CUSTOM 2.4Ghz Remote Controller

I'm looking to gain experience in electronics so as a project (always the best way to learn anything). I'm going to try and make a custom 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver with all my ridiculous features. This is a probably long project and no definite date on completion but it's something I wouldn't mind working on from time to time. For all I know it might not ever be completed, hopefully not!

The objective of this post is to share details, ideas and develop the best custom 2.4ghz remote controller for an electric skateboard.

I'll be getting a bit of help on the project so I won't be going in blind. Should speed things up as I won't be starting from scratch and not as much trial and error.

In the beginning it will be a 3D printed enclosure.

RC Transmitter Features
- Works as a Standard RC 2.4 Ghz Transmitter/Receiver
- 2.4 Ghz Transmitter/Receiver
- Small form factor / small handheld controller
- Reliable Transmitter/Receiver - No Disconnects. Option for extending signal/antenna.
- No dropping or interference
- Programmed in Arduino
- Uses small lipo battery as main power source.
- On/Off Power Switch with Green/Red LED
- Mini USB Port for charging handheld transmitter
- Cruise Control button - automatically will gradually start to 3mph and throttle up/down will accelerate and decelerate. Cruise control resume within 5 seconds, gradually resume to cruise control last speed.
- Speed button - slow, normal, sport - slow is under 13mph and low throttle. normal is normal with decent throttle up to 20mph+. sport is acceleration as fast as you can throttle.
- Remote Handheld Battery Indicator - Green for charge and turns orange then red and brightness changes for charge level.
- LED lights/screen for battery pack voltage and/or bars or % for battery pack life.
- Signal light LED for transmitter and receiver sync or connection. Wifi type icon.
- Dead man trigger
- Throttle control - Decide between Boosted, Evolve, Yuneec (Wheel, Trigger, Slide)
- Option for flashlight on controller

RC Receiver Features
- Option for up to 4 ESCs using 3PIN connector. Automatically disregard positive/power line if more than one.
- Option to power through UBEC/BEC with 3PIN connector.
- Plugs into battery source?
- Ability to plug in 4 or 5 LED lights.

Ideas
oCWu9pl.png

I8bg437.png

5nJ9143.png

What features do you think I'm missing? What kind of controller

definitly trigger..
slider and thumb throttles are not as intuitive in my opinion.
3d printed case a definite plus...
rechargeable lipo.. a necesity!

I agree. I am still curious how the boosted (wheel potentiometer), yuneec e-go (slide potentiometer) work for our application. Anyone who has one care to comment?

Also curious how Evolve's new (trigger) style throttle works. Looks good.

got one evolve, it's quite easy when you pull the trigger you accelerate, push brake.You have one button for ON, then if you keep pushing it goes OFF. Then if you push one time, you switch between slow mode and rapid mode (blink faster equals rapid) where you have more speed and torque. Other button if for reverse mode. Works really fine. What is really awesome on the evolve (big diff) is the progressive brake; so smooth, pretty amazing in fact. I just did a short session in 2°C in Paris to see if I could be able to get back on a board slowly, except that riding at night is quite dangerous, the trigger works so perfectly, really stealthy. A big win.

if anyone interested I can do a video.

Well, please do finish this project some time!

TX:
I only ever used rc pistol and nunchuck, but I think the wheel and slider could be less twitchy since there is a surface (the remote) to stabilize against whereas the trigger is basically 'free' and keeping steady speed requires keeping the triggerfinger in the exact same position without any support to steady it. I don't know of any application out of my head where a trigger is used for steady control, only for quick changes like rc pistols and such. Having a slider/wheel option for us DIYers would be really nice. I guess if you have not tested it yourself either you might just try both versions? Most of the electrinocs will stay the same anyway, right?

Progressive brakes is for sure a must have, but that could be an ESC thing.

For the LEDs, boosted might have nailed it, nice and simple but indicative enough. State of charge of the board is a really nice feature for the remote , do it!

Maybe add the AUX buttons (see below) in a way so they can function as buttons for turn signals? Would be a fun thing to have on eboards and might make ppl consider them to be safer in a way.

RX:
I think just 1 ESC plug will do the trick well enough, could just make a cheap connection harness for people using 2-4 ESCs and safe space on the RX for those who just use one.
Plugging it directly into battery would require a dcdc step down on board, right? At least those I got are quite big, so would be a huge waste of space if using an ESC that has UBES/SBEC anyway.
I like the idea of plugging LEDs derectly into the RX, but that would mean it has to handle more amps than just the signals and would be limited to the voltage of the BEC (3.3 or 5v I think?) while there are some nice 24v LEDs that work great for 6s setups without dcdc converters. Just add a few AUX channels instead and link them to the respective buttons on the remote so people can decide what to stick in there and use remote controlled switches like the HK ones controlled by the RX for LEDs.

TL;DR: Do try wheel/slider if you can, they might be more intuitive and stable than you think. Keep things modular, thats a principle that works well for all the hobby stuff and allows for nice customisation.

Defenitly trigger. I like the evolve remote it has a sleek look to it.

Btw if you use your index finger for the trigger you can use your middle finger to stabilize it. (That's what I do).

@Okp - If you can do a video that would be awesome! I'm interested.

@furp
The Boosted "Wheel" type seems nice.. Compared to a slider (Yuneec E-Go) I think it would be a bit more difficult to have a cruise control button with a slider as well.

Yeah, I could try both versions as the electronics should stay the same. Simply just changing out the potentimeters.

Yeah, I actually like Boosted's LED's they are pretty awesome :)

@Okp, furp - Describe your ideal progressive brakes?

Nice helpful tips guys.

I'm going to base everything using Vedder's ESC most likely.

I will post a video in the next hour of the transmitter and it's functions.

For me progressive breaking is like smooth braking but I think this is really the feature of the ESC, I will try to film tomorrow some footage to show you. The Evolve carbon is also really really silent. Make it ultra stealth. Going to film the video for you

brb.

My boards don't have progressive braking, just the alien on/off abs braking, but I would assume the perfect progressive braking is just like normal mechanical braking, more brake travel equals harder braking. Nice and controllable, maybe even with the same curves options as throttle, so log, exp and linear. Hoping for vedders ESC to enable that like it does the smooth start :)

Nice vid OKp thanks...
was that darth vader helping you out?

evolve looks cool... but i still like the boosted one better.. simpler and the lights look cool and give added info...

I own the E-Go, MetroBoard and Newest Evolve Skateboard. Speaking solely to the remotes here are my findings:

My Experience : Owned many E-Skatboards and ride daily
Both work great, however I feel I have more control with the slider for speed increments. This is eximplified primarily with braking down hills which allows much more confidence.
Longer rides I would give a slight edge to the trigger comfort though the slider does not feel cumbersome in any way.
I perfer the E-Go remote overall as it offers a much smoother ride, I find myself riding just below the threshold of top speed and varying much more with a trigger sensation, though not a fair comparison as the E-Go is unfulfilling at top speed.
1)E-Go
2)Evolve
3)Metroboard - not a fan of the incremental speed controls.

Newbies Experience : Those who have never tried an electric skateboard.
All felt more confident with the E-Go controller.

I am now looking at the newest generation of Boosted, Marble, and Stary but might modify these to work with my favorite controller ;)

Back