CA3 capable of customized display?

dtbh

100 µW
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to customize the display of the CA3? My use case is that I'm setting up an e bike for a local nonprofit to use for an accessible riding pilot and I want to have all of the control of CA3 with baserunner to set nice gentle assist curves and a digital button for setting the assist level, but the CA3 display is a nightmare for newbs with way too much information and a lot of screens that don't show you the current assist level at a glance. I would love to set it up so that the main screen has the words "assist level" and a simple 1 2 3 4 5 and maybe a speed reading and nothing else. Is there any way to program the CA3 to have a custom display? I'd also like it so that there's only one screen and not 6 different pages of information. These riders should just be able to get on and ride. Or maybe the Cycle Analyst is not the right solution for this project? advice is appreciated. my low tech solution will be to just hide the CA under the rear rack and not have a display at all but that seems less user friendly.

Thanks!

There have been discussions on FOSS projects accepting and adapting the info stream

but I think not realized

other than making your own based on one or more of the various incomplete or just-an-idea threads about custom-made ca frontends, the only way to do that kind of thing with the ca is to contact grin tech about customizing the firmware for you. last i read that starts at about a thousand dollars.

the baserunner itself has a lot of customizable settings and may almost do what you need by itself.

what you mgiht be able to do is just use it, and perhaps an arduino nano or similar, and have the nano interpret the throttle or other control inputs to do what you want, and just use a simple led indicator for assist level, perhaps on a dedicated two-button up/down control on the bars.

there is a thread started by me about various nano ideas, though i do not have any code there yet gbecause various things have happened that kept me from getting back to it and i don't iknow when i will be able to do so since i have to learn coding first.

While the timing won't help the OP with his current project it appears that Grin is moving towards also offering setups that are a bit simpler than those that include the Cycle Analyst. The new BaseRunner 4 wiring looks like it will integrate better into setups that are popular on commercial ebikes or other vendor's kits. Specifically those with a less "intelligent" display and a bit more reliance on the controller for managing the PAS/torque sensor and braking inputs. That new 9pin "mains" cable sure is interesting.

It sounds like the BaseRunner 4 could be ideal as the basis for a very minimal ebike configuration ... those having no or a very minimal display and well integrated wiring.

Maybe Grin could also produce a future "4.5" version that folds the pcb into a formfactor that could be stuffed into tubes? (or water bottle batteries, etc.)

This is all great info, thanks!

I will experiment more with my own setup and see what I can come up with :)

Back