Ch80 10,000 mile report

23skidoo

10 W
This build is being mothballed. The donor scooter had 10,000 miles and it now has over 20,000 miles total.

Warning: video gets boring after the ride starts
[youtube]https://youtu.be/qYZKJrVoClc[/youtube]

It was very reliable.

It ran on RC lipos and is being retired at the end of the second battery pack life. The batteries were balance charged and cycled between 3.7 and 3.95 volts for the most part. My commute was 4.2 miles to and from work. I wont replace the pack now because my commute is coming to an end.

what worked well:
Honda donor vehicle, though ultimately the front brake was marginal
Crystalyte 5404 ran well, needing bearings to be shimmed at 7k miles (wrapped around to tighten in the side plate).
The big Lyen controller never hiccupped. It took time to learn to use the speed-based throttle as the power was increased in the first year.
Swing arm welded with 4130 and the rough fender (hidden by the side covers)
The backpack battery included 18s of the 30S. This prevented theft, kept the scooter light and improved handling, and eased charging. The 10 gauge silicon wire handled the occasional 100 amps fine.
The lack of instruments. With balance charging, and knowing what to expect for your planned trip, theres no need to monitor on the road.

Charging in the fireplace. Never had a problem, but never worried.
It was running 30S at 100 amps, and had plenty of giddyup, so was satsifying for 10,000 miles.
Not charging fully so the battery lasted better and the regen worked from the start, so little brake wear occurred.
The price was great with about $1200 for the motor, controller, and other conversion stuff, less battery and donor vehicle.
It was comfortable parking on the street unlike my ebike.
It was nice to have liability insurance unlike my ebike.

What didnt work so well:
The cable rear disc brake off a Honda Odyssey was replaced with a cheap chinese atv brake with extension tube which worked well.
The suspension was improved with similarly sourced struts, but it was still not tuned well.
Large Anderson connectors proved necessary for reliability.
The 10 inch tires wore through fairly quickly and didnt really have the grab for confident motoring, in part related to suspension.
One night coming home in the pouring rain the thumb throttle stuck on. The backpack battery cord was a fine emergency disconnect, but 10kW on sketchy gear is different than on most ebikes.
The top speed was about 38mph on level ground.
The CA DMV was never able to send renewal notices after it was brought to them to document the conversion despite years of phone calls and letters.

I think that successful builders may disappear from the forum because they just keep riding.

Back