Copenhagen wheel

georgefromvt said:
Copenhagen Wheel. Is it legit? Like the no cable system but really question if it will ever hit market? :?:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2009/ratti-copenhagen-1216.html
44 hits

Edit: removed landmine. ES remains independent!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=%2Bcopenhagen+%2Bwheel

They emailed this morning - the Copenhagen wheel is available for pre-order.

https://www.superpedestrian.com/

I first saw this thing on the show Weedsbefore I even knew of eBikes.

The World's Latest E-bike Begins with the now-available Copenhagen Wheel
It looks like MIT in collaboration with the Cambridge-based startup Superpedestrian have solved the problem {of regenerative braking} because today they announced that their latest product, the Copenhagen Wheel, is now available for pre-order. Since it was founded in late 2012, Superpedestrian has been working toward untangling the knots and finer details in order to commercialize the Copenhagen Wheel – an MIT design that transforms regular bikes into e-bikes.
[youtube]S10GMfG2NMY[/youtube]
https://www.superpedestrian.com/
From what I can tell, it combines a 350 watt (US) or 250 watt (EU) rear hub motor with regenerative braking, 48 volt lithium battery and wireless remote to connect with a smartphone for display, like a cycleanalyst. Now taking pre-orders at $700 US.

Thread locked, please comment on the other Copenhagen wheel thread started earlier the same day.

users pedal and the motor phases in and out automatically. The Wheel learns about the rider and intuitively recognizes how hard he or she pedals and the topography ahead to determine how much support the rider may need. There aren't any additional throttles, wires, or buttons, maintaining the pure simplicity of cycling.

Well, ..there goes any credibility they may have had !

Maybe they are integrating google maps data into the software that controls the power assist system. That would be impressive...
M.I.T. students should be able to do that, right?

Couple of questions...

How fast can the wheel make the bike go?

What AH is the battery inside the motor?

Who fixes the wheel if the battery craps out?

lester12483 said:
Couple of questions...

How fast can the wheel make the bike go?

What AH is the battery inside the motor?

Who fixes the wheel if the battery craps out?

Website claims 20MPH for US Version/25KPH Euro Version.
Battery is user replaceable.
No Battery AH Listed. I am assuming it is somewhere in the 5-10 AH size.
[edit:] Looks like LiPo packs in there. 13S at around 5 AH would be my best guess. Also guessing that 30-mile range they claim is with a "light" pedal assist on flat terrain.

to the beach said:
I wonder if this company has a patent, or maybe share one. There is a similar product, called Smart Wheel by FlyKly. I see no differences.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flykly/flykly-smart-wheel?ref=search

Pretty much the same tech.

I noticed their "battery" is (20) 18650 cells. At best they are getting 10S2P or 36V and 6 AH, assuming good high C-rated Cells.

I like the tech and the simplicity, but power and range are a bit lacking.

Someone needs to develop a stand-alone 36V-72V 40A controller with a Bluetooth radio, so we can get the tech and still build our custom ebikes.

There's a nice write-up in today's Christian Science Monitor: Copenhagen Wheel zooms toward e-bike future, By Karis Hustad, Staff Writer / December 16, 2013. I found the survey bit very interesting:
Sweating and distance are exactly what has driven many toward e-biking technology, according to Jennifer Dill, professor at the Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning at Portland State University in Portland, Ore. Ms. Dill, along with fellow Portland State researcher John MacArthur, recently completed a survey monitoring the habits and motivations of e-bikers across the country.

The survey found that 34 percent of e-bike riders say they ride to places further away once they had an e-bike, with another third saying they also use the e-bike to run errands or get to social events – both instances where distance and perspiration could play a role.

“The e-bike takes a little less effort to ride,” she says. “Anyone who has any physical impairments ... an e-bike can help with that.” Her survey showed 45 percent of e-bike commuters are over the age of 55.

She also points out that 60 percent of respondents feel safer while riding an e-bike than a standard bike....

Huffington Post, edition Canada, reports today that the Copenhagen Wheel is capable of 60 kph 37.28 mph. Software was programed to meet 20mph USA and 25 kph Euro restrictions.

Unfortunate it can't be had in a 20" rim.
otherDoc

Seems they replaces their LiPoly with some more compact battery.

No pictures of the real battery are available, nor is theer any information about battery specs and how "easy" you can remove them. (what about rear racks?)

I'm also not able to find any information about torque arms. The video is a bad joke on that part, someone putting in the Copenhagen wheel and "tightening" the axle screws with his fingers (sic!).

It is said that you can "lock" your bike when removing the samrtphone, but what happens if my smartphone's battery is empty (happens to me quite often).

They calim that regen works be moving the pedals backwards or when moving downhill. I want my bike to brake when I want it, not when the bikes decides it:

Quote: "...As you bike, the wheel is able to capture energy when braking or going down hill that it stores in the integrated lithium battery pack...."

No mention of the sensors inside the motor. Didn't they claim some years ago, that the wheel can monitor certain things like noise or CO concentration? Not that I would need/want this, but I can not find any information on that.

Also no information which data can be logged.

To me there are still way to many unanswered questions for a product they are already selling.

I also don't like the spoke design and would have prefered a more traditional/standard type. Same with the colour. It's only available in red! But that's a matter of personal preferences, I guess...

Back