Decoding Bafang motor types

HesselM

1 µW
Hi all,

I've been using a custom ebike with a "FM G320.250 13" motor for a while and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is the 200/205 RPM version or the 235/255RPM version (RPM specification seems to differ per site).

I know there is a "FM G320.250.R 13" and "FM G320.250.R 15" version. Does the latter nummer (13 vs 15) correspond to the RPM?
Full data listed by the QR on the motor is: "fm g320.250.r 13 008f1x5190056"

As far as I can decode:
- FM = front motor
- G320 = motor type? (i guess the H400 series)
- 250 = power (250W in my case)
- 13 or 15 = not a clue ...
- 008f1x5190056
---- 008 = connection type? (9 pin round cable)
---- f1x5190056 = production number / serial number? Does anyone know how to decode this?

I can't find any data on it on the bafang site or on sites of several retailers. Hope you guys can provide some insights!

Cheers,
Hessel

Last edited:
Since bafang changes whatever they feel like whenever they feel like without notifying anyone (including their dealiers) or updating their documentation, there's no certain way to know what any of the information means.

But there are a number of threads discussing it; one of the more data-full ones is here

and a few other posts / threads about it are in this search
though most of those are not relevant (usualy about serial cables or wires), some of them are about this issue and have some info in them about various bafang motor systems.

If you can run the motor then buy a $10 Laser RPM Tachometer on ebay and measure the rpm at the voltage your running.

If you are lucky the kv might be hand written inside the hub like on a cover plate.

Has anyone at all ever seen a kv on the outside of a motor?
I havent seen it yet myself or on the forums but people assume its in those mysterious numbers somewhere to try and decode.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been using a custom ebike with a "FM G320.250 13" motor for a while and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is the 200/205 RPM version or the 235/255RPM version (RPM specification seems to differ per site).

I know there is a "FM G320.250.R 13" and "FM G320.250.R 15" version. Does the latter nummer (13 vs 15) correspond to the RPM?
Full data listed by the QR on the motor is: "fm g320.250.r 13 008f1x5190056"

As far as I can decode:
- FM = front motor
- G320 = motor type? (i guess the H400 series)
- 250 = power (250W in my case)
- 13 or 15 = not a clue ...
- 008f1x5190056
---- 008 = connection type? (9 pin round cable)
---- f1x5190056 = production number / serial number? Does anyone know how to decode this?

I can't find any data on it on the bafang site or on sites of several retailers. Hope you guys can provide some insights!

Cheers,
Hessel
Sounds like the same Bafang that is known here as the "JUMP" motor because when the Uber CO. got out of ebikes, many of these motors were bought second-hand. You can seach "Jump motor" and get lot's of hits.
I have one of these and a Bafang SWX02, which is the same thing, so I can also tell you what these numbers translate to in "real World" terms

FM - Yes, frt, motor, RM is rear motor
G320 - Yes I think it is this (older) series that weighs about 2.5 Kg bare
250 - is a general guide to power handling in Watts, not a max rating. Generaly, hub motors will handle 2 to 3 times the manufactures guide.
13 or 15 - number of motor winds. Motor speed ranges are denoted by RPM @ 36 Volts (no load). I have found that Bafang is somewhat off on these numbers so I won't delve into them here. What really matters is how fast they will go on 48 Volts (flat, no pedaling).
For this model Bafang, those speeds are (in 26" wheel)
10 turn - 27 MPH (I would consider this a high/mid range motor). This what was used in the frt. drive Jump bikes. Around 24 MPH on 36 Volts, it was too fast for myliking on 52 Volts.
13 turn - about 24 MPH, a mid-range speed range and IMO, the best speed range for this "midi" hub motor
15 turn _ I don't have one of those, but have had many sm hub motors and I would guess it would do 21 to 22 MPH. That would be a low/mid speed range and would be good if if the rider encountered hills .
Note; I run my 13 turn on 52. Volts and a 20 Amp (max) controller so it's a solid MPH faster. 20 Amps is a good controller rating for these, but it will take more without harm. But like all these sm. hub motors, going over 20 A will make for a noiser and more throttler-sensitive riding experience, especially with a square-wave controller.

Last edited:
Back