• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BBS-FW: Open Source Firmware for BBSHD/BBS02 Controller

Is there an Open Source Firmware project for the BBS01B? Specifically, I am interested in firmware which only allows the throttle to be engaged while pedalling.
Is the 01 that different from the O2, that it could not use the same firmware? I thought it was just a current limited motor. If that is the case, this firmware already has an option where the throttle only works with peddling.

Is the 01 that different from the O2, that it could not use the same firmware? I thought it was just a current limited motor. If that is the case, this firmware already has an option where the throttle only works with peddling.

Unfortunately, the BBS01B firmware doesn't have that option. Because of UK law, I don't currently have a throttle on my bike. Ideally, I want the non-pedalling throttle speed limited to UK legal 6km/h, until pedal assist, at which point the throttle's speed limit with pedalling is increased to the UK legal 25km/h speed limit.

bbs01b-throttleless-settings.jpg

BBS01B-Firmware-Settings-16.8.23-5.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the BBS01B firmware doesn't have that option. Because of UK law, I don't currently have a throttle on my bike. Ideally, I want the non-pedalling throttle speed limited to UK legal 6km/h, until pedal assist, at which point the throttle's speed limit with pedalling is increased to the UK legal 25km/h speed limit.
Does the bbs have 'walk assist' like the tsdz2, as that is effectively a binary throttle that gets you up to 6kph or whatever you set it to. Try holding 'down' on the button pad for a few seconds and see if the motor runs.

Does the bbs have 'walk assist' like the tsdz2, as that is effectively a binary throttle that gets you up to 6kph or whatever you set it to. Try holding 'down' on the button pad for a few seconds and see if the motor runs.
Yes it does, and that's only UK legal while walking the bike, via a long button press on the keypad. If you release the button, walk assist stops. It's useless while riding, because there's a long pause before PAS subsequently kicks in - by that time the bike has slowed down again. If there isn't such a long pause on the TSDZ2 between the cease of walk assist and PAS activation, I can well imagine that being useful when pulling away after being stopped at traffic lights and junctions etc.

I am interested in this firmware but I have two questions:

I hava a Bafang 750w bbs02 motor.

- Does this firmware already work with the Eggrider?
- I can't find it, does this firmware also remove the "power saving mode" that keeps you at full power even below 47 volts?

Regards Michael

Is it normal for PAS to slowly creep up after about 30 seconds when riding at 39 km/h in 40t:13t gear (motor programmed to have maximum power and cadence around 50% only in order to minimize ghost pedalling)?

It results in loss of speed when shifting gears. When riding slowly it doesn't seem to behave in that way.

Might be because shift sensor threshold current is currently set too low.

Have nothing else to compare to since cadence sensor stopped working with stock firmware.

Last edited:
I am interested in this firmware but I have two questions:

I hava a Bafang 750w bbs02 motor.

- Does this firmware already work with the Eggrider?
- I can't find it, does this firmware also remove the "power saving mode" that keeps you at full power even below 47 volts?

Regards Michael
It "works" with the Eggrider.
I mean you can connect to the display and get the real time info as usual but you can't edit the controller settings (Basic, Pedal, Throttle) on the go as this is completly different from the Bafang Firmware.
The Road/Offroad button on your screen won't work either, you'll need to use the "Operation Mode Toggle" from the BBS-FW Tool.
"Immobilizer" is still usable in the Display Settings. Max speed Road and Offroad won't affect anything from now if you flashed Daniel's FW

Last edited:
Hello there!

I bought the new SW102/T display (also named SW102-T) to replace the Eggrider because I considered it was useless from now with this BBS-FW

I did struggled a bit to get it work at first because I was getting no PAS and no throttle. After a bit of testing and flashing sessions, here are how to set your Assist Level from the BBS-FW tool:

- Level 0 -> works if you want to set PAS, throttle or Cruise but you probably should not use it
- Level 1 -> doesn't work
- Level 2 -> PAS 1
- Level 3 -> doesn't work
- Level 4 -> PAS 2
- Level 5 -> doesn't work
- Level 6 -> PAS 3
- Level 7 -> doesn't work
- Level 8 -> PAS 4
- Level 9 -> PAS 5

1720884196597.png

View attachment 354822

View attachment 354826
What app is that?

Back