Connecting a 5 pin display to a 6 pin controller?

torostrong

1 µW
Hello, I have an ebike kit from ebikekit.com. I have an older version of this kit https://www.ebikekit.com/collection...heavy-duty-e-bikekit-br-no-battery-rear-wheel. I broke the original display on a fall and I need to replace it. The problem is that I can only find a 6-pin display on the kit's website but it is listed as compatible with kits from 2017 or newer but my kit is from 2015. Additionally, it is overpriced at $142. Can anyone point me to a 6-pin display? Otherwise, my current plan is to buy a 5-pin display from aliexpress and convert the 6-pin connector on the controller by soldering a 5-pin connector. But I'm not sure if it would work. By converting the cable from 6-pin to 5-pin I would leave one of the wires unused. I'm not sure if that would prevent nonessential information from getting to the controller like the speedometer or leave out more crucial information, making the display unusable. Any thoughts or advice?

I don't know what the sixth wire would be for, but typical 5-pin controller/display sets have battery positive, battery ground, battery positive return to controller (ksi / keyswitch ignition, etc), data tx and data rx.

If you do get a display that happens to be otherwise compatible (unlikely, unfortunately), you'll need to test your existing setup for which wires are which, and then verify which wires are which on the new display, before connecting anything--otherwise you risk sending battery voltage to 5v-level parts, which will destroy them (and feedback thru parts of your controller / display may also fry other things connected to them, such as motor hall sensors, PAS sensors, throttles, etc).

Data formats and/or content are different between different displays and controllers, so unless you get one specifically made for your controller to talk to, it won't work as desired. If wired correctly, the mismatched display will turn the controller on, but it will be unlikely to display any useful information, or access the settings on the controller.

If its' the right brand but wrong firmware, it may work to some degree, but probably not the same way the original did.

So you'll probably need to find out what brand and model of display yours is (perhaps from the seller if there are no markings on it), and see if you can find one of them. (note that even if it is the same brand and model, if the firmware version is different, it may still not work the same or access the same settings or in the same way, etc).

If you can't find a compatible display, you may need to replace both controller and display at the same time with a matched set that have the features you want / need. :(

Back