Can I Save these Windings?

bchaney

100 W
So I was trying to make some new hall sensor pockets in my old MAC motor and I got way too aggressive and damaged a winding or 2. Yes, I know I'm an idiot. Not only did I reduce the cross-section of the winding but I'm pretty sure they're now shorted to the stator. I can think of 2 options, but I'm not sure if either is acceptable:

1 - Cut out the damaged sections and solder a short jumper wire in.

2 - Try to unwind the winding on the tooth with the damage, repair the damaged section (either solder some more copper on or cut out the damage and solder together), and rewind tooth.

Option 1 is probably easier because I'm not sure I can easily unwind and rewind 1 tooth, but do you guys think this will work?

IMG_20170428_061339.jpg

It's worth a try.

Note that the "pocket" has also shorted the laminations together, which will have an effect on the motor (but I forget what that is right now).

So I ended up cutting the bad sections out and soldering the windings back together after cleaning off some of the laquer. I also replaced the hall sensors (thanks to Teslanv!) and did a quick test while it was still disassembled and it seemed to work fine. I put it all back together only to find that all 3 phases are somehow shorted to the stator/axle. I will remove the axle tonite to check if it's a problem within the axle or in the windings themselves. I don't see any more damage to the windings, I thought I cut out the only damaged parts.

Back