Copenhagen wheel

I'm not sure what to think about the spokes. How are they connect to the hub? It doesn't look like a weld... I can't tell.

If anything, I'd be more worried about the spokes braking, especially since I can't tell how it would be repaired.

jsmay311 said:
I'm not sure what to think about the spokes. How are they connect to the hub? It doesn't look like a weld... I can't tell.
Looks like they loop around within a groove in the casing. Seems a reasonable idea to me.....

blue tooth and gps :?: :?: and questionable performance ?

Got big brother written alllllll over it . dont do it . owned by some oil man whos gonna find you in your sleep and end your treehugging days.
but its ok for you new yorkers . ride on :wink:
the spokes are cool but hhhmm you ding one and 2 go

Miles said:
Looks like they loop around within a groove in the casing. Seems a reasonable idea to me.....

I agree.

Here are my concerns:

Under spoke tension, will the looped spoke pull out the grove/cut in the casing? That would render the sidecover useless.

When a spoke snaps, where do you go? No bike shop will have them, so you carry an oddly shaped 'boomerang' spoke in your hip pocket?

voicecoils said:
Miles said:

I agree.

Here are my concerns:

Under spoke tension, will the looped spoke pull out the grove/cut in the casing? That would render the sidecover useless.

When a spoke snaps, where do you go? No bike shop will have them, so you carry an oddly shaped 'boomerang' spoke in your hip pocket?
It seems to me that the tension on a big U-shaped wire would equalise or balance somehow when the wheel is subjected to shock.
It would definitely "seat in" in the drive direction just like normal bicycle hubs and spokes.

You can't even obtain or replace the spokes in many of the low spoke boutique wheels flogged to today's roadies.

There's nothing to suggest the so called "Copenhagen Wheel" is ready for prime time. That it spurs bicycle development is good, IMO.
Whether it's directly related to what we presently, and somewhat euphemistically, call "electric assist bicycles" is debatable.
I live at the bottom of a hill. Coasting home could theoretically give me a free boost on the outbound leg the next day.

It could be the hottest pie to come out yet.

voicecoils said:
They are managing the lipo pouches with zip ties and sticky tape
Yeah, that's gonna come apart the first day in Phoenix's late spring, much less summer. :roll:

Also, what if you don't ride often or hard enough to regen enough to charge the battery more than all the fancy electronics use up? With no external charger, you can kiss your expensive investment goodbye. :evil:

I love the look, and I love the electronics. But WTF? Theres no way this thing is more efficient than a conventional bicycle. Wayyy too much mass in the wheel. I would like to incorporate some of the electronic gizmos into my bike though....

This is just the Green Wheel reported on last winter: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/02/18/green-wheel-bike.html

Seems like the changes have not necessarily been for the better to me, especially the projected cost which has gone from low to potentially high depending on what they are using for the average cost of an electric bicycle these days. I liked the idea of the wireless throttle also and the 30 mph top speed :twisted:

Wireless throttle is great until the signal gets interference while it's high (or the controlling device's battery falls out or dies, or the controlling device's CPU locks up or crashes). ;)

Or until someone else riding along hacks your throttle and sends you into traffic at a stop light. :roll:

(yeah, I'm kidding...)

I think a few of these will get made and sold to trendy early adopters, but the high-price/low-performance ratio will keep it as an obscure oddity. The regen/boost feature seems to be most useful for starting from a stop in a flat place like Holland or Manhattan.

I've seen bicycle forums where any mention of electric bikes is sneered at by 90% of posters. Car drivers are denigrated as "cagers" (ride around inside a cage) and just pedal-only bikes are embraced. The frequent anti-Ebike comment is that the majority of electricity in the US still comes from coal (true), so, I usually lie and say my E-bike is charged from a battery that is kept topped off by a solar cell (I want that some day, but don't have it yet).

If you say that you need a car to get groceries or get to work in the rain, you are told to HTFU (Harden The F*** Up)

Funny that an anti-CopenhagenWheel commenter thought it was OK once he found out it was only charged by regen. They usually dont respond when I mention that mining and smelting aluminum and steel for the frames is very polluting, and requires a lot of coal-fired electricity.

I like the concept, clean no fuss hub motor kit, however for those of us who can have more than 200- 250 watt motors, I doubt it can compete in performance. And I'd like to see how much battery power it actually regens, I doubt the amount of regen is enough to truly extend your range.

He he now if we could just get someone with clout to plug E-Bikes at one of these summits, that would be great!

Too bad most of the time they seem to be more interested in politics more than anything else. :?

So I was out enjoying the weather yesterday in Boston and I saw someone zip by me with rear hub-equipped bike. The odd part was, it was a very spartan single speed bike with no controller, battery pack, wires, etc. to speak of. I was looking to catch up to the guy but alas, my ebike's not finished so I was just on my beater bike. I did some researching online and this looks to be the kit, just wondering if anyone's personally used it and can provide the specs like range, power, etc? Looks like it was developed by some MIT people but I can't seem to find much info on it. Anyway, seems like a really elegant and simple idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7y3qIQu3Gc

Can't imagine it would have anywhere near the power or range that some of us Ebikers want, but it would be perfect for somebody just needing an occasional boost. That is very very cool, but I imagine it would cost a lot.

Must find technical stats.... Fascinating!

"1. Providing ease of usability. Most other e-bikes on the market have bulky battery packs, are hard wired and are not able to be retrofitted in an existing bike."

:roll:

More here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpokQc37dd4

http://cities.media.mit.edu/download/GreenWheel-Dec2008.mov

Supposedly will go 30MPH and go like 40ish miles with light pedaling! Crazy! No wires, usee bluetooth throttle and batts are IN the MOTOR!!

It's neat in a way but totally stupid in other (more important) ways. More cool stuff I'm not buying..the list never ends. later

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/4167/fi...-award-puts-emphasis-on-market-potential.html
First Bike Expo BrandNew Award Puts Emphasis on Market Potential
MUNICH, Germany - Like other large shows for bicycle products also the Bike Expo created an award competition. Therefore they have called in the organization of the ISPO BrandNew Award who has been organizing the annual competition of the best outdoor products for more than 10 years.

The BrandNew award is no innovative competition like the Taipei International Bicycle Design Competition and the Eurobike Award. The BrandNew award is aimed at new entrepreneurs and to give them a podium to introduce themselves in the market. Therefore, in addition to innovation the jury is also looking at the selection criteria marketing, design and market potential. Submitting companies may not have existed for more than four years.

E-wheel
The jury of the BrandNew had to assess more than 50 entries this year. Just like other awards, the BrandNew Award has several categories: cycling general, accessories, protection, single Speed / fixie, urban cycling, clothing and e-Bike. The jury has chosen a winner in each category leading to an overall winner.

The overall winner of the first Bike Expo BrandNew Award is the Copenhagen Wheel. It is much more than just a wheel. The Copenhagen Wheel turns any bike into an advanced e-Bike. The complete electronic system, battery as well as motor are included in the hub.

The e-Bike is controlled with a wireless smart phone like the iPhone while the software also offers a social networking mode. A great invention for the city use but it also fits very well in any bike for commuting in rural areas.

Published @ 16-06-2010
**************************************************************************************************
Bike Expo BrandNew site here:
http://www.bikeexpo-brandnew.com/en/Home.aspx

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the pedalling. It stores energy you input when the going is easy for times when it's tough. That might be worth it if the weight of the kit is small enough. Can't remember if it does regen. As I said - only by trying it could I decide if it was worth it. Peter Eland where are you: get testing!

Copenhagen Wheel. Is it legit? Like the no cable system but really question if it will ever hit market? :?:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2009/ratti-copenhagen-1216.html

Back