• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Charger/Regen/Regulator all in one

tomv

100 W
Guys,

I've been thinking about something for e-bikes that Tesla/AC Propulsion cars have. Wouldn't it be nice to have a device that:
- Steps up/regulates battery voltage. Your pack could live at 41-25V and regulator would boost it to constant 72V
- Regenerates bracking energy and recycles it back to the capacitors/battery
- Works as a charger and accepts home 120v/240v AC current
- Buffers battery load so that battery is discharge using average power not seeing power peaks on acceleration/etc

It seems to me all of this can be done with buck boost regulator and some switches/rectifiers. That's in theory :) Regulator would have to be able to accept 0V-240V voltage and output voltage required by motor/battery charging. Circuit invitingly simple:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck-boost_converter

All you need is then FETs for switching, inductor and capacitor. Capacitor would be ultracap if energy buffering is needed. All switching would be then controlled by microcontroller. I have all the parts except inductor. digikey doesn't seem to have anything that would handle 40Amps that would be needed. I'm thinking to gut big transformer from say 240V-120V voltage converter and rewind it. Would this work? Would efficiency be horrible?

Bellow is a general schematic of the idea:

Attachments

• regulator.png
    9 KB · Views: 415
Yikes! no it's not that easy. Perhaps at very low power levels it would be practical.

You don't want to boost the battery voltage before the controller, that would suck for efficiency. You also want to stay isolated between the AC line and your vehicle system for safety. This means a switching power supply with a transformer.

Back