Charging today - Grin Satiator "volts too high" message??

raylo32

100 kW
I was charging my EM3EV Samsung Q cell 52V super shark for a ride this morning... normal charge, to 58.8V at 4 amps... and sometime after it went into tapering mode at 58.8v and 1.5-2 amps it stopped charging and said "volts too high". I took it off the charger and put it on the bike and it was reading 56.2V. Anyway, I went for my ride and had plenty of juice for what I had planned. Finished up reading 50.5V on the bike display. Anyone else seen this issue or have any advice? Is this possibly a BMS issue? Or maybe an unbalanced cell?? I guess I'll try a charge to 85% first and see how it handles that.

I just read the Satiator manual and it said that this can happen when you get an imbalanced cell. The BMS can stop the charge, whilst allowing the cell to bleed down and balance, after which the charge will resume. Hope that's it.

I forget which error I got, but years ago I used the Satiator 48v version with a Luna mini-type pack that had some wierd BMS behavior and got that. The BMS would also "lock up" trying to balance and I'd have to drain some of it (thru the charge port because the discharge port was still turned off too) to get it to restart.

Back