CYC PHOTON

I'm using a 52v21ah LG jumbo shark battery from Golden Motors. It's pretty cold in Toronto this time of year, so my range isn't amazing. I did a 20km ride today, with a 1km ascent (Gates Gully for my Torontonians). The battery went from 57.x to 53.x. I was using pedal assist 3 the whole time, maxed at 750 watt. But it was closer to 400 watts assistance generally.
I have a 52V10Ah CYC battery, which will get me about 60km with light use. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger battery at some stage, but there isn't much choice here in NZ, and almost nothing is certified - which is going to become a big factor in the near future.

So I'm circling back to add more thoughts on my experience so far. I have about 200km on the Photon, commuting twice.

First, the motor is more than powerful enough for my needs. I probably could have gone with a 500w motor and been fine. I don't think anyone needs more than 750w for commuting. But the extra power is fun.

The 38t chainring let's me hit about 32km/h on my 3rd highest gear (18t) even though the gear calculators suggest otherwise. Weird.

I gave some thought to buying the 42t chainring. If I were to do it again, I'd go with 42t. But I'm not going to spend the extra $150CAD to upgrade now. The speed is in the zone I want. Plus battery life goes fast when I go, err, fast.

I'm glad I have external lights because I ran out of juice on one ride (didn't charge fully). So my battery cut off for low voltage (at 46v). But my lights continued to run.

Oh, the motor is louder than I expected. But when I'm at speed, it's not really noticeable.

Edit: swapped in highest for lowest when describing gears.

Last edited:
A friend of mine got 2 Photons for his and her bikes based on my recommendation. Unfortunately one was DOA and CYC is sending a new controller. I believe a couple of you here have done this replacement. Do you have directions, a link to a video, or some tips? What all is involved? While I have done this on my original TSDZ2 I have never had my Photon apart.

I did see this photo from an earlier post and it looks like all you may need to do is pull the controller cover and unplug it from the board?Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 1.46.25 PM.png

Last edited:
A friend of mine got 2 Photons for his and her bikes based on my recommendation. Unfortunately one was DOA and CYC is sending a new controller. I believe a couple of you here have done this replacement. Do you have directions, a link to a video, or some tips? What all is involved? While I have done this on my original TSDZ2 I have never had my Photon apart.

I didn't bother with a heat gun or hair dryer or anything. I just shoved a slotted screwdriver in there and pried. It came off pretty easily. I couldn't do nearly as neat a job applying the replacement gasket (also I had to buy some stuff myself cause they didn't send any) but it's more important to get a good seal anyway.

Thanks. That looks pretty easy. Much easier than TSDZ2, for sure.

I didn't bother with a heat gun or hair dryer or anything. I just shoved a slotted screwdriver in there and pried. It came off pretty easily. I couldn't do nearly as neat a job applying the replacement gasket (also I had to buy some stuff myself cause they didn't send any) but it's more important to get a good seal anyway.

I did see this photo from an earlier post and it looks like all you may need to do is pull the controller cover and unplug it from the board?View attachment 349509
Good to know that for 1000$ they do not even bother doing any self-tests procedure before shipping.

I won't find out, not my Photon. But hopefully the new controller shipped with the latest.
Latest firmware update was mid February I think, and it did fix an issue for me. Strongly recommend updating, it really is very easy.

I haven't ridden my Photon bike for a long time... weather sucks lately. But I went down and popped in a battery to do the firmware update. You were right, easiest e-bike firmware update I have ever done. No ST programmer and all that nonsense. LOL. Just click the update button in the app.

Latest firmware update was mid February I think, and it did fix an issue for me. Strongly recommend updating, it really is very easy.

I haven't ridden my Photon bike for a long time... weather sucks lately. But I went down and popped in a battery to do the firmware update. You were right, easiest e-bike firmware update I have ever done. No ST programmer and all that nonsense. LOL. Just click the update button in the app.

Controller firmware updates right from the smartphone app? Liking this mid drive more and more.

Yes. It works like many other devices, where you don't even have to go find the file. It checks itself and tells you whether it is up to date or if there is a new version available. If there is, just click the update button. It is almost too easy. ;)

Controller firmware updates right from the smartphone app? Liking this mid drive more and more.

it's funny but sad same time to see ppl being amazed with things that are obvious and ordinary given that we are in 21 century ... it goes straight to the point where customer is happy if he get ANYTHING for the money... smells like users of apple . sorry for the mood but here you are

This should really be the standard for all ebikes - including the big manufacturers, no need to get a retailer or other agent involved. The down side is that the actual files generally remain opaque and outside of the control of the user, although there is an ability to use local files and the password to do this is known for previous firmware/app versions. And to CYC's credit, there have been (AFAIK - I will have missed some) at least 3 firmware updates since the motor was first released, as well as significant app renovation.

Still no datalogging though... (please, CYC).

This should really be the standard for all ebikes - including the big manufacturers, no need to get a retailer or other agent involved. The down side is that the actual files generally remain opaque and outside of the control of the user, although there is an ability to use local files and the password to do this is known for previous firmware/app versions. And to CYC's credit, there have been (AFAIK - I will have missed some) at least 3 firmware updates since the motor was first released, as well as significant app renovation.

Still no datalogging though... (please, CYC).

Only slightly less convenient: I have to send my motor to Italy to update the firmware. Almost as good, right?

in 21 century ota update when device has bt and can connect to phone should be normal as breathing ... absence of this is weird . not presence...

Not weird, pretty much standard for e-bikes. Except, it seems, CYC now. The other DIY motors like TSDZ2 and maybe BBS (I have never had BBS) required ST Visual programmer and a good bit of work that might even be beyond the non tech savvy general public to reflash motor controller AND displays. And forget about the proprietary motors. And Bikee sending it back to Italy? LOL.

in 21 century ota update when device has bt and can connect to phone should be normal as breathing ... absence of this is weird . not presence...

Toseven dm02 is only slightly larger and dissipate heat much much better than photon. CYC photon is basically a 500W (sustained power) motor while DM02 could be easily treated as 750W. No Idea why CYC charges $1000 for this motor instead of $500.
Seems strange that a motor with two or three air gaps can sustain 500W compared with another motor with no air gaps at all that can sustain only by 250W more.

So the real-world sustained power limits on the Photon is 500W? That seems OK for the right market segment. I have a friend with a 250W specialized, and he loves it and rides it everyday. The specialized probably peaks at 500W bursts. I think those are the bikes that the Photon should be judged against. This motor is 7 pounds, very small, and fairly quiet. The ToSeven motors sound terrible and are quite heavy. The BBS02 is heavier and lacks torque sensing. And the consensus on the torque sensing on the photon is that it is fantastic, the best there is.

I’d really like to see a video of this motor on a long climb in 100F weather.

300w with right gearing is really something you can feel . 500w is a lot when climbing with 34x50t gears. 650w is pulling almost alone with minimal rider effort ...
photon is stupidly overpriced . that's all ...

So the real-world sustained power limits on the Photon is 500W?
I think it is a bit higher than that and likely 750W, and seems well protected anyway. Yet it can peak at 1500W, and people complain. SMH...
That seems OK for the right market segment. I have a friend with a 250W specialized, and he loves it and rides it everyday. The specialized probably peaks at 500W bursts. I think those are the bikes that the Photon should be judged against.
In extensive comments on a YouTube video, CYC explain why that is EXACTLY their aim.

This motor is 7 pounds, very small, and fairly quiet. The ToSeven motors sound terrible and are quite heavy. The BBS02 is heavier and lacks torque sensing. And the consensus on the torque sensing on the photon is that it is fantastic, the best there is.
It is also still the pretty much the only choice for modern 1x bikes that will maintain the correct chainline and function over the whole cassette range.
I’d really like to see a video of this motor on a long climb in 100F weather.
I'll leave that to somebody else. I've got better things to do when it hits 37C, and I think most other people have, too.

Back