Conhismotor controller issue, need advice

fred0

1 mW
The ebike bug did bite me last night, and then left me stranded!

Here is my setup:
  • -front geared 250'ish W motor (chain reaction deal, with rear nexus 8 speed!)
  • -Conhismotor 250W 48V controller with LCD
  • -16S 10Ah headway based pack

Here is what happed:
  • -Checked that motor spun nice and sooth with the throttle
  • -Went for my first spin, only with PAS sensor
  • -Ran up and down the street on the first assist level, was smooth and fast (around 35km/h i'd say, really nice!)
  • -Increased to second level assist, got 2 jerks out of the motor and then nothing!
  • -Pedaled back home, controller was warm (maybe 50*C), LCD shows "ECU" warning light
  • -Unpluged, re-plugged, did all possible checks, probed voltage around in controller, everything seems fine
  • -Went to sleep, tried again this morning, still nothing

See attached pics.

So, anyone has knowledge of those controllers? How can we get fault codes out of it? What should I check first?

Thank you all in advance!

20130609_212159.jpg
20130609_212218.jpg
20130609_212232.jpg

Check the resistances between each phase wire, so like between green and blue, blue and yellow, and green and yellow. Do this on the controller, with the controller and motor disconnected from eachother. This will show a shorted mosfet if there is one. Next step is to get a Lyen tester to check the motor.

Ok, phases are not short, all voltages normal on halls.

What's next?

Anyone knows how to get error codes from those controllers? They seem to have an unpopulated led footprint...

I attach a copy of the controller manual, but it doesn't give fault causes. It only explains the symbols. I think you need to test the Mosfets in the controller. If you do a search, you'll find several explanations on how to do it.

Attachments

• LCD Manual (3).pdf
    141.4 KB · Views: 65
^ That says there is a throttle and controller issue. Likely means the controller is busted, or the throttle shorted, which means controller and throttle need attention. Would get a new controller and throttle to test.

Thank you all for your replies. I tried a con62 controller and it works fine. So motor and halls are good. I guess that nice lcd kit is just crap...

i need to warn people that if you do that test as described with the battery connected, you will blow up the voltmeter.

do not probe the phase wires with the ohmeter while the battery is connected to the controller.

i consider it more complete and accurate to measure the body diodes in the mosfets to see if they are all identical still. for the cheap tests we can do i feel the body diode test is the best way to evaluate the mosfets. some of thes people know more but that is all i have learned about testing them. maybe they wanna comment.

Back