Cycle Analyst 3.1 Dead-Please Help

kronik129

10 µW
Hi guys. I love your forum, finally registered so I could post. I bought a new Cycle Analyst a few months ago and loved it while it lasted. I finally hooked up my pas sensor and as soon as I spun the crank the screen flickered and it died. I realize its because im running over 48 volts but I didn't thing a pas sensor would draw any where near enough current to kill it. The way they explain it its mostly torque sensors that will. My bad. I probably could of got it warrantied since it was only a month new but I know it was my fault and im not that kind of guy. Im wishing I just had now. Ive emailed grin and waited and waited and waited. Finally I just ordered a new cycle Analyst and low and behold it took 10 mins to take another 150 bucks of my money and I got one again. Id still like to try to fix the bad one but grin doesn't seem to be any help. I know they wont respond to my email anyway. I wish I had never told them it was my fault. Im pretty good with electronics and have every tool I could possibly need to rebuild it if I only had a schematic. I removed the voltage regulator mosfet and its shorted through every pin. lol. So about 85 volts was running through it into the 12 volt side of it when it died. The caps are fine as are the diodes. But when I give the board 12 volts on any of the 12 volt pins im also getting 12 volts on all the 5 volt pins. So im pretty sure the 5 volt regulator is shorted as well. But I cant find any sort of schematic for it to try testing so im hoping someone out there has schematics for anything other that the 12 volt regulator which is all I can find. Nothing comes on at all so im thinking the lcd is dead, it doesn't even light up. And im assuming maybe the mcu and who knows what else that runs on 5 volts got fried. Id really like to rebuild it just for the fun and experience but im afraid im gonna need some help that I cant seem to find. I have an oscope to do some probing but I don't even know where to put power to be able to test things. I didn't wanna make it worse by guessing. Im thinking about taking off the lcd so I can see the other side of the board. Advice anyone??

Grin is normally pretty good with customer service. You might try actually calling them on the phone. If you can actually reach someone they should be helpful.

If you're pretty good with electronics, the ca should be trivial for you to diagnose and repair especially if you've already identified some of the fried parts. Make your own schematic if you want one!

Good luck, and keep at it. You might as well keep trying for warranty anyway, since shipping you an additional CA costs grin 1/10 of the purchase price and keeping customers happy is important (and usually something Grin cares about, or used to).

Oh and sort of importantly I haven't really heard of this problem before. I thought the input ranges were pretty well understood. Anything that acts as a throttle should have 0-5v or something like that. You must have really frocked up your wiring lol.

Thank you. That's what ill do then. I agree every one else ive read of this happening to it just fried the mosfet and maybe a diode. I cant find anything that fried like mine did. I was worried about making it worse at first but now that ive bought a replacement im not as scared to rip in to it. I think I might try to make my own schematic. I could always post it here for everyone if Grin doesn't mind. They seem to be all for right to repair, but probably don't want a complete schematic out there cause someone could clone em. Thanks for the advice.

And as for testing voltages if I give it 12 volts then every pin is either 12 volts or ground. Even the power in had 12 volts with the mosfet removed. That I didn't quite understand it looks like the mosfet is the only way for it to get in but there must be something im missing. Ill try to keep everyone updated on progress. I doubt ill get it working but I think it would all be worth it if I was able to map out all the traces and make a schematic.

kronik129 said:
I realize its because im running over 48 volts but I didn't thing a pas sensor would draw any where near enough current to kill it. The way they explain it its mostly torque sensors that will.
That's correct. There is a total wattage that the pass-thru FET can handle for the 10v line, so as the voltage increases, the current has to decrease to maintain that.

However, a PAS / cadence sensor should just be using 5v, and that's a different thing, and I know of no PAS / cadence sensor that draws enough to cause a problem.

So while I don't know what failed to cause what you see, it's almost certainly not the typical failure.

Im pretty good with electronics and have every tool I could possibly need to rebuild it if I only had a schematic.
There are partial schematics in some of the CA repair threads, including one started by me with a few different CA's with different problems. There's also partial schematics here and there in other CA threads, and in the CAv3 beta thread by Justin_LE.

I removed the voltage regulator mosfet and its shorted through every pin. lol. So about 85 volts was running through it into the 12 volt side of it when it died. The caps are fine as are the diodes. But when I give the board 12 volts on any of the 12 volt pins im also getting 12 volts on all the 5 volt pins. So im pretty sure the 5 volt regulator is shorted as well.
That means that the 85v probably got passed thru to the MCU and everything else as well, which probably means everything not rated for that voltage including the LCD itself is toast. Even if the 85v didn't get thru, 12v on the 5v parts would toast them. It will also have fried the stuff on your bike connected to the 5v line, like the PAS sensor and the throttle.

the lcd is dead, it doesn't even light up.
THe LED is part of the regulator circuit; it's in series with it. No current flow means no LED.

Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't even realize the pas would of also gotten battery voltage and probably shorted. I din't dare try it again but now im gonna rip it off before I forget one day an try it again. Do you think its worth me trying to fix the CA3 then? I just hate the idea of throwing it away. Especially when its only 3 months old.

If the MCU is fried, Grin tech is the only place to get one. The rest of the parts can be found online, if you can identify them. However, the cost of all the parts, plus shipping from the different places, may be greater than that of the unit, not necessarily even counting whatever your time is worth.

There's no harm in trying to fix it, if you can get all the needed parts.

I'd talk to Grin Tech first, to see if they can help you verify if it is really as bad as it seems it might be.

I know it's been a while but I thought give an update. I ended uo talking to the guys who made it and pretty much realized it wasn't worth fixing. They said the high voltage had probably got to all the components and I would if had to replace too much. They did give me a discount on and new one which was really nice of them to offer though.

Back