California: AB-1096 to classify an "electric bicycle"

Thanks for the link to the full text of the new law. I'd been seeing the edited version in lots of articles.

Well darn, they did keep the stupid 750w limit. I wanted that gone, since it's easy to make a bike that has 1500-2000w, yet still does not exceed 28 mph, or be dangerous to ride in any way. I wanted more power not for hooligan riding, but for cargo bikes, rickshaws, etc.

Oh well, in a week somebody here will be selling the now needed 750w sticker. :twisted:

And personally, I find the difference between class 1 and class 2 just plain stupid. 750w, has pedals, 20 mph top speed, does it really matter if the motor is throttle or pedelec? Hell no! I just hope local laws don't get just as stupid, and allow class one while banning class two.

Fight that on your local level of course. In my town in New Mexico, it's all illegal on the bike trails yet no cop gives a shit. That works fine for me here, since I'm still one of about 6 e bikes in a town of 100,000. But I do like to ride a bike with big panniers hiding the motor just in case. :roll:

This law passed! So what does it mean? Simple, electric bicycles are no longer classed as motorized bicycles, but are classed as bicycles. Unless specifically prohibited by local law, they are allowed on bicycle paths and trails now (at least the Class 1 and 2, not sure about class 3). Forward progress, though small.

It seems the makers of electric bikes pushed for this law, against light opposition from some trail bike riders, I assume. Now I hope things go smoothly, with ebike riders on trails showing courtesy and respect to other users of the trails, so we have a positive image and people accept the change.

I do love ebiking in nature, but ebiking could have such a dramatic effect on routine daily commuting in crowded cities. I've seen few ebikers so far here in Silicon Valley, yet most cars have only one occupant, such a waste. Commuters could benefit from the exercise and cost savings of ebiking to their destination. The area is mostly flat, there are many bike lanes, and weather is dry, so it's really easy.

I think it will come, but slowly. It's a huge market, potentially. I was surprised recently to see my neighborhood auto parts store, Winchester Auto Parts, selling the Currie line of ebikes. They actually had 4 assembled bikes on display on top of the parts racks, from basic to trail to cargo. They said they sell "quite a few", though nothing specific. The local Performance bikes claims to distribute them too. Target has them too, the Jetson line. It seems that a slow build up in sales is happening.

I hope that regulations don't get in the way of this transition to more ebiking, especially for commuting. I hope that in the future the power limit is increased or dropped, in favor of a speed limit only. It's nice to have reserve power for hills and headwinds, and the 750w (1HP) is somewhat arbitrary. A speed limit only makes much more sense. But this new law is a good change, and I do hope it increases the popularity of ebiking.

As of October there were new laws passed regarding E-Bikes. Not that most of us follow these laws anyways, but we should be aware in-case we are stopped so we know our rights.

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/new-e-bike-law-passes-in-california

Cfv4ggK.jpg

From my understanding you no longer are required to register for an $18 fee and your e-bike can have a maximum speed of 28 mph instead of 20 mph now. (for a type-3 e-bike)

Type-1(20 mph) and Type-3(28 mph) e-bikes have almost the same restrictions except that type-3 are not allowed on Class 1 bike paths. Does anyone know where to find information on bike path classifications? The Northern Sacramento Bike Trail goes pretty much from my front door to downtown sacramento, so it's really great, just wondering if I'm allowed to ride my Type-3 e-bike on it.

Existing discussion thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68828&hilit=california

and not ebikes, but related
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=73383&hilit=law

Copy of the actual law here.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1096

Heavily lobbied by the ready to ride e bike industry, which loves pedelec. Their strategy is to break into the lycra market, which hates throttles.

So class one and three cannot have any throttle. Not even pedelec with additional throttle. Weird. But it's going to lead to local laws that prohibit throttles from trails, both the single track dirt trails, and the local multi use trails.

Throttles will be banned to the street, but limited to 20 mph, THAT SUCKS.

But, it's still an improvement. No need to get a plate to ride 28 mph in CA now. We can easily hide our WOT pushbutton. :twisted:

I wonder what, if anything’s changed/affected for standup scooter folks?
IMG_0190.JPG
Damn, I can’t even find power/speed limitations other than ‘can’t travel roads with posted speeds above 25MPH without a bicycle lane…

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/scooters

I guess the operator’s license requirement is a huge difference?

So class one and three cannot have any throttle. Not even pedelec with additional throttle. Weird. But it's going to lead to local laws that prohibit throttles from trails, both the single track dirt trails, and the local multi use trails.

At the Interbike test rides, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed have the combination of PAS and hand-throttle. Too bad nobody will be able to design a stealth bluetooth throttle to add to a PAS ebike...oh wait

spinningmagnets said:

At the Interbike test rides, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed have the combination of PAS and hand-throttle. Too bad nobody will be able to design a stealth bluetooth throttle to add to a PAS ebike...oh wait

Shimano and SRAM have wireless communication already from shift levers to derailleurs. Who would notice a stealthy thumb throttle that was wireless? Make it appear to operate a mechanical bell and few could tell.

dogman dan said:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1096

Heavily lobbied by the ready to ride e bike industry, which loves pedelec. Their strategy is to break into the lycra market, which hates throttles.

But, it's still an improvement. No need to get a plate to ride 28 mph in CA now. We can easily hide our WOT pushbutton. :twisted:
Oh. The articles I read didn't explain it properly :(

Oh well, back to just hoping a cop wont stop me as long as I'm not doing anything stupid/dangerous and looking mostly like a normal bike.

dogman dan said:

Let's not make it look worse than it is.

Throttles are not banned on Class 1 or Class 3 e-bikes, but if present they may function only while the rider is pedaling.

Some how I missed that point. Sounds easy to work around for ES types. Hall sensor on the wheel instead of the crank for example. In any case, the sick, aged, and handicapped can still ride a class 2. For a great many people, an e bike is all about riding as far as they can, then motor it home.

Still, this legal focus on whether you pedal or not seems weird, but I guess the aim is to isolate this kind of ebike, legally. Without making a cargo bike illegal by weight.

Commiefornia has too many laws. One thing no one seemed to mention is that class three may require insurance, and must wear a helmet. Also I guarantee that registration will follow-despite the wording of the law. This place is financially bankrupt and morally as well. The cops will say it's necessary and they need a registry to track stolen bikes. The DMV will pounce at the chance create taxes. It has been fun while it lasted. The labeling won't start for another year (2017). You are not permitted to ever reach your full potential in the USA,especially Commiefornia and if you do, they will hamstring you down with taxes, regulation, and calling you racist- just to knock you down and make you equal. Cause mostly white people ride e-bikes and they do it just make minorities feel inferior.

dogman dan said:
Some how I missed that point. Sounds easy to work around for ES types. Hall sensor on the wheel instead of the crank for example. In any case, the sick, aged, and handicapped can still ride a class 2. For a great many people, an e bike is all about riding as far as they can, then motor it home.

Still, this legal focus on whether you pedal or not seems weird, but I guess the aim is to isolate this kind of ebike, legally. Without making a cargo bike illegal by weight.

I can see wanting to ban the 'heavy electric scooters' from bike facilities. I just miss the way I was able to use my electric scooter in China. I realize that traffic speeds in the states are too high for them though.

One thing I am not entirely clear on, is what ia a 'type IV' bike way? I researched it on a CalDOT publication and I found Type I, separated bike paths, Type II, bike lanes painted on a normal street, and Type II as a bike route; but I was unable to find Type IV.

As far as a throttle; several years ago my daughter git hit by a hit and run driver. The throttle on her e-bike allowed her to get home, where she would not have been able to have gotten home on a without a separate throttle.

mrbill,

What about these ? : http://www.currietech.com/bicycle-online/scooter-ezip-e-500-2014/

it is not a class 1,2, or 3 bicycle,
and
it is not a Moped

So what about these scooters sit down and/or stand up

on Bike Paths ?
I am sure you know of the hundreds of bike paths around the bay area. seems like a ranger could be confused, or just an A-Hole and harass someone on one of these ?
( many of the bike paths cross through some kind of city/state/county / or federal land.)

mrbill said:
Let's not make it look worse than it is.

Throttles are not banned on Class 1 or Class 3 e-bikes, but if present they may function only while the rider is pedaling.

ScooterMan101 said:
mrbill,

What about these ? : http://www.currietech.com/bicycle-online/scooter-ezip-e-500-2014/

and
it is not a Moped

on Bike Paths ?
I am sure you know of the hundreds of bike paths around the bay area. seems like a ranger could be confused, or just an A-Hole and harass someone on one of these ?
( many of the bike paths cross through some kind of city/state/county / or federal land.)

Those are motorized scooters and are not addressed by AB-1096.

The relevant sections of California Vehicle Code that discuss operation of motorized scooters are 21229, 21230, and 21235.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c1/a5/21229
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c1/a5/21230
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c1/a5/21235

How ever you look at it this is good news just ride and pedal along with the other bikes its good to see Calf going in the right dir unlike NYC which just banned E bikes .

rider95 said:
How ever you look at it this is good news just ride and pedal along with the other bikes its good to see Calf going in the right dir unlike NYC which just banned E bikes .

Do you have a link please?

It's presumed that the CA law was a precursor to allowing Class 1 ebikes on trails that currently prohibit "motorized" vehicles. Doesn't really matter since AARP or the ADA may effect the change eventually anyway.

Thank You mrbill,

Those three V.C. 's cover most all of it .

Although I do not quite consider it a motorized scooter , what comes to mind when I read the words " Motorized Scooter " are the ones that are more like a vespa scooter, only electric instead of gas.
that is what most people think of when you say a scooter.
I am sure many L.E.O.'s would be wondering themselves.

mrbill said:
ScooterMan101 said:
mrbill,

and
it is not a Moped

on Bike Paths ?

Those are motorized scooters and are not addressed by AB-1096.

The relevant sections of California Vehicle Code that discuss operation of motorized scooters are 21229, 21230, and 21235.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c1/a5/21229
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c1/a5/21230
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c1/a5/21235

Yes. Part of the intent of the lobby for that law was to try to make a class of e bike, that is class one, that would not make the mountain biking organizations puke. They are lycras, and think like lycras. Throttle equals motorcycle, ruining the trails. It's like getting into a virgin, " it won't hurt your trails if we don't have a throttle". Or whatever gets the tip in. So they create class one to get the tip in. In my area at least, more than half of the riders have grey hair. E bikes are coming to the trail no matter what the sign says. It's a matter of another decade on those guys. They look at me riding, and go hmm, and ask questions. Once they get sick like I did, they'll buy an e bike.

My own experience with single track trails I built is that 1000w or less with hub motors does not harm the trails. But 2000 or 3000w bikes do cut them up like a motorcycle does. Bottom line, if your tire throws rocks, it's wrecking the trail. I built about 10 miles of trail on vacant land near my house, just so I could tear them up with 3000w bikes. That land was slated for bulldozers and houses soon when I started the trails. Then 2008 happened, and it looks like I'll have my private trails for life.

I ride all the Mt bike trails in the ST parks from Mich to Fl I spend a lot of time talking to local riders and clubs and I ride with a handicap placard a lot of times , the Mt biker,s are pretty cool with me riding a e bike even encouraging but the same thing I keep hearing from the clubs is that the clubs are a whole lot more comfortable calling e bikes pedal assist. The local Mt clubs do not want any thing on the trail that can throw a roost that seems to be ther biggest concerns with E bikes that they have .

Back