Copper instead of Nickel, necessary?

rg12

100 kW
a.jpg

I mean, of course it's better than nickel but is it really THAT necessary?
I use 0.15 thick pure nickel that is "closed" no gaps, like here in the photo of the copper strips and it ends up being equal to 16mm wide piece of nickel from each parallel cell to the next one in series (you can also look at it as 8mm wide 0.3mm thick if it helps you get a more realistic feel).
Even if I run a pack hard, I usually use 25R cells and don't use more than half of their rating for bursts, so I end up pulling 10A for bursts from each cell which is nothing for an 8mm wide 0.3mm thick nickel.
So, is copper really necessary here for the 0.0001 less voltage sag and heat?
The copper in the photo is 0.3mm (which is bad ass) but it's welded through those laser welded nickel squares for easy spot welding.
Now, do you think that's a problem or do you think it will function just as well as copper welded straight to the cell (in a perfect world where people can actually spot weld 0.3mm pure copper to a cell).
and on that note, do you know if any normal pneumatic spot welded can do 0.1mm copper?
Mine is pneumatic but trips the switch after 40% power but even if it didn't and I could crank it to weld 0.1mm copper, would it weld clean or just weld the electrodes, stick all the time and blow holes in the weld points?
P.S, those sexy copper bars in the photo, do you think it's ok to not have them coated with nickel or something? because my pure copper 0.1mm is all nickel plated.

That must be coated. Copper would green in no time where I live plus electricity. It does look good. Time to test. It would keep heat down.

Back