• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Custom laser cut deck idea

vince086

1 mW
A few months ago bought all the electronics for a skateboard, now I need a deck.
Got access to a laser cutter so I'm going to build a custom deck.
I'll be using 3mm plywood, unless you have something better to suggest (it's safe to use in the laser and free).
The deck is 12mm thick (same as a standard skateboard deck) and most features are multiples of 3 to make sure everything survives the slicing. Design is about 99% done (maybe add grab handles).

So here is the plan:
Get STL of deck from Solidworks
Use 123D Make to slice it
Laser cut the plywood
Glue slices together using weatherproof PVA wood glue
Sand and "finish" the deck, make sure everything fits.

Now here is where I am not sure:
Should I just cover the entire thing with some sort of resin to waterproof it or should I add a layer or two of fiberglass cloth to strengthen it?
I have no idea if the deck will be too thick or not thick enough (don't want it to flex)
Never used resin before but from some searching Polyester Resin (much cheaper) and some fiberglass cloth from hobbyking should work.

Do you think this would work or is it a crazy idea?

Would have liked a detachable battery box (still don't fully trust LIPOs) but maybe the next version.
I'd be happy to upldoad the STL or solidworks assembly if somebody wants it.

Some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/vf6V3

Neat idea, but if you don't want flex you will need some really solid wood. I bought an Apex Carbon years ago made with fiberglass and wood and the thing is a trampoline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkgLFrtvwJU
1:47 is the construction explained.

Are you planning to add concave? It might help keep it rigid, but you'll need to compensate for it when mounting the box.

Custom decks are sweet, but I would seriously question your materials.

What timber is the 3mm ply? a clear pine? Sure this stuff is cheap, but it's also incredibly weak. From your images it looks as if you are not using concave, so why not use a 12-15mm piece of marine ply instead? You will need 5 layers of 3mm clear pine at a minimum, with a steep concave to make it strong enough.

Your best bet for making a deck is with some 4mm BB grade baltic birch ply (or whatever size Baltic birch you can find). Be aware though that the 3 layers of this you will need will not provide you with enough glue lines to hold a good concave, so you will need to press it very severely to compensate for the spring back. For the timber joins, a glue called titebond 3 is the way to go. It's an american glue and can be got from most american hardware stores, or check local woodworking forums for suppliers. Fibreglass cloth could be great, especially if you don't want flex, but use an epoxy resin for sure. The trojan 1000 series on ebay is decent entry level stuff. Use a plain woven glass, not a chopped strand matt.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but making a deck is fairly complex and expensive for one-offs, it might be better to make a battery box yourself and fit it to a stock deck? They can be had relatively cheaply from a second hand store.

bandaro said:
Don't want to be a party pooper, but making a deck is fairly complex and expensive for one-offs, it might be better to make a battery box yourself and fit it to a stock deck? They can be had relatively cheaply from a second hand store.

Don't worry, the reason I post is to get a different view.

Giving the deck a concave would be a bit hard with the tools I have at hand. Might be able to get some marine ply and if I double the thickness of the board, maybe add a few layers of epoxy and fiberglass it might be rigid enough. As you said this is starting to be a lot of work for just a deck. Having said that, I already have a standard skateboard deck, it's just that with longboard trucks it looks kinda silly to me.
Since this is my first, might be easier just to build a battery box. (make a shape out of foam and use fiberglass to create a the box over it)

Tried searching for "trojan 1000" on ebay but no results related to epoxy resin.

hisrealhuman said:
I bought an Apex Carbon years ago made with fiberglass and wood and the thing is a trampoline.

You weren't joking, that thing is really flexible.
Adding a concave would be a bit hard for me plus I really like the look of a flat deck.

Back