Dahon Speed D7

I am going 50 km/h on a 200W rear geared hub, 12S Lipo, folding bike with rear suspension, the motor does'nt get hot, only slightlly worm, I tried putting the controller inside the battery bag, but it got really hot after a hard ride (a 450W 9 FET controller from bmsbattery, 22A limited), so I moved to a 12 FEt controller and put it outside the bag, the motor still handles the 30A without getting hot.

Wattever said:
I am going 50 km/h on a 200W rear geared hub, 12S Lipo, folding bike with rear suspension, the motor does'nt get hot, only slightlly worm, ...
Sounds interesting. Wattever, which hub is it? Do you have a picture and/or a link? I'm really interested.

Do you know the power (wattage) at 50km/h?

The power @ 50km/h is arround 1000W (I am not pedaling), I weight 87Kg and I am taking my son with me in the mornings - he weights about 15Kg, it does not affect much, but I am not going 50 with him on.

I bought the motor from a local importer in Israel, so I can'y say which brand it is - see attached pic. My friend followed my overvolting with a 24V 250W motor from another unknown factory, and it works as good as mine. we are using them for 3 months now, all is well.

Attachments

• P1050655.JPG
    P1050655.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,848
  • P1050657.JPG
    P1050657.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,848
  • P1050659.JPG
    P1050659.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,848
  • P1050660.JPG
    P1050660.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,848
Wattever, are you sure it's a 200W motor? The motor seems quite big and looks bigger than RVD 350W motor.

Actually, the size is comparable (or slightly bigger) with my 250 W direct drive motor:
Full_bike.png

cwah, just fyi, the Dahon Speed may or may not be the best option for you. Dahon uses a lot of proprietary parts (derailleur, etc.) and the community is generally unhappy with parts not being available after they go back. Thinking back, I would also look into using a xootr since those use standard parts.

The rear dropouts on the Speed are also a little small (133mm instead of 135mm) so it took a bit of wrestling to get the wheel in there.

The speed at $650 is also a bit pricey. But it does come with a pre-installed rack and fenders. And yes, I think it looks nice.

I don't have its specs, just what's written on it: 24V200 and what I was told when I bought it. It weights 3Kg, I guess these motors are rated just to pass regulations.

The motor spoke holes diameter is 130mm is that your size?

RDV, I'm planning to purchase a second hand Dahon speed (or something similar). Unlike new technology (and batteries), bikes don't change that much over year. So purchasing a Dahon speed 7 at 350$ would be of great value. How do you do to change the part? Can you just get completely different derailleur for example?

I'm also considering the Downtube FS (http://www.downtube.com/Full_Suspension_Folding_Bike.html). But UK prices are high and it's difficult to find a second hand one.

Wattever, is the spoke holes diameter equivalent to the fork dropout size? I'm not sure how to calculate that. BTW, the MXUS 350W weight 3 kg and the Cute100 weight 2.1 kg.

I mean the hub diameter between spoke holes ("d" in the picture)

Attachments

• spokes-length-calculator-english.jpg
    spokes-length-calculator-english.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 739
RVD, could you reuse your existing 7 gear cassette on the motor, or did you buy a new one?

2015-06-15 18.19.36.jpg

After moving a few years ago, I finally got around to putting this bike back together again. I have been commuting with it. It's been fun. I moved my watt meter from the rear back up to the front handlebars so it adds some more wires but at least i can see what's going on while riding. Maybe I'll splurge for a CycleAnalyst someday but I already have one on my other bike and this folder was always meant to be small, light, cheap, and portable.

Pros:
-sort of stealthy design
-light enough that i can pedal 100% of the time if i really want to

Cons:
-lacks power

I have been running this on 10s lipo (10ah) for my 16 mile round trip commute. I usually use up about 5-6 ah worth of battery round trip.

My route to/from work goes mostly on packed gravel so it gets the bike pretty dusty.

Back