CA3 firmware update v3.14 to v3.15 breaks Speedometer function

Htfan

100 W
Just recently updated my CA3 to firmware version 3.15 (latest stable) from v3.14. However, the speedometer function of the CA3 no longer worked (displays only 0.00). I verified the "pulse" settings (23) for a generic 9C hub motor.

So, I downgraded back to v3.14 firmware and the speedometer function works fine again. Any troubleshooting ideas or am I stuck with this older firmware version.

Appreciate troubleshooting tips or links if available.

Last edited:
I've seen Speedo issues reported with 3.2, can't remember if I've read of any with 3.15. So far reversion has been the only fix I remember working for sure.

If all of the speedo settings are correct, but it doesn't work in 3.15 but does work in 3.14, then it isn't hardware, just firmware.

If you haven't tried this, I'd recommend writing down all your settings from 3.14 (or saved to a file), then completely reset the CA's settings to defaults after flashing to 3.15, and then put your settings back in, either from a new 3.15 file, not based on your 3.14 version, or manually in the built in menus. Sometimes this fixes problems across fw versions (not just in the CA, but in various devices I've used over the decades).

I've seen Speedo issues reported with 3.2, can't remember if I've read of any with 3.15. So far reversion has been the only fix I remember working for sure.

If all of the speedo settings are correct, but it doesn't work in 3.15 but does work in 3.14, then it isn't hardware, just firmware.

If you haven't tried this, I'd recommend writing down all your settings from 3.14 (or saved to a file), then completely reset the CA's settings to defaults after flashing to 3.15, and then put your settings back in, either from a new 3.15 file, not based on your 3.14 version, or manually in the built in menus. Sometimes this fixes problems across fw versions (not just in the CA, but in various devices I've used over the decades).
Good suggestion. Yes, I'll try resetting to defaults when upgrading and manually reenter parameters.

Thank you!

I had the opportunity to try the suggestions (resetting to defaults) and verified it is definitely an issue with CA3 firmware v3.15 and beta firmware v3.2. Reversion back v3.14 again and speedometer function works fine.

@amberwolf appreciate any recommendations. My hub motor is a generic 9C (ebikeling) that has been working flawlessly on previous CA3 firmware versions for years. Is this something that can be submitted/resolved?

Thank you

Last edited:
Unfortunately if it doesn't work in the later firmware but does in the previous, it's probably a bug in the firmware and nothing we can do to change that. So any functions of the CA that rely on speed or distance won't work, including things like wh/mile, etc.

In that event, using the previous version of the firmware is the only fix for that until Grin fixes the bug and issues a new version. :(

Is this something that can be submitted/resolved?
Grin is the only place that can tell you that, since they are the place that designed the CA and writes the firmware for it.

Unfortunately if it doesn't work in the later firmware but does in the previous, it's probably a bug in the firmware and nothing we can do to change that. So any functions of the CA that rely on speed or distance won't work, including things like wh/mile, etc.

In that event, using the previous version of the firmware is the only fix for that until Grin fixes the bug and issues a new version. :(

Grin is the only place that can tell you that, since they are the place that designed the CA and writes the firmware for it.
Thank you for the confirmation. I'll send this to Grin and see what they think.

To close the loop on this. It looks like it is a rare issue with a very limited run of the CA3 hardware. Grateful for a warranty replacement. Sending the old unit back to Grin for analysis.

I decided to upgrade my controller to a Phaserunner since I'm rewiring anyway. So, now I have this question - posted in this thread:

Interesting. I wonder what the hardware problem is? I'm having a hard time imagining what could cause the speed to work with one firmware version but not another that isn't just a firmware problem....

Interesting. I wonder what the hardware problem is? I'm having a hard time imagining what could cause the speed to work with one firmware version but not another that isn't just a firmware problem....
I used to be in the semiconductor industry. Not every chip is perfect and exactly to spec. (However, this is very rare.) This can cause various anomalies like this...

Back