Cycle Analyst (CA) v3, GMAC stuttering when applying throttle while pedaling

yenemy

100 µW
As in the title; I have pretty much everything set up with a new GMAC RTR kit (, Baserunner, Cycle Analyst). I have an ERider torque sensor as well, but it's not working at the moment (reporting 5v whether plugged in or not), so I'm just testing the throttle and pedaling at the moment.

Currently, when I'm pedaling at around 10mph or so, if I try to apply throttle, I feel the motor chattering/stuttering, with no forward movement. If I stop pedaling and coast for a while before applying the throttle, sometimes the motor will kick in, and sometimes it won't. In all cases, I see the throttle icon responding appropriately on the CA screen.

When I test the throttle with the bike unloaded (upside down, since I don't have a stand), when I apply the throttle the wheel will sometimes spin backwards for a moment, and/or stutter for a second, before starting to spin forwards.

I've been reading through the manual and paging through the CA settings, but nothing I've seen looks like it would cause this behavior. Any thoughts?

If you're not getting any capitalized limit flags on the CA diag screen, then the CA isn't doing any limiting to cause it, and so would probably be BR setting (speed limit, etc) or motor/BR issue (like hall signal problem).

If you do see a limit flag, then whcihever one it is tells you what segment of the CA settings are limiting, and can be causing the issue.

You can verify if it is or is not a CA issue by setting CA throttle mode to Bypass, which directly passes the throttle signal to the controller unmodified. Or Passthru which only modifies the total voltage range but doesn't change it for limiting, etc. (I don't recall if the PAS signal is used to generate a throttle at all in either mode, but throttle overrides PAS so still wont' affect the issue if using throttle)

If the problem persists, it's not the CA causing it, and we can proceed to check the BR settings and motor operation.

Hi all, thank you for the responses and advice! I got caught up with work but am debugging when I get a break :) I am talking with Peter from ebikes.ca, and walking through some debugging steps while I try to find a workable USB-TTL cable (I think I have one laying around).

I did turn off all the speed limits (set speed limit and no-pedal speed limit to max, and start speed to zero), and did a ride around the block with no stuttering at all, so that hints at either my settings being wrong, or something with the speed sensor. Peter has a recommendation for that, which I'm going to try tomorrow when I get a chance.

@Cryingmadman thank you for the offer! If I can't figure this out in the next week or two I might tag you in for some advice. My wife and I run a little home bakery as a passion project, so if you won't accept some cash maybe we could tempt you with baked goods or pizza :D

Hi all, thank you for the responses and advice! I got caught up with work but am debugging when I get a break :) I am talking with Peter from ebikes.ca, and walking through some debugging steps while I try to find a workable USB-TTL cable (I think I have one laying around).

I did turn off all the speed limits (set speed limit and no-pedal speed limit to max, and start speed to zero), and did a ride around the block with no stuttering at all, so that hints at either my settings being wrong, or something with the speed sensor. Peter has a recommendation for that, which I'm going to try tomorrow when I get a chance.

@Cryingmadman thank you for the offer! If I can't figure this out in the next week or two I might tag you in for some advice. My wife and I run a little home bakery as a passion project, so if you won't accept some cash maybe we could tempt you with baked goods or pizza :D
Making pies as we talk just email me and I will phone you right back I have a small tinkering shop where my riding friends and I break and fix things.

Cryingmadman

Back