans, or subarus are not really economy cars anymore, but like my deal, if you keep it long enough it may still pay. Bites to pay so much now though!

One car that kind of became a loser for Toyota was the yaris. For some reason they just did not get popular. So maybe you can find one of those with 80 thou on it, and make it last another 100. Much cheaper than the too popular Honda accords.

One thing I learned, if you buy from private sellers, look for the guy who's retired. Don't buy cars from young guys.

Be very patient if you can, and enjoy the hunt. If you can't, buy another beater for temporary use. Right now, since I had a car and a motorcycle burn up, I'm driving an old dodge neon. $500 bucks. I just needed it till the house remodel finishes up, and we know what we will have left of the insurance money. But for now, it will get me through the summer.

Back