Controller upgrade help (Newbie)

amug1

1 mW
I have a xofo 1000w 48 volt rear hub motor on my OLDER Pedal Electric Pro Ebike and want to upgrade the controller so I have more Torq at take off. Currently the bike takes off very slow with a studder (has since new) and does not climb small hills well unless I help by pedaling.

I was considering a Grin Baserunner z9 controller but they are kinda spendy.

The pic shows my existing controller

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4788 2.jpeg
    IMG_4788 2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
Currently the bike takes off very slow with a studder (has since new)
Probably just normal and your not used to the sound. Sensorlless can studder, age of motor and system components can studder.

and does not climb small hills well unless I help by pedaling
You need more power which is more watts which is either more volts or more amps or both.

- More torque could mean smaller wheel, which means less speed. You could go from 26" to 24", and increase the amps but be sure your battery can handle the extra amps.

Personally I'd go for a 48v 30a or 35a generic sensored/sensorless controller from evfitting green time aliexpress.
xofo is geared right?

Probably just normal and your not used to the sound. Sensorlless can studder, age of motor and system components can studder.

You need more power which is more watts which is either more volts or more amps or both.

- More torque could mean smaller wheel, which means less speed. You could go from 26" to 24", and increase the amps but be sure your battery can handle the extra amps.

Personally I'd go for a 48v 30a or 35a generic sensored/sensorless controller from evfitting green time aliexpress.
xofo is geared right?
Bike is on 20"x4" wheels now and bike goes 30mph. Can you share a link to the larger controller?

Bike is on 20"x4" wheels now and bike goes 30mph. Can you share a link to the larger controller?
I have no clue if it's geared and can not find ANY info on it from mfg. and am still trying to figure it out. Upgrade has been on hold....sorry for the delay.

It's a geared motor. Can you post a pic of the battery (any label or external markings), and how old it is (approximately how many charge cycles it's gone through)? You can't determine how much more power the new controller can provide unless you know if your battery can handle it, unless you are also planning on upgrading the battery. Also, understand that replacing the controller also includes replacing any displays or buttons, etc., connected to the stock controller; PAS and throttle should/could still be compatible. Also, since it's a geared motor, the new controller needs to have a speed sensor input either on the hall connector or separate if you need to monitor your speed or distance.

Lift the bike and spin the motor wheel forward and backward. A geared motor will have more resistance spinning backward, because it's engaged thru the clutch/gears. When spun forward, it's in "freewheel" mode. A direct drive motor has the same resistance in either direction.

If you can pull 30 mph on the flats now with a geared motor, I would expect it to pull very well from a start, unless the rider/bike are quite heavy, Maybe it's a direct drive, as 30 mph is pretty fast for a geared motor and 48V.

Back