Cars Cutting Me Off: Do Horns Help?

Chalo said:
I think a horn is only worth having if it sounds like a motor vehicle horn. The offender's instantaneous reaction should be, "oh crap", not "what is that?"
Which is why that's what is on CrazyBike2--a pair from a 1985 Ford LTD. :) (if I had another pair I'd put them on the SB Cruiser trike...since I don't, I am probably going to move them over to the trike since I use that almost exclusively these days, as it has no horn of any kind yet).

But realistically, they've only seen use in an extremely few situations, mostly where it wasn't possible for me to avoid them, despite planning ahead when seeing them, or them not being there to be seen until the very last instant.

Even then, I didn't count on the horn to deter them, just hoped it might delay them long enough for me to get past the danger point--which it did, thankfully.

But if it had been an unfamiliar sound, not a car-type horn, they probably would not have slowed/stopped first and *then* looked around, they would have looked to see if something was going to affect them and then reacted to wahtever they saw (or failed ot react to what they didn't see), and that would have been a delay that would've probably caused a collision, or at the least a scrape.

Embarassingly, I've also used it in frustration once that I can remember, when someone stopped in a no-stopping zone to let people out of their car, in the middle of a "rush hour", nearly sandwiching me between them and the car behind me who could barely stop in time...as I slid around them partway into the next lane that *just* had a gap in traffic for that moment (or else I would probably have ended up underneath them, or hit along the side by traffic in the left lane that didn't have to slam to a stop). This has happened to me at least twice in that particular section of road, in the last few years, in front of what is now Castles'n'Coasters on Metro Parkway.

The horn didn't do anything except let them know they were almost hit by someone...and the string of other cars behind them honking at them too let htem know they were stupid, but they still didn't get started up again before I was out of sight of them down the road. I wonder if they were attacked by any of the cagers stuck behind them?

never been cutoff on this thinglite trike.jpg

macribs said:
Decided on and installed a horn. Here's my setup: https://youtu.be/when3v7NVFk Do you think I overdid it? :)
More like this: https://youtu.be/zC4G9s7GO4o?t=68

HaHa! You guyz are TOO funny! :lol: ("But Officer? I didn't hear him coming. Honest!")

I agree that smart, defensive, and intuitive riding make a large difference on safety. But I can't go along with a horn has no safety value. On many occasion I ride past cars parked head in. I'm on the lookout for backup lights. If the brakes are on also I'm OK. But no brake lights gets a horn blast and every time the brake lights shine. That matters to me. Also I ride through a curved foot path under train tracks. As I enter in I toot the horn to let potential walkers know I'm coming. That is if my stereo in not on.

To me a bell means "bicycle", and seems more appropriate for paths where pedestrians are present, eliciting a cheerful reaction all around. :D But for the street, a car or truck horn is needed for proper respect. Would three 12 volt car horns wired in series equal 36 volts?
Cadillacs had a beautiful-sounding three note horn, which let you know that you were about to be pleasantly run over by a luxury car.
I tried one of those $10 boat horns once, but no one expects a boat in the middle of an intersection, and the cheap plastic construction wasn't strong enough to withstand pressing the button when mounted to the handlebars. :x

Horns are not a fix for the being cut off problem, as you cant avoid it if it already happened, and you cant ride around honking all the time precautiously either. The more logical approach to the invisible problem is to increase your visibility and plan your driving with the lack of visibility in mind. Strong lights can make car drivers to interpret you as a motorcycle rather than a bike. Not without downsides tho. My best advice that saved me a few times. Account for that they dont see you.

tiny_n_terrible said:
Most drivers here are elderly.
They look at you and then pull right in front of you.

When I rode an ice powered motorized bicycle I used a 35 watt driving light powered by a discarded Wallmart electric bicycle lead acid battery 12 volt 20 amp hour.
With an un-muffled 48 cc two stroke They can hear you coming a block away. All the Harley Davidson motorcycle riders use open pipes for survival.
I am now using two 20 watt led driving lights, and two 105 db horns powered off the 60 volt pack.
The electric car owners complain also. Not enough noise . The little old ladies pull in front of them too.

Ride before or after rush hour.
For me the safest time to ride is after 9:00 to 11:00 Too hot in the afternoon summer. Or in the summer when the Snowbirds are gone.
All the locals shop at night. The drunks get up at noon.

Florida?

Dan

I believe in lights. I have a grin flashing, or solid rear red light. I have a stella 500 in front. I set it on strobe during the day. it has low med and high, strobe and off. Also I have a colorful flag on a 6' mast. A big difference on a trike. I have mirrors left and right. And a motorcycle stereo that I enjoy and alerts pedestrians. Without the stereo walkers are surprised and startled. And a horn.

My answer to cars and trucks is to never be a slow moving object for them to need to see and/or avoid. The level of safety I achieve using a combination of performance, focus, and riding approach makes me feel absolutely safe on the road. The onus is on me to ride mistake free. If I ever got in a crash I'd consider it my fault regardless of who is at fault legally. I've been avoiding the mistakes of idiot drivers for decades while operating all kinds of vehicles, and the small size and agility of my ebikes makes it far easier to avoid them, so while risk in the event of an accident is very high, the risk of an accident is low enough for high overall safety.

Horns are primarily a way to notify people they are making or made a mistake. Making yourself more visible with lighting, colors, etc is sure to help to some extent, but don't overlook lane position and lateral movement to be noticed. The side of the road is the worst place in terms of visibility, and to me riding slow at the side, trusting every passing driver to avoid you, is absolutely insane.

John in CR said:
The side of the road is the worst place in terms of visibility, and to me riding slow at the side, trusting every passing driver to avoid you, is absolutely insane.

And yet in spite of your judgment, bicycles are proven radically safer than motorcycles, per mile and per hour of travel. Yet you insist that the motorcycle is more sane than the bicycle. Shall we question the data, or your judgment?

The basic issue is that humans constitute faulty guidance systems. Add enough kinetic energy and people die. Add more, and more people die. Speed kills, as the saying goes.

I did some stat work a while back, and we looked at bike vs motorcycle vs A2 vs moped.
What made the biggest safety aspect was the speed. Bikes are safer then Mopeds which are safer then A2's which are safer then motorcycles. Speed is what sets them apart.

I was surprised to learn that 80-100 cc had twice the risk over mopeds (45km/h). The sole reason was speed.

Then where will high powered e-bikes be? If they go as fast as the 80-100 cc's but e-bikes have no noise and less visual area. Other vehicles will look at the bike crank and doom you a cyclist - when i reality your are moving like a motorcycle/80-100 cc.

If you do decide to add a bell to go along with your horn, be sure to read this first. :roll:
http://overlawyered.com/2016/02/label-on-a-bicycle-bell/
Take three steps back from the bell, avoiding any sudden movements
From Bill Childs on Twitter:
“WARNING: Cycling can be dangerous. Bicycle products should be installed and serviced by a professional mechanic. Never modify your bicycle or accessories. Read and follow all product instructions and warnings including information on the manufacturer’s website. Inspect your bicycle before every ride. Always wear a helmet and use lights at night. Failure to heed any of these warnings may result in serious injury or death.”
Which, as Bill says, seems a bit much for a warning on a bicycle bell.

The fingers said:
“Bicycle products should be installed and serviced by a professional mechanic. Never modify your bicycle or accessories.”
I must be in SERIOUS trouble. :lol:

Ring ring a bike bell works best for people. Cars you are the best defense. Keep your head up a feel the cars and space around you. My little ninja warrior's

There are a lot of walkers on many of the paths I ride along the beach. The good thing about a bell is that people recognize the sound and immediately know a bike is coming up behind them. I use it as a courtesy so as not to startle people. That sound communicates a set of information, but a bell is useless for anything else.

The AirsoundZ Air horn definitely helps.

It is so loud and startling. I've had drivers in front who were going to pull out stop in there tracks.

I also use a Strobe light and a Rear Helmet light during the day.
Be seen.!

tomzgreat said:

It is so loud and startling. I've had drivers in front who were going to pull out stop in there tracks.

Be seen.!

How many blasts is the Airzound 2 good for without pumping up? That's my only concern.

I had an airzound before motorizing. I liked it. But since motorizing, I have a large battery so I added a 12v converter and bus bar and fire up lights, horn and stereo. The issue with the airzound is you end up out there and it is low on air. Because I do not depend on aa and aaa batteries an electric horn requires nothing but pressing the button...Always ready to toot.

eSurfer said:
tomzgreat said:

Be seen.!

How many blasts is the Airzound 2 good for without pumping up? That's my only concern.

Listen how many times do you really need to use a horn. The airsound Z is so loud that a quick 1 second blast
is enough. You don't have to hold it down for 5 seconds. Something about the sound is so piercing that it scares
the drivers.

Also it doesn't just fizz out all at once. It gradually becomes lower in sound. I generally have a two day notice to
inflate it.

I'd say that I have to pump it up every 3-7 days don't really keep track.

You will chuckle when you see the guy pulling out in front of you slowly, you then give a quick blast and they stomp on the brakes.

Read the reviews at Amazon, it's unanimous the Airsound Z does work.

Combine it with some forward facing strobes and a bright strobing rear helmet light and you see an Auto attitude adjustment on the road.

Tomz, It looks like you will need aa and aaa batteries for the lights. More maintenance and expense. You already have the power on board to power your lights and a horn. If I had a non electric ride I would have an airzound. But with power no need to repump and replace batteries. Set it and forget it! Get a 12v converter!

ebent said:
Tomz, It looks like you will need aa and aaa batteries for the lights. More maintenance and expense. You already have the power on board to power your lights and a horn. If I had a non electric ride I would have an airzound. But with power no need to repump and replace batteries. Set it and forget it! Get a 12v converter!
Could you guys fill me in on the 12V converter process? Where to buy? How to rig? What kind of horn should I get? Thanks.

Back