My first build- Sun EZ Racer LWB recumbent - Cell Man & MAC

Taz

10 mW
I just recently completed my first build from the ground up. I accidently was bitten by the ebike bug after I was looking for a LWB recumbent and found one that happened to have a WE 350W kit on it with SLAs. I had no plans of an ebike but I thought I’d give it a go and see what I thought. After taking it for a spin on not fully charged batteries I wasn’t overly impressed but the owner was willing to deal on the bike and had the original front wheel. So I bought the bike and figured I could toss the WE kit and have a very well cared for bike at a great price.

Fast forward a week. I had some time to play with the bike and get the batteries fully charged and a quick tune up. I took it out for a ride and was more impressed. Biggest problem was the range was poor. Make the incredibly poor. I did a little research and realized the batteries were probably not in that good of shape and I’d probably need to buy a new set even though the previous owner hadn’t bought this set not too long ago.

Somehow I stumbled upon the forum hear while searching for info on alternatives. Best thing that could have happened and at the same time the worst thing possible for my wallet at the time. After pouring over forums it seemed like LiPo would be a great option but my limited experience meant maybe not such a good choice for me. I kept seeing info about Cell Man and his A123 packs as well as the Ping packs.

I sent Paul (Cell Man) a few emails and it seemed like he was very knowledgeable and very helpful. After even more emails and very patient answers I knew Paul was my go-to-guy for my first build. Well it wasn’t supposed to be a build but after seeing what options there were I decided to toss the WE kit and get something closer to what would be more useful for me. To put it mildly my enthusiasm got the best of me during my ordering. I ended up going off the deep-end just to make sure I was covered with most everything I thought I would need to overall my recumbent.

Since I wanted to be able to use it without juice, I went with an geared motor so as to have minimal drag when not on power. I knew it might not be quite as fast but I figured the lower drag of a bent might compensate. Not to mention hill climbing and efficiency were supposed to be a bit better. Plus I knew it probably wouldn’t be that fast as I planned on using the front wheel. My experience had already shown me that my bent was already tail-heavy with the current WE kit and putting a motor in the rear would make the front to rear balance even worse. I ended up buying a front 500W MAC, 6T 520 rpm (@ 48V) motors.

I decided to go with one of his 9 fet Infineon, IRFB3077, cruise, CA, 3 speed controllers. I bought several different throttles to try. I figured this would be a good controller for the MAC and the battery I decided to go with; 16S 7P 2-high pack. I figured I’d have some very good range and the weight was going to be less than the 36V pack that was originally the bike when I bought it. I bought a 2 chargers (1 for home and 1 to take with me), a torque arm and a also had him build the motor into a 20” wheel for me. Then I decided to have a 26” MAC geared motor for the rear or to use on another bike if I so desired or that the 20” front didn’t have enough speed for me. I figured I had the pack to get me great range even on motor alone. Of course I ordered another controller and a few other bits to potentially round out a second kit.

Order was done and now just to wait. And wait. And wait. I went with the low cost shipping option. Saved a huge amount of money and arrived in good shape. Probably wasn’t that much longer than the other options. Just seemed that way as I was anxious to try out my new toy. While waiting I was thrown a curve ball. My job changed a bit requiring even more travel. To top it off winter was setting in and snow was around the corner by the time I was able to even think about building the bike so I had to shelve the project.

Meanwhile I was working out of state in a nice sunny location but with a lot of hills. I’d sometimes make use of my Xootr scooter but it wasn’t the ideal form of transport considering the hotel where I was staying. I thought about a bike but not too easy to commute with and the airline had destroyed my Brompton. So I got the bright idea to just buy a bike and have the hotel keep it for when I was gone. Started scanning CL and amazingly enough found the twin to LWB bent at home. Main difference was not in quite as nice of overall shape but a nice windscreen if I could make a few tweaks and get it to mount properly. The owner had left it outside and the only rain in about a month was the night before I came to take a test ride. Soaked seat and all I took it for a spin. Made the owner an offer I thought was fair and after about 5 minutes he accepted it.

I immediately thought about converting this one instead of my one at home since I already had all the parts but just needed to get them to my work location. I didn’t want to ship them so I boxed up everything but the battery and took it as my luggage. I put the big battery pack in my carry-on luggage. There was no way I wanted it going through checked luggage. I wish I could have taken a picture of the TSA screener’s face as my backpack went through the scanner. I thought the guy standing next to him was going to run away as he thought it was a bomb. The TSA screener’s face went white and then when he saw I wasn’t running for cover he relaxed a bit. He asked me what was it. I said a backup battery for computer system. I said I’ve never had an issue with it before. I was able to make it through the TSA checkpoint without the option colonoscopy and body massage and I also avoided the anal cavity searches that normally accompany bringing something like this through the checkpoint. I don’t think it hurt that I should him a pretty well-known federal agency that I work for.

So now I had all the parts to piece it together. My hotel room became my garage. Nothing went as planned. I wanted to keep my original wheel assembly just in case I had an issue. So that required a new tire and tube. After looking all over town I finally found one in the size I needed. Well not exactly but close enough. At least for the tire, another shop had the tube I needed. I rush home to start the build. All is going well until I air up the tire. Bang goes the tube. WTF I think. Pull tire off. Issue is immediately obvious. I didn’t check in my rush to put it to together and there wasn’t an rim band to protect the tube from the spokes. One over-priced $12 tube down the drain and too late to buy another. I email Paul and he said they had a few go out without them.

Fast forward to next day. I find another tube and rush home after work. A few strips of protective tape and it is all set. I start plugging stuff together. No instructions with the parts but hard to muck up the connectors. I get all together as a test fit but nothing mounted on the chassis. I plug in battery and twist the throttle. Zero, zip, nada! Of course no DMM with me and everything is closed. I try a different controller, different ebrake and everything else I can think of. Nothing worked. I send an email to Paul. He suggests a DMM and give him shout the next day as it is almost midnight my time now.

Yet another day slips by. I am beginning to feel like I am doing my own personal imitation of the Keystone cops but for an ebike build. I stop by the nearest store that might have a DMM and pick one up. I get home and check a few voltages from the diagrams Paul has sent me. He comes on line and I walks me through a few things. Figure out the issue (ebrake switch) and decide I can’t use it anyway because of how it has to mount on the handlebars means I can’t get full braking ability with it (lever is too long) but at least I have power to the front wheel.

Now to just mount everything. While at home I had ordered a nice, heavy duty rear rack for the bent. It is really heavy duty but make to clear a disk brake. Turns out to be a good thing/bad thing. Rack is awesome and while it is rated for 55lbs, it looks like it could hold double or triple that. Bad thing is the mounting fasteners won’t work with my bent. I am beginning to think I’ve pissed off the ebike Gods to no end either that or they are really teaching me about delayed gratification. Now it is too late to go to store to buy a drill to ream out the holes on the rack. So I decide to go low-tech and use a screwdriver as a drill. I finally get it done. Then the damn fasteners I had won’t work. Totally a dead stop now.

Yet another day’s worth of sand slips out of the hourglass until I am back on my build. I found a Home Depot store WAY away from my hotel. I spent almost an hour on the Xootr riding back. No damn buses seem to go anywhere I need and the last bus was at like 6:30 pm and wasn’t close to either hotel or Home Depot. I bought a ton of fasteners to make sure I have what I need. Get back to the build and finally have the rack on. It fits great with the rear seat support tubes. I tied it all together to make it more sturdy. Even some nice (but a little dorky looking) panniers go together very nicely.

I finally get the controller mounted up and lash the battery down to the rack. I had no bag for it so some HD bungee cords and some large nylon webbing straps are used to hold it in place. I finally wheel my Frankenbeast looking ride outside of the hotel. It is ready for its maiden voyage but the real question is am I… I am more ready than a high school virgin on prom night! I am not going to let my eagerness though get in the way of mucking something up. I do a pre-flight check. I double check all the fasteners. The torque arm is secure. No wires can get caught in anything. Air pressure looks good. I put my phone in the little holder I bought for it and fire up the GPS. I am finally ready to roll. I think back it was only 6 short months ago when I ordered the parts and I am finally ready to roll.

I put the speed selector on setting 1. Pall said this is 50% power and 2 and 3 are 75% and 100% respectively. My original target was a top speed of about 25 mph and cruise of about 15 mph. Paul thought I’d probably be at about 15 mph on setting 1 so all seemed pretty good. According to the ebikes.ca simulator I should top out at about 28 mph based on the closest I could figure to my motor and payload.

I start of pedaling and dial in the throttle. Whoa buddy, what the heck was that? I had wheelspin. I start thinking that this setup bears no resemblance the WE kit on my other bike. A ton of torque is obvious available. It is a little chilly, about freezing and I apparently didn’t have any gloves with me. I didn’t plan on it being so cold. I decide to ride to Walmart. It is about a 5 mile ride one way and it should be a good cruise. I am not winding it totally out on setting 1 but I am pretty easily cruising at 16-17 mph. I decide to engage the cruise. OMG- cruise on a bike is much better than I imagined it would be. Actually very useful considering how responsive the motor is.

I cruise to Walmart and all seems great. I can alternate hands in my pocket and keep them warm. Leaving Walmart there is a VERY steep hill. I stop just before the bottom of it and decide to see how it does. There isn’t a steeper hill around here that is paved anyway. I leave it on the first setting. This hill is like one you’d see in San Fran but not so long. It conquers it pretty easy but I have having problems with wheelspin since I need more weight on the front wheel. One disadvantage of FWD for sure.

Coming back I open it up on while still on the 1st setting (50% power) now that my hands are warm. I am running a pretty steady 20 mph with the occasional flicker to 21 on the GPS. To put it mildly I was pretty impressed. I didn’t want to really try winding it out till I put a few more miles on and checked all the fasteners.

Another day goes by and I get to do ride a bit. I try out setting 2 and 3. I see about 27 and 32 mph respectively but under less than ideal circumstance. I had a headwind or crosswind and still trying to get the feel of the motor combination. Sun is setting and I don’t really want to push in the dark.

The next day I had to fly home. I park the bike and couldn’t wait to ride it again. Fast forward to today. I fly back for work and got the bike out. I checked all the fasteners. Made a few adjustments to the brakes. Trued my rear wheel to eliminate some brake drag and time for another cruise. So now I feel pretty comfortable ringing it out. Handling on the bent is great at high speeds. Very stable even though it has no suspension. That will be rectified (sort of) when my Schwalbe Big Apples show up. These tires have worked great on my other unsuspended bikes.

For a change I am riding when it is light out and since it is a holiday not much road traffic. Time to put the petal the metal. No wind that I can tell of. Everything is tweaked, torqued and tightened. Looks to be a pretty level stretch of road. I max out setting 1, 22-23 mph. So on to setting 2; 29 mph. This is getting good. The first setting along almost made my design goal and setting 2 exceeded. I of course know it is diminishing returns but am still surprised when it motors right up to 33-34 mph on setting 3 and finally seems to top out at 36 mph. BTW, all up bike and payload today was probably about 330-340 pounds so it wasn’t pushing a feather along.

A light bulb goes off in my head. I finally get why so many of you on here become power junkies. I have an incredibly fast motorcycle (ZX12R) and a few others but while “streaking along” at a whopping 36 mph I have this big gigantic grin on my face. Sure it may not be 50 or 60 mph like some of the ebikes on here will go but for the low wattage motor and tiny wheel I am pretty darn happy. At the same time I am a little sad. I vastly exceeded my goals and I really don’t need to do anything more. In a way it is already “complete” and I only just started. It is like you start and finish college the first year. You sort of miss the journey if you know what I mean.

I learned a lot and I couldn’t have done it without all the content, help and guidance from people on this website. There is still a lot more to understand yet to maybe try some new things. Each day I read this site I have a better understanding of what I might want to try for another build. In the meantime I have an amazing commuter bike. Paul (Cell Man) was very patient and helpful. His products so far have vastly exceeded my expectations in most areas. I am already dreaming of my next ebike which will probably be my trike. Now I just need my Speedict and CA to show up so I can get some measurements to better understand what is going on. I am definitely impressed by the low drag of the recumbent. It definitely makes easy speed and the motor assist takes the hassle out of the hills which are typically the weakness of most recumbents. I almost forgot, the bike pedals pretty easily without the motor. The front wheel rolls very easily and with the battery pack off it feels almost identical to the way it did before I add the motor. The noise level is pretty low. All in all I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

Sorry about the long-winded post but I thought it might help some newbs in their own search. I didn't have a huge motor or big wheel and I got some pretty decent speeds. Pics to follow soon when it is light out again.

The Easy Racer (Sun version) is a great entry bent that is easy to ride and pretty fast. Really no bad habits. It has a 20" front and 26" rear wheel. It gives you a lot of options if you want to FWD or RWD on it. In retrospect I wouldn't change a thing. The hill I was climbing was very steep. I stopped at the bottom to make it as hard as possible. If I had been rolling probably wouldn't have been much of an issue.

To make it less of an issue, I am going with different tires anyway, the Schwalbe Big Apples I mentioned. They roll pretty easily and are amazing comfortable. The frame of the bent sort of acts a bit as a shock absorber as well. The Schwalbe is a bit wider than the tires now. That should help with the traction, If you grab a handful of throttle from the start (which you really shouldn't do as it really decreases range) it will easily spin the tire. It is more a testament to how strong that little MAC motor is even though it is the speed wind rather than the torque.

I went with the speed wind to try and offset the fact of having a 20" wheel. It automatically gave me more torque so I was trading off some of that torque for more speed.

Anyway back to the bent. This is not the fastest bent around but in the grand scheme it is pretty fast and is based on a design that set a lot of speed records. It is a bit heavier than a weight wennie would want but for powered duty it is a great option. It is one I can ride 40-50 miles on my own (no power) and be very comfortable. I can't think of a better bent to start out with for most people. The bottom bracket is not real high (not light my high racer) so it easy to take off from a start. The only downside I can see for some might be the long wheelbase part and finding a rack for it if you want to take it somewhere might be more of a challenge. It takes up a bit more room in the garage but once you get it out on the road you forget about all these things.

On the used market you can pick them up pretty reasonably. New they were about $1,500 or so depending on spec. Used they seem to bring $300-$500 depending on condition but never seem to drop much after that. Add a little fairing and a tail sock if you want even more speed.

Alan B said:
Great post and experience.

Is that a good "starting recumbent" for someone with no previous recumbent experience? Any bad habits??

Would you do a rear gearmotor (or mid drive) next time to help out with the traction problems??

I'm a big fan of recumbents. I was able to hack a stokemonkey onto a recumbent, with a little welding and a couple of prototype mounting brackets. Stokemonkey, as you probably know, drives the chain, thus the rear wheel. THis is not a bad way to go, but I'd not recommend it as a first build.

REcumbents are often lightweight in the front, being long, and so a rear drive 'Bent would probably not have so much problem with skidding wheels. You can also mount batteries amidships on a 'Bent, putting the weight near the rear wheel but not behind the rear axle. THis is important, as loading a bike too far to the rear can make it squirrelly. The EZ Racer is a classic recumbent, one of the best, and if you can find one for a reasonable price snap it up.

I would totally recommend a 'Bent, any 'Bent, as a first Ebike. I love recumbents, they are comfy, have better aerodynamics, and thus more efficiency with a motor.

I thought about mounting my batteries in the middle but the pack I ordered is too wide to do it. It is basically double height. I could have gone the single height and had a longer pack that probably would have fit. On the upside I was able to cram my battery in a Sunlite rack bag and it is out of the way and hidden. If I can paint the motor black it wouldn't be very noticeable on the front either. The silver housing stands out a bit. Once I get fenders mounted up that will help a bit too.

I have the controller on the frame under the seat. It is hidden when riding by my legs but when parked it is a bit open. I plan to enclose it when I have more time. I actually had a gal stop me while on a test ride and ask me about it. I was even more surprise when she turned out to be a young 20 something woman who was genuinely interested in it.

The more I ride it, the more I like it. Considering I have the same speed as a small 50cc scooter and about half the range of one I have at home, I am pretty impressed. As llile mentioned it makes a first great ebike. The comfortable riding position is hard to beat. One important thing for me is no pressure on the sensitive area in my crotch. A friend of mine who rides a lot starting having impotence issues from his seat and he is a doctor. I ride just a bit less than him and I was staring to notice a bit of numbness so I try and ride my bents as much as possible. I've also gone to seats with the little relief notches in the seats. No more race seats for me. It might be less pressure there if my weight was like that of a bike racer but I am built like a linebacker.

Back