• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Connecting a sensorless motor with no hall sensors to a sensored controller possible?

trophix

10 mW
Hi I was wondering if it's possible for me to connect my sensorless 24v brushless motor that does not have any Hall sensors to my 36v sensored controller?

Thank you!

After you add sensors to the motor, sure.

There are a few threads about adding hall sensors to brushless motors.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=add*+hall*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Do I have to add sensors to use the motor? I want to just use it without hall sensors.

Then you have to use a sensorless-capable controller.

If you want to use a sensored-type controller, you must also use a sensored motor.

What would happen if I just don't use the hall sensor wires on the conttoller. Will the motor still just run with 3 phase wires? I'm asking because I'm trying to connect an RC plane motor to an ebike controller.

trophix said:
What would happen if I just don't use the hall sensor wires on the conttoller. Will the motor still just run with 3 phase wires? I'm asking because I'm trying to connect an RC plane motor to an ebike controller.

It will either spin 1/8 of a turn and then give hall error, or not spin at all and give hall error. Boring.

If you're really insistent on using this specific motor, then, in order of ease of doing so, you'll either have to:

use a sensorless controller

or

add sensors to use it with a sensored controller

or

figure out how to design and add electronics to the sensored controller to read motor position information from the phase wires.

The first is very easy, but costs more money than the second.

The second is cheap, a few dollars for hall sensors plus some hours of your time, but not quite as easy.

The third probably costs more than either of the others, as you'll need some test equipment, parts, and a lot more time researching how to do this (and probably learning a lot of electronics along the way). The only advice I can offer on how to implement it relatively easily is to buy one of the "fake sensorless" controllers that already has the little board inside to convert phase to hall info, trace out the circuits, buy all the necessary parts, and then build your own, and put that in the controller you want to use, if you don't want to use a different controller for reasons other than cost. But I don't know any way to tell if a controller already has this board in it other than to open it up, as they are just listed as sensorless controllers, just like all the other sensorless controllers that get motor position information some other way.

And it's much much easier, and probably a lot cheaper, just to use the new controller to run the motor without even opening it up to peek inside. ;)

If you really don't want to put hall sensors in the motor, and dont' want to do any of the above, there's a thread by Burtie that discusses adding external optical timing sensors to the motor instead, but that's likely to be more complicated and potentially more expensive than just using a sensorless controller.

If you don't want to add any kind of sensors to the motor, and you don't want to do any of the above, then I don't know any way to make what you have work together.

Well darn, there are controllers that brag they'll work if halls go out. And Kelly has a line that are sensorless BLDC. The RC motors and controllers are sensorless.

There are encoders, which I so wanted to learn about a few years ago but never found anything good on the subject. Seems like just the ticket with an RC motor, you slide it right on to the shaft, right? Easier than halls. But how to REALLY build with one?

[youtube]oLBYHbLO8W0[/youtube]

The there's angle sensors.

If you go with hall sensors, there are prebuilt solutions, there are guides to DIY, there are there are there are. If you want to try alternatives, there's going to be a learning curve.

[youtube]vuG8D7yX4m4[/youtube]

Back