Demographics?

49, single, male, disabled, renter, PC tech, ham, musically inclined, newb, with a swelled head.

26 yrs old, white spandex roadie cyclist, single, no kids, work from home as a database analyst, don't have a lot of money, but I'm frugal and have been called Jewish because I'm smart with money.

26, married, 5y/o daughter and one more on the way. I'm a currently a maintenance electrical technician in a wire & cable manufacturing plant; I program PLCs & troubleshoot machine control systems. Navy submarine veteran; I used to be a missile & torpedo control system maintainer & operator. Very interested in all things electrical; specifically renewable energies and EVs.

Im 35 and work as an embedded software engineer writing software for power electronics equipment from 125KVA to several MVA (Megawatt),
I've previously worked designing electronics and software for pair gain systems and internet access products for Ericsson.
I have a BE in computer systems engineering.
I'm into ham radio although I need to setup some proper aerials rather than the temporary one i have at the moment.

35, married, beautiful 1 year old daughter. I'm a television producer for a major Canadian network. I produce live newscasts. I play the piano and I like learning new things. I'm into meditation, controversial knowledge, reading books and weird things. I got into e-bikes because, yes they're cool and fun, but I hate traffic and riding the bus and paying for gas! When I look at that huge line-up of cars crossing the bridge and there is only one person per car, that really burns me. Anyways, I've learned so many interesting things with this hobby, and I still have a lot to learn. It is very satisfying!!! I have a big thirst for knowledge :mrgreen:

fractal said:
35, married, beautiful 1 year old daughter. I'm a television producer for a major Canadian network. I produce live newscasts. I play the piano and I like learning new things. I'm into meditation, controversial knowledge, reading books and weird things. I got into e-bikes because, yes they're cool and fun, but I hate traffic and riding the bus and paying for gas! When I look at that huge line-up of cars crossing the bridge and there is only one person per car, that really burns me. Anyways, I've learned so many interesting things with this hobby, and I still have a lot to learn. It is very satisfying!!! I have a big thirst for knowledge :mrgreen:

This is the first time I have ever seen those two words combined so I have to ask what is 'controversial knowledge'? You have piqued my interest.

Joseph C. said:
fractal said:

This is the first time I have ever seen those two words combined so I have to ask what is 'controversial knowledge'? You have piqued my interest.

Hi Joseph, I like reading books about conspiracy theories, UFO's, the illuminati...basically subjects that a lot of people dont want to talk about or think are ridiculous. I just find them fascinating. I call it controversial because every time I bring these subjects to the conversation table in my surroundings, I am rapidly confronted with total denial and the "duck your head in the sand attitude".

fractal said:
Hi Joseph, I like reading books about conspiracy theories, UFO's, the illuminati...basically subjects that a lot of people dont want to talk about or think are ridiculous. I just find them fascinating. I call it controversial because every time I bring these subjects to the conversation table in my surroundings, I am rapidly confronted with total denial and the "duck your head in the sand attitude".

Ah the answer to my question. Time to put the head back in the sand again. :mrgreen:

I used to have a book on paranormal mysteries years ago. It was quite fascinating but I would later discover much more convincing explanations that really took the gloss off much of it. Out went the intrigue surrounding the electric voice phenomena recordings, the Mary Celeste and spontaneous human combustion (the moral of the story there is don't be an obese smoker - not the most glorious way to go).

Aliens though are interesting. I would lay the odds at nearly 100 per cent that there are many alien civilisations out beyond the reach of our relatively tiny Solar System.

Unfortunately, the distances are really against us and looking at the past doesn't help either. Unless superluminal travel is possible. If OPERA are correct this may be possible. So who knows!

Neat Thread!

Hi, I'm Dayn (Hi, Dayn)

I'm an Electro-holic! :mrgreen:

I'm 39, Never married, currently single (funny though, my previous GF wouldn't marry for years, then after 5 years I decided we weren't the best match, and now she would!! :roll: :lol: ) no kids, but I'm currently living at home again, due to health issues and have a great family that is kind enough to help me out so I can work around the house and on the odd bicycle or E-Bike to sell.

Originally moved back home to help with my father's recovery from a serious head injury in a bicycling accident, only to discover my own health was failing. I have some weird form of chronic fatigue that has attached to it any number of symptoms depending on the week, I can be feeling like I have the flu, motion sick, body aches or like now, completely fine!! :lol: :roll: :p

It's been frustrating not being able depend on health week to week, and has kept me from doing a 9 to 5 job at the local bike shop, but E-Bikes are working pretty good so far, I work when I can, build a bike up to sell, and I will be going to UBI (United Bicycle Institute) this spring as the new location in Portland, OR is just then receiving accreditation, so I can use my GI Bill to pay for it, where I will learn everything from opening and running a bicycle shop, repair, maintenance and custom frame building.

I am also working with the local bike shop to assemble E-Bikes for sale, we have sold one so far (he's still leery of anything electrical, but liking E-Bikes more and more) and are building another, this time a mid-drive using a Golden Motor "Trike" motor and NuVinci Dev kit auto shifting CVP "Internal Geared" Hub.

I'm also very interested in news of all kinds, bit of a news junkie, and ever since when I was in the Air Force, and got better and more complete information from "new media" (internet, radio, etc.) than the "Secret" briefing I got before being deployed to Saudi Arabia for this latest "Gulf War" (Threat assessment and a foiled attack on one of our troop transport planes being shot at with a shoulder fired missile, I had heard all about it a week previous and in greater detail. :roll: :lol: ) in 2002 - 2003, I have been a news junkie.

I also like listening to shows like "Coast to Coast Am" and all the weird and interesting programs, with everything from high-tech classified aircraft & non-lethal weapons, to aliens, ghosts and everything else in-between.

Half the fun of Coast to Coast is that you might just be entertained laughing at the nut they are interviewing talking about how he can call UFO's to a field on command, or the lady who says aliens talk "through" her (like she's possessed or something :lol: ) to inventors of hydrogen powered cars and other amazing scientific experiments/discoveries, etc.

I really discovered E-Bikes by accident, we were looking on-line for something dad could ride while he was healing and re-learning how to ride a bike again, and first found hydrogen fuel cell powered bikes (so kewl!! but not ready for retail or for a "shade tree" mechanic like myself to build. :wink: ) and then I discovered this incredible site with guys like Drbass, LFP, JohninCR Amberwolf, Dogman, Kfong etc. , etc. building, testing and riding really great E-Bikes, and I was hooked! :twisted:

hi, 34, all but married for 11 years 2 young boys 1.75 greyhounds. i work 50+ hours driving artics (semi trucks) from distribution centre to shops for a major uk retailer. own house slowly falling apart as well as slowly converting my shed into a proper machine shop.
basic gcse's (academic i am/was not) and did a bit of everything but sex trade until i fell into trucking. learnt some precision engineering - result!
used to be into cars and bikes until the recession or whatever you call it began around 2007 and things got too expensive.
too many big ideas, not enough time or money

hair fire.JPG

Born in 1955. Semi retired, married and father of two. I like to tinker with things in my garage and ride my e-bike and dirt bike. Working with a buddy in the start up stages of getting a wood fired oven business off the ground. Been a city guy all of my life born in Vancouver British Columbia Canada and now enjoying the country style of life on the Sunshine Coast just a ferry ride from the big city of Vancouver. Any one heading up this way with an e-bike and wanting to hit the trail shoot me a PM.

Wayne

This is fun!

26, mostly single, work in the music industry.
Classically trained cellist, vegetarian, fitness freak, composer. scared of electricity!

Have been lucky enough to travel the world from my job and I love what I do.

Here's one of mine (orchestra / choir / rock!)
I write lots of trailer music. Some you may have seen. I also worked with some of the film music greats - hans Zimmer, James Newton howard on The Dark Knight, Iron Man etc.

[youtube]_rY3M6NXm4k[/youtube]

Wow! Very impressive! I love that kind of stuff! I have a small bkgnd in music also but not professionally, just always loved it, play alto and tenor saxophone, drums and a bit of piano. Just enough to appreciate your efforts!

I am 36not father of one beautiful little girl of 9 months, have always been mechanical, graduated from the School of Automotive Machinists, worked on the Infinity Indy program with Eddie Cheever building engines for the IRL, then went to work for a shop in San Diego as head R&D tech designing headers and exhaust systems, then decided it was time to try it myself and opened my own machine shop. Had lots of fun doing this kind of work but never made any real money just cool bragging rights of building things like the fastest street / drag car on the west coast. I then went into construction doing multi million dollar homes until the bottom fell out ofbthe economy ans now I manage the production of a large company local to me that manufactures anti fatigue floor mats for big companies like Honda, GM, and many others both in and outside the US. Nothing as cool as some of you but I have had some fun things to build for sure!

Whiplash said:
Wow! Very impressive! I love that kind of stuff! I have a small bkgnd in music also but not professionally, just always loved it, play alto and tenor saxophone, drums and a bit of piano. Just enough to appreciate your efforts!

I am 36not father of one beautiful little girl of 9 months, have always been mechanical, graduated from the School of Automotive Machinists, worked on the Infinity Indy program with Eddie Cheever building engines for the IRL, then went to work for a shop in San Diego as head R&D tech designing headers and exhaust systems, then decided it was time to try it myself and opened my own machine shop. Had lots of fun doing this kind of work but never made any real money just cool bragging rights of building things like the fastest street / drag car on the west coast. I then went into construction doing multi million dollar homes until the bottom fell out ofbthe economy ans now I manage the production of a large company local to me that manufactures anti fatigue floor mats for big companies like Honda, GM, and many others both in and outside the US. Nothing as cool as some of you but I have had some fun things to build for sure!

Haha, a modest multi instrumentalist! That's quite alot of range dude... I know Jozztek plays Sax too. It's only a matter of time before the ES band comes together.... (I think not!). I tend to pick one thing and try and dominate it. I did once get a grade 5 certificate for Clarinet, having not ever played it...as they messed up the admin:)
It's not all apocalyptic end-of-the-world stuff, but that tends to communicate itself quite well.
So you used to build and race car engines too? That's quality. I've always loved the sound of raw power...

17, single Finishing High school, Home schooled.

Live on a farm(Organic Dairy for those who are curious) Some of my hobbies MTBs, ATVs, computers. Work on farm and part time computer repair.

Researching saving planning and purchasing my 1st ebike build

I'm 55. Single. Retired Industrial Automation programer. Now I just operate the family farm, contract database programming and am a lycra roadie.

I'm 22, and I work part time as an Aerospace Engineer in the launch services industry ( I launch satellites into space, so I suppose you could call me a "Rocket Scientist" :shock: ). I am also in the progress of getting a degree in Electrical Engineering. I got into electric vehicles from my work on an electric snowmobile for the SAE's Clean Snowmobile Challenge. I am currently suffering the curse of, too many hobbies, not enough time. :wink:

38, married, 4 kids, working in pharma industry. I am a medical doctor with experience in ear- / nose- / throat surgery and skull base surgery, and I have a PhD in a neurovascular bypass operation. My current job includes a lot of clinical pharmacology and clinical safety for some antiproliferative drugs (anti cancer) in the area of pulmonary arterial hypertension (killing disease), talking a lot to health authorities (FDA, EMA, etc) as the safety representative of the company I work for.

I am into RC helis, violin playing, and ebikes. Both my wife and I use our ebikes on a daily basis, so that we can get some fresh air and save some bucks on gasolin (Volvo XC90). And for me, on my 15km commute, it takes me less than 30 minutes, which is quicker than taking the car with all the traffic in rush hour (45min - 1h). I love tinkering on my bike, and learning by experience. Of course, I also love riding my high power bike. And what a ride it is!

Just turned 20, not quite married, no kids. Working in an E bike retail outlet doing maintenance and R&D on new products. Planning on moving to Seattle to UW with my girlfriend, she is getting a PhD to be a nurse practitioner, as for me some variety of EE/ME degree to build electric motors that make things go fast 8)

Interesting to read through this old thread. When it started I'd have been reluctant to contribute, as I was still working and a bit restricted in what I could have said.

Anyway, here goes. Now 60 (as of a couple of weeks ago), took early retirement two years ago, after a career that started as a chemist, working for our Atomic Energy Authority, then switched careers, retrained in EE and aerodynamics, and ended up working for our Ministry of Defence as a scientist. Was in flight test for 20 odd years (and a private pilot, as well), then moved to defence research management, with a stint as the Operations Director of the UK Defence Research Acquisition Organisation, looking after our research programme. Finally, I ended up at what had been our (somewhat infamous) Porton Down Chemical and Biological Defence Establishment, which by then was the HQ for all UK defence research, where I managed the programme to rationalise all our research establishments, close a bunch of older labs, build a big new secure lab complex and move around 1400 people into new jobs. After that they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and ended up with a great early retirement package, an index-linked pension and a rather nice tax-free gratuity.

The past ten years or so have been dominated by a growing interest in building efficient, minimally polluting, transport and living systems. I was a fairly early adopter of hybrids, buying my first Prius in 2005, and still have one. Ebikes are an extension of that, as is the solar powered electric boat I built a year or two ago. The latest project (as in the past year or so) has been designing and hopefully building a near-zero energy input new house. I've dreamt of living in a house that has little or no impact on the environment for years, and now the generosity of my former employer has made it possible (I hope).

Ebikes are my primary form of local transport now. If I have to drive the car, then I always have a folding ebike in the boot (trunk) and park outside the local city and ride the ebike in. Not only does it keep me fit, but I get a great buzz from beating the traffic and not paying crazy parking charges.

I've done a bit of TV work over the years, as an extra on some British historic drama programmes from the early 70's and more recently as an expert on Scrapheap Challenge (Junkyard Wars in the US). I flew the English Channel in a microlight (ultralight) a few years ago, in the compnay of around 100 other microlights, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of powered flight.

My major failing is an uncontrollable intolerance of those who are unwilling to listen to reason, or indulge in a balanced debate without resorting to insult. I regret to say this is getting worse as I age, and I fear I run the risk of turning into a grumpy old git..................

28years old, married no kids
Born and raised in the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico where hills are everywhere. Graduated in 2007 with a BS in civil engineering and worked as a structural engineer at Boeing in the Everett factory right away for a year then went to work for Pratt and Whitney on the f119 & f135 engines. After that I moved to south Florida and currently working on GE energy gas turbines ever since.

Musician since I was 10 always interested in cars, engines, music and all types of electronics. It is a natural thing for me to learn stuff quick and research the $hit out of everything. Currently pursuing my Masters in mechanical engineering. Wifey is a registered nurse and wants to stay the same.

21yo EV-nerd. My new nickname is EV stemming from my real name Evan. I'm always on the verge of flunking out of EE. On the other hand I can't get my hands off CATIA, CNCing things, finding free/cheap EV components, and convincing my parents to get an EV even though they are old farts. I am also trying to commercialize a electric skateboard drive system but I'm getting hung up on the patent process and having zero cash for someone else to do it for me.

I'm from a Chicago suburb.. And I have no idea wht got me I into ebikes and the emotos. I couple years ago I became more heavily involved with a college EV cub. It connected me with a lot of people I am sure will be of assistance in the future. Currently I'm helping start an 85kW peak electric formula
team at purdue to compete internationally.

Soon I will launch the product on kickstarter... Well see how it all pans out. I will need all of ES's support

Jeremy Harris said:
I regret to say this is getting worse as I age, and I fear I run the risk of turning into a grumpy old git..................

Well I'm a grumpy slightly younger git so you're in good company.

Looks like I'm about average in terms of demographics.

41, white, married with 2 kids. Degree in Zoology, worked with "animals" for 12 years in the Police here ending up as a Detective. Left the job earlier this year to chase other opportunities and had a couple of minor hurdles along the way (broken leg=no work), so currently unemployed. Good time to finish off my house extensions (second story addition which ended up being significantly bigger than the base house :twisted: ).

Born in Oz, lived everywhere (alot of middle east stuff in the 70's), schooled in England, uni in Edinburgh and moved back to Oz 20 years ago.

Total and utter revhead- love my cars, motorbikes, anything with a motor, nitro/electric powered RC stuff etc. Got into electric power to try and justify using my fuel thirsty V8 powered cars? Not really- I just love building things and a quiet stealthy ebike really appealed. I take it wherever I can now- I find myself trying to think of things I need at the hardware store just to go for a ride!

My wife says I'm a geek/nerd/dork (and various other things) and she's probably right. I play with computers a bit and like many others here regard myself as a bit of a jack of all trades. Definitely a master of none!

Back