Controller limit power and bigger pinion foldable chinesse r20 bike

marce002

10 W
Hi

I have a foldable r20 bike with pas control for speed (not throtle at all)... the fact is that the motor receives too much power and i want to be 50% human and 50% electric like a real hybrid system..(now is 70-30). works very good but is like i need to stop pedaling after few seconds to be ok..also the rpm pedaling is so high to follow the motor that i think it should come with bigger? pinion.... is there any way to solve this from inside the controller? it is labeled as kt24svp ln08 speed set hall sensor..see photos

can amyone tell me what is speed hall sensor since it has a PAS connector used!!.. how can i limit power and what are the last 2 pictures connectors .. thks a lot

20231023_094034.jpg20231023_094038.jpg20231023_101202.jpg20231023_101048.jpg20231023_100944.jpg20231023_100810.jpg20231023_100753.jpg

Attachments

• 20231022_181127.jpg
    20231022_181127.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 10
Yes, you could use higher gearing to be able to pedal with the motor. Achieving this via larger front chainring would’ve preferable to using a smaller rear sprocket.

And, yes, you can reduce the power output from the controller. There’s a few different ways to do this. With the Kunteng (KT) controllers, most people use a display, with buttons to change the power level. But there are other ways.

I would focus on one thing at a time though. First, change the gearing.

thanks very much... i would prefer to do electronic stuff instead of mechanical solution for now... because I have left the bike in another city and grabbed the controller with me. the bike only have the controller no display no throtle nothing.. it ia very basic... the controller has no much info in the web looking for it ñs model that is why i asked here....what my options are then? battery is 6ah and 24vol (7s)

And, yes, you can reduce the power output from the controller. There’s a few different ways to do this. With the Kunteng (KT) controllers, most people use a display, with buttons to change the power level. But there are other ways.

what other ways,
from inside the controller ? shunt? any hint.?

In that one picture with the white connector with yellow/green/blue wires, there is a second white connector with red/black. Those are probably the Hall sensor wires to the motor. Most connectors use a single 2x3 connector and combine all five wires into one plug, sometimes adding a white wire for an internal speed sensor.

I can only guess on the red/black plug. Maybe +5V/ground for an LED. Does the bike run with it disconnected?

Your problem is it;s too easy to pedal, and the bike goes too fast? A bigger chain wheel in front will require more effort, but you will go even faster. Is that what you want?

Might be better to find a 24V KT 10A-13A controller with one of their better displays. You would also get 5 PAS levels. The lowest one should be slow enough, and you can further adjust the better displays to reduce current up to 50%. ALso has throttle capability and you may find that a better way to ride, adding throttle only when needed.

Otherwise, solder a smaller copper wire across the shunt and cut the main portion. It will be trial and error to see if you can reduce the current enough to meet your needs.

thanks doc! ,then i will probably try reducing the thickness of the shunt like you said, to reduce current draw right? only interested in a electrinic solution (no way to change chain wheel or pinion and also not being interested in another speed controller adquisition, because sounds a very easy to solve problem with the current electronic stuff)... i did not take apart the controller so i do not know what is inside, is there a chance to not see a shunt wire? and be another kind of component?

shave all shunts evenly or snip one shunt of the 2 or 3 shunt sense wires on the pcb?

Wait a minute. You have a 24 volt, max 10 amp controller, and you're getting "too much" power?

Do you weigh less than 10kg?

Chalo haha nope, the fact is that i want a hybrid bike not an 100% electric bike, besides this is a very small and foldable bike... my idea is to save power and do some minimal excersice, as you see people is not all the same and applications neither are, sorry my english (from argntine, and could not un bold this)

thanks calab will follow your advise.

Chalo haha nope, the fact is that i want a hybrid bike not an 100% electric bike, besides this is a very small and foldable bike... my idea is to save power and do some minimal excersice, as you see people is not all the same and applications neither are, sorry my english (from argntine, and could not un bold this)

Pues, tu bici sirve mejor cuando ambos tú y ella estan fuertes.

Pues, tu bici sirve mejor cuando ambos tú y ella estan fuertes.
Are you testing, or do you personally have knowledge that Spanish is an accessible language to him? Forgive my lack of discretion, but this entire thread is just weird -- I dunno wtf is going on in this thing.

Are you testing, or do you personally have knowledge that Spanish is an accessible language to him? Forgive my lack of discretion, but this entire thread is just weird -- I dunno wtf is going on in this thing.
He said he was Argentinian.

thanks nicobie , when you say less throtle input do you mean by affecting the SHUNT ? because i have no control over the throtle, because it has a PAS sensor only... it is a 20 foldable bike with just 5A output, enough for me in this project.

You have other options besides modifying the shunt. Since you have a compatible controller for it, you should also consider installing the Kunteng open source firmware.

Back