Compilation of RC-like motor builds + KNOWN ISSUES

swbluto

10 TW
Since Outrunners and other similar RC-related motors are a fairly recent adaptation to EV use, I thought it might be nice to have a compilation with links to detailed builds from users who've used one so that potentially interested users can see the details on actual builds in an easily findable manner(and understand whatever complications might arise beforehand and the process involved). In this, I'll be adding links to Endless-Sphere builds, endless-sphere related builds, and builds off the site. Be sure to list any that you know of! For now, I'll be organizing the builds by motor type, and then sorted by rated output power. Also, at the end of each motor subcategory, I'm listing known issues which will be linked to and possibly cited.

Outrunners -

Plettenberg motors -
The original grand-daddy of RC motors in EV use on Endess Sphere -Matt Schumaker's recumbent, who also goes by the user name recumpence.

Known Issues: None known as of yet.

AXI motors

AXI Gold 5345-14mm ~4 kW
A regular build using a dual suspension bicycle - http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5808

Known Issues: None known as of yet.

HXT, Turnigy and similar motors -

HXT 80-100-B 130Kv 6kW on a moped.
http://visforvoltage.org/blog/nasukaren This is nasukaren's adapting of the 6kW motor on the Piaggio moped. it seems to be a motor popular with EV conversions on hobbycity's website judging by the motor page's comments.

Unknown 6kW motor similar in style to the HXT used on a small, folding, hard-wheeled Razor-esque electric scooter - Teamtestbot's build.

Turnigy 6364 230Kv, 36v 3kW motor on page 2, upgraded to a 6kW HXT 80-100 130 Kv(Turnigy sticker on the motor) motor on page 6: Bubba's Experiment on a trailer-pushed trike bike -
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5317

HXT-like 3kW 200Kv motor used on scottclarke's dual suspension bike at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5168&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

HXT 63-74 200kv 3kW motor (AKA, Turnigy Aerodrive xp C6374-200 according to the sticker that came attached)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7638 - Here's my small, light electric scooter upgrade that's currently a work in progress.

Known Issues:

- By CNCaddict, with his electric scooter, at High power RC motor and drive unit production
The HXT had some severe vibrations and eventually the magnets started to wiggle out of place. I had probably 300miles on the HXT when it actually started to fail. It also lost sync fairly easy during hard acceleration so I had to be gentle on the throttle.

- By dontsendbubbamail, with his push-trailer bike with both the HXT 130Kv 6kW and HXT 230Kv 3kW, issues with junk bearings.

-Scanning hobbycity's page on the HXT 63-74 200kv, these issues have been brought up:

Tested in a landvehicle with following specifications:
lipo: 6s3p (2200mAh)
govenor: 100a turnigy plush

feeling was great for about two weeks with maximum burst (no idea about maximum current or resistance of the motor, so I didn't care about it). One day I cruised uphill with my "rocket" (max over 50mph!), but after 10 minutes, just before the lipos have to get empty, the varnish melt.
> No problem to missuse this powerful motor, but you have to pay attention to a coolingsystem and fix the rotor, which is divided in 2 parts with tape or glue in the thread (connection between the silver part and the orange part).
If the motor is hot, DON'T BRAKE, or your govenor is also dead (tested downhill with another 63-74 the week before). Now, after I've melt down 2 Motors and one governor which look like carbon, I decided to buy a bigger one - the biggest on HC. Thanks for the stuff which let crazy dreams come true. I think for normal use in planes this motor is undestroyable.

And

Notification. I've been using my motor for quite a while now. Performs ok for 6 kg Funtana for F3A and 20x11 prop. Only needs 3500mAh for the program. Notice: the alu prop adapter does not align when you only use the mounting bolts as centering provision. I overlooked this myself. Unbalance in motion. Two times bearings damage as a result. Last time also loose magnet. I adapted the shaft (moved in axial direction) since it has tighter adapter fitting. Unbalance has gone. HXT should adapt this, or you should do this yourself.s
rgds, Erik V

On the HXT 80-100-A 180Kv Brushless Outrunner, there have been these issues:

Purchased two of these motors. Good performance for 5-10 short gentle flights (no 3D or aggressive aeros) but then motor seized due to bearing issue. Tried second motor and it got very hot and was tight after cooled down.

ATTENTION !!!!!
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN THIS MOTOR UNLESS YOU INSTALL A SET SCRE IN THE OUTER CASING THAT ATTACHES TO THE MAIN BELL HOUSING. IF YOU DON'T THE OUTER CASING WILL LOOSEN AND CAUSE THE MOTOR TO LOCK AGAINST THE REAR STATIONARY HOUSING. I FOUND THIS OUT THE HARD WAY. AFTER LOCKTIGHTING THE THREADS AND PLACING A SET SCREW IN THE HOUSING IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. I NOW HAVE 200 + FLIGHTS ON THE MOTOR.

On the HXT 80-85-B 170Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-40), there have been these issues:

After half dozen flights and such fun and pleasure I ordered more battery's, motor seized up. Luckily I had enough altitude to bring in and land safely $1,000.00 plane. Took motor off and found outrunner/magnet rotor had slipped backward and locked up against stationary/field winding portion of motor. Took motor apart and realigned, tightned up and used threadlock on everything, reassembled plane. Returned to flying field the next day, after ground testing took off. Got up in the air made one pass and motor locked up again. This time plane did not make it back to field and landed in deep grass sustaining considerable damage. Cause,,,same issue, motor pulls back and seizes up against frame. It would appear as if a "Thrust washer would be necessary to maintain a gap between two halves of motor assembly. It is likely this motors said spacer is was not installed. I will have to call UH now and see about a resolution for motor. As for the damage to the plane? Well,,, I am not a happy camper right now!!

On the HXT 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner, there have been these issues:

Heavy, big and fancy a well made motor with plenty of power but mine was defective as far as I am concerned. Tested the motor under no load conditions (25V-30V and 6 Amps) and guess what: the outter shell moved a few mm forward and seized the motor. Is it fixable? I have no idea. I have contacted hobbycity and also left a message on the forum. If anyone knows about these problems let me know! Now that is thata $140 waste!???

The 6kW 130Kv, 180Kv and 170Kv are the exact same motor save the winding count. So you can probably safely assume that each could experience similar problems.

Inrunners -

?

Hey, great idea!

I stumbled across that outrunner-powered scooter before but lost the link. After reading through the build I found out he's from Atlanta too! I'm going to try to get in touch with him.
I hope if.. er.. when I finish my bike I'll get to be added to this list too. :mrgreen:

I'm also adding known issues to the list. This might be helpful for people in choosing a motor before potentially wasting money. Be sure to comment on any issues known about your RC-like motor and I'll add it to the list!

I've got a Scorpion 4025-16 (332Kv w/ max continuous of 75A/2000W). The main allure was the understanding that Scorpion motors are apparently the ONLY brand which uses N50 NdFeB magnets (200C/392F temperature rating)…meaning they have a far higher heat tolerance than most other outrunner motors on the market.

My build page: http://gregg.berkholtz.net/wiki/doku.php?id=recchetta#parts_list

I have a NeuMotor 2215-3Y "inrunner" type motor that has a huge (for RC...) P62 planetary gearbox, with a 6.75:1 reduction. I plan to use this with one of Matt's eDrive units, with a further 2.5:1 chain drive reduction, to drive a front IPS crankset. Here's what the motor/GB looks like:

NM2215-3Y-GB-01.jpg

The motor specs are listed here: http://www.neumotors.com/2008/Root/Site/2200_series__.html. The kV of this version is 480 and it is good for up to 60,000 rpm. At the 50V I will run it at, it will max out at about 21,000 rpm. The GB will get this down to about 3100, or about the same as what a 1000/1500W Cyclone motor will do on the same voltage.

I plan to use this to re-power my Townie 21, which currently has a 72V/80A/5304-based setup. I will start a build thread for this, when I get the motor/GB back from Matt, who will marry it up with his eDrive.

The second RC-based setup I'm working on will use a Hacker A60-18L outrunner (specs here...), which has a kV of 149. My plan is to initially re-use a box unit, shown below, but switch to the same 5mm HTD belt drive to replace the gear setup shown, which couldn't handle the power. Eventually, this box unit will get swapped out with one of Matt's eDrives, but it will serve as a good test platform for the Hacker. This will go on a Dahon 16" folding bike. the build thread is here: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8035

eBike-Hacker-01.jpg

Another motor I'm going to try is a Hyperion Z5045-18. It has virtually identical specs (found here...) to the Hacker, but is quite a bit less expensive. I might also give their 90A/50V TitanESC a try as well, as it is a bit less than the CC HV110.

-- Gary

I was looking at the Turnigy motors and I notice that they now have a more expensive version of a lot of the motors which have been mentioned previously, the SK series (black & silver colour).

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=250

They claim improved efficiency due to thinner laminations and also that they use better Japanese bearings.

Has anyone used any of these motors, e.g 50 series or 63 series?

This is a great thread idea. (exactly what I've been wanting to know)

Is there a thread about "known issues" for the different ESC's out on the market?

That would help too...

Back